PWL216

C-121 Front End Loader

PWL216

About a year ago I bought a C-121 auto with the intention of using it as my go-to mower. Shortly thereafter I got a great deal on a low hour 314-8.  It ran perfect and had several attachments - it became my new go-to mower.  So, I decided to repurpose the 121 to be a front end loader. After purchasing the build plans from P.F Engineering (which are excellent), I realized I couldn’t build it for less than $2k in material. I decided to look for a used one and found a Thompson TC10 local to me, mounted on an “end of life” 1077, for $1,000.  The loader swap itself was pretty straight forward. The only modifications needed were drilling a couple of mounting holes in the tractor frame, grinding away a little of the loader top frame so the hood opened/closed and welding in a new hydraulic pump mount. I have a few things to button up still and the bucket itself needs attention but it’s fully functional. I also bought a pair of clamp-on pallet forks.

I also did a “refresh” of the 121. The total project cost is shown below. Roughly $2,300, with just the FEL itself being around $1,300. 

Tractor

C-121 Auto $500
Solid engine mounts $50

Front End Loader

Johnson 10TC $1,000
Hydraulic fluid $35
Spare hydraulic hose $40

Ignition

Battery $35
Battery cables $20
Points & Condenser $20

Fuel

Carb & Gasket $65
Electric fuel pump $60 (later removed)
Air filter $10
Fuel filter $15
Fuel line $10
Spark plug $5

Decals and Paint

Decals $115
Paint $30

Lights

Headlight Lens $45
LED Headlights $25
Rear lights $25

Misc $200

1CE2F1FA-C6A9-4BFD-A77E-8571E3775562.jpeg

3B737AD5-3E5D-4B9C-B6D4-67336A06908A.jpeg

560F07EF-DD6C-492D-A5A9-8EE6CEAFF0BB.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine

Niiiiice :handgestures-thumbupright:

elcamino/wheelhorse

Interesting rear hitch is that how you mount the weight box ?

Blasterdad

Nice job! 

I noticed your front wheels are on backwards, if you put them on with the valve stems in it will make the front stance wider which will help with side to side stability. :thumbs:

• Like 1

PWL216
2 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Interesting rear hitch is that how you mount the weight box ?

This back end hitch area is definitely home made - no ballast box. I intend to cut it off and replace it with a proper ballast box and hitch.

• Like 2

PWL216
8 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

Nice job! 

I noticed your front wheels are on backwards, if you put them on with the valve stems in it will make the front stance wider which will help with side to side stability. :thumbs:

Dohhh! Thx ;)

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

CCW

A FEL is a wish that will never happen. :wacko:

• Like 1

Pullstart

Looks great!  

• Thanks 1

Bill D

I would love to have a loader. Probably not going to happen.

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, CCW said:

A FEL is a wish that will never happen. :wacko:

48 minutes ago, Bill D said:

I would love to have a loader. Probably not going to happen.

One never knows ...

We have one ... And then some.   

• Like 2

c-series don

If that were mine I would definitely not be paying attention and walk around back of that tractor and smash my shins! Nice job on tractor and loader! The 1978-79 C Series are my favorite. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1