meadowfield

C-121 restoration - proper back from the dead stuff...

WHX??

What the heck holds that hood on ...looks as bad as the motor tin! 

• Like 1

Goldnboy

The tool you used to remove  the flywheel  is what I recommend  on removing  the engine pulley by threading 2 bolts in the 4 possible  holes. With my luck the bolts would have broken the groove on the pulley the way you accomplished  the task!

• Like 1

meadowfield
7 minutes ago, Goldnboy said:

The tool you used to remove  the flywheel  is what I recommend  on removing  the engine pulley by threading 2 bolts in the 4 possible  holes. With my luck the bolts would have broken the groove on the pulley the way you accomplished  the task!

I didn't have any 1/4-20 bolts to hand - so knew the risks...  Might put some on the shopping list for next time (and some longer bolts for the flywheel - they only went in a few threads)

meadowfield
17 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

What the heck holds that hood on ...looks as bad as the motor tin! 

Thats a task for another day....  lessons in welding rust :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

Seeing what you guys have built out of much less, this’ll be another dandy in no time!

• Like 2

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

This could get good. I'll be here following.

@meadowfield

I can't download those videos onto my phone. Do you have a YouTube channel or link?

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: this will be a fun one to watch for sure!

953 nut
21 hours ago, meadowfield said:

Thats a task for another day....  lessons in welding rust :D

:text-coolphotos:           I guess we in the USA are a bit spoiled, too many good parts available to replace rusted out items.

• Like 2

meadowfield
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

:popcorn:

This could get good. I'll be here following.

@meadowfield

I can't download those videos onto my phone. Do you have a YouTube channel or link?

added youtube :)

• Thanks 1

Stormin
22 hours ago, meadowfield said:

image.png.0ab1bb021ff7b246ed67a9654c86956d.png

I can beat that, Tyke. :DP1030158.JPG.91f4801e0806cbe3ac77948c4d8e6fd7.JPGP1030159.JPG.1d71cb5d42e1a7bf5a9632769d16265a.JPG

P1030160.JPG

P1030161.JPG

• Haha 2

meadowfield
2 minutes ago, Stormin said:

P1030160.JPG

looks like a case of poor maintenance Norm... :D

Stormin

Nowt to do with me. C-125 I was getting up and running for a mate.:P

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 1

meadowfield

todays update...  

Managed to remove the seized hitch pin with a lot of heat and a big hammer - easier than drilling, but a lot of heat needed. Had to grind end where it was badly peened before knocking through.

image.png.3016be041cfc8a9fc78c17fd629ad31e.png

before dropping transmission.

image.png.4113b976fe142c711643f96422805864.png

RH key was rusted solid - so more heat and a big punch, pieces shattered off!

image.png.5b6f92a51d321702b7d2622d728e8a13.png

four oil seals ordered and ready to split...

image.png.de7c4e4de58038ddbda367c635952813.png

tempted to put a diff lock in this one - but I think time is against me at the moment. Despite being on lock down for 8 weeks :o 

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, meadowfield said:

diff lock

How would you go about that?

meadowfield
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

How would you go about that?

there.s a build thread somewhere from 2014

image.png.bbaaaa009863f39cb773d614f0c889e3.png

• Excellent 4

Pullstart

Woah woah woah!  That’s amazing!  What about the gear shift, or did this become just a differential case driven by the brake shaft?

• Like 1

meadowfield

todays exciting update :D

dropped the oil... well some of it.

image.png.5311a53cbebfa1ee1ee2f701e32d121d.pngimage.png.2e53bef2fced69cbc8d524d653ac8322.png

turns out it was mainly water, makes sense knowing how rusty the axles are and how much oil has leaked. Probably each time there was a hard frost water was being pushed out.

image.png.0896860c069a4b5afd4fb6d809a0b932.png

image.png.344c29a7a73d55d545ca1804f2865548.png

I've seen worse though, just needs a good clean. Axle seals arrived today, waiting for brake and input seals. Bearings all good though!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, meadowfield said:

clean

Will you do a diesel or k1 flush or do you have a different method?

meadowfield
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Will you do a diesel or k1 flush or do you have a different method?

full strip and clean with gasoline!

22DB89CD-A1B4-48DD-8C4C-8D095B58C045.jpeg.8f6f5408360fdda8cbc84d5ec550fd72.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

meadowfield

Today’s update... all back together! 

EFD41E93-4655-4251-8198-8CA31D38AB79.jpeg

however having rebuilt a few and done extensive mods - even an 'expert' can get it wrong!

This this has been 'assembled' about seven times.

1. put main shaft in, both forks, forgot both sliding gears - so shift forks back out every time  (remember those fiddly bearings and the lock pin - yeah it falls into the bottom every time)

2. put main shaft and sliding gears in, couldn't get top sliding shaft in - couldn't see why

3. as above, but with shaft in - tried to put cluster gear shaft in - wouldn't go - pulled apart - shift forks out again.

4. put all gears in but then noticed 2/3 gear =s were swapped, no chance of cluster gear going in.

5. all gears in...  phew...  whats this washer?????  

6. added small shim on input shaft - basically back to square one as after putting the high/low gears in, this should go next, before the main input shaft.

7. success :D

Maybe the manual might have helped - I did look at Steves videos yesterday, but I can see he suffers the same challenges - he does a good job of not cussing - I swore at those shift fork ball bearings a lot!!!

....tried all gears and made sure both housings slid together with a fresh gasket, axle seals and input shaft seal are done, waiting for brake shaft seal.

243457A6-7AAC-4546-8C2E-61F62C287320.jpeg.491523f5ce564ffc6fdbe6555f44fa97.jpeg

and more goodies arrived - new plug lead, air cleaner, fuel hose, rubber bung for fuel tank and the input shaft seal.

742BFA6F-3746-4643-8764-6ECD6C699DC8.jpeg

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 7

Stormin
12 hours ago, meadowfield said:

even an 'expert' can get it wrong!

Comes with age. :hide:

meadowfield

Today’s update... a full day of sanding and wire wheeling...  

FBAC286A-5791-48EB-86AF-9C40FA29D22C.jpeg.a122d5d99f53481074734bd8d9cc904e.jpeg

FD396182-F552-4A07-839B-F76C77EA1645.jpeg.558b3678c0f9fd5e277fe4b417c5c43b.jpeg

hopefully get some paint on tomorrow :)

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1