BHunter

Kohler 181s vacuum fuel pump kit

BHunter

Hi Guys. 

Can someone point me in the right direction to get a rebuild kit for my fuel pump? I’m not getting fuel

to the carb. 

thanks, Bob

DD200309-15A4-4DDB-9BDC-8EEDC2A9C98C.jpeg

• Sad 1

WHX??

Good Luck Bob, I'm in the same boat with a 161. Fellas told me to get ahold of @buckrancher as he has some. PMed him a week ago but no response yet.

Worse comes to worse may try procuring some diaphragm material and making my own.  

Even bought cheapy kits for the cam lever ones off fleabay to rebuild a couple of those and still no luck getting a working pump. 

Guessing you got the cock open and it's not plugged in the tank? 

squonk
7 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Good Luck Bob, I'm in the same boat with a 161. Fellas told me to get ahold of @buckrancher as he has some. PMed him a week ago but no response yet.

Worse comes to worse may try procuring some diaphragm material and making my own.  

Even bought cheapy kits for the cam lever ones off fleabay to rebuild a couple of those and still no luck getting a working pump. 

Jim I can PM Brian's wife on FB and let her know you're trying to get a hold of him.

• Like 1

BHunter
7 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I cleaned the tank out and put a new Petcock in. I’m getting gas to the pump but not after. I don’t know what the inside of the pump looks like. The carb was really nasty. The PO let it sit for many years with gas in it. 
I’m don’t know if the motor is building enough pressure to make pump work. Are you supposed to prime the carb first? 

WHX??

That would be great if you can Mike.

Might as well take it apart Bob you got nothing to lose. You'll  find a valve plate in ther with two little springs and check valves that are gunked up. the diaphragm will have to be replaced if we can get ahold of Brian  and he has them.

I was going to do a rebuild instructional on them once I get mine sorted out. 

No you shouldn't have to prime it. 

20200825_162914[1].jpg

20200825_162754[1].jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

Jennifer

Same here on the boat.. if anyone finds them or get someone to reply I would like a kit!!!  I asked this same question months as well....   happy hunting!!

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Folks I've got a phone number at home for Bryan.

Pullstart

@dells68 has made a block off plate with an 1/8” tap and used a remote mounted late model vacuum pump with success...

080FAC43-9083-4A2A-9C18-6BAAF4EC8409.jpeg

• Like 2

BHunter

@WHX24 I did what you said and figured I had nothing to loose. I took it all apart and was able to clean the nasty tar like stuff off the  diaphragm with wax and grease remover. It runs great now. It doesn’t crank , it fires right up . :)

• Excellent 4

BOB ELLISON

I ordered 2 sets from then and now in june of this year. I rebuilt my c160 pump and it works good. But you have to call him. I never could get a return email. 

http://www.then-now-auto.com

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BHunter
7 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I ordered 2 sets from then and now in june of this year. I rebuilt my c160 pump and it works good. But you have to call him. I never could get a return email. 

http://www.then-now-auto.com

Thank you

WHX??
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

@dells68 has made a block off plate with an 1/8” tap and used a remote mounted late model vacuum pump with success...

080FAC43-9083-4A2A-9C18-6BAAF4EC8409.jpeg

Ney ney Jose.... Bob and I are purists of heart and Kohler. We want orginal! :lol:

Good news Bob I should just try putting the original diaphragm back in again nothing to lose. 

@BOB ELLISON I was under the impression then and now only had kits for the cam lever pumps?

We are talking about the pulse pumps here OEM on the 7 & 8 HP's.

BOB ELLISON
12 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Ney ney Jose.... Bob and I are purists of heart and Kohler. We want orginal! :lol:

Good news Bob I should just try putting the original diaphragm back in again nothing to lose. 

@BOB ELLISON I was under the impression then and now only had kits for the cam lever pumps?

We are talking about the pulse pumps here OEM on the 7 & 8 HP's.

Yes I'm referring  to the original fuel pump that works off the cam. Thank for the correction. 

BHunter
4 hours ago, WHX24 said:

That would be great if you can Mike.

Might as well take it apart Bob you got nothing to lose. You'll  find a valve plate in ther with two little springs and check valves that are gunked up. the diaphragm will have to be replaced if we can get ahold of Brian  and he has them.

I was going to do a rebuild instructional on them once I get mine sorted out. 

No you shouldn't have to prime it. 

20200825_162914[1].jpg

20200825_162754[1].jpg

Your springs are bigger. Mine have 4 coils and are very light weight.  Do they have different fuel pumps for different hp motors? I wish i took a picture of all the slime on my springs and other parts. No wonder it wouldn’t pump. 

Jennifer
1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

http://www.then-now

8C1405D9-0D4C-46A1-8804-02598C8FC2B5.jpeg

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 3

ebinmaine

I found Brian's phone number. 

I'll call him tomorrow and tell him y'all's is lookin ferr im...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

WHX??
12 hours ago, BHunter said:

Your springs are bigger.

Correct Bob those are not the original springs. Those are from a gas valve conversion kit ( @squonk knows) that I was just experimenting with but seem two heavy. This pump did not have any or got lost in disassembly. The originals are quite dainty. 

This kit was from an ebay cheapy source for the cam style. Not much to it but two of them for 14 bucks. No valve plate gasket, valves, springs or anything. What you see is what you get. Note the made in China ....... go figure. That first pic I had to make a valve plate gasket using the old one as a template. 

Good enough to experiment with tho.

Was thinking grind off the diaphragm to cam lever connector and try just using the diaphragm in a pulse style pump. 

Like Jennifer have one coming from then and now as well to play with and evaluate. 

Like I mentioned earlier trying to collect information about pumps to do a rebuild  instructional thread on them. Plus I'd like to have a spare of each style on the shelf ready to roll if one goes out. 

20200824_163325.jpg

Edited by WHX24

WHX??
12 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

:text-thankyoublue: EB 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Folks I just talked to Brian. He has a regular house which is the number that I have and then he has a cottage which is where they've actually been staying most of the summer. I happened to catch him when they were home because he has the day off.

He does have some of the diaphragms available for sale. He said to go ahead and p.m. him through Redsquare and he will try to remember to check his email more often.

• Thanks 1

WHX??
15 hours ago, BHunter said:

able to clean the nasty tar like stuff off the  diaphragm with wax and grease remover. I

Tried that too Bob mine was just too stiff, brittle and dried out for further service. 

Edited by WHX24

WHX??
13 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

But you have to call him.

Did you get one ordered from then and now   @Jennifer ? 

I am having problems getting through but will keep trying. 

buckrancher

WHX24 pm sent

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

:text-thankyoublue: EB 

No worries brother man

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, buckrancher said:

WHX24 pm sent

Thank you Brian. Good to talk to you again.

tom2p
19 hours ago, BHunter said:

@WHX24 I did what you said and figured I had nothing to loose. I took it all apart and was able to clean the nasty tar like stuff off the  diaphragm with wax and grease remover. It runs great now. It doesn’t crank , it fires right up . :)

music to my ears !

the Kohler in our 704 was similar - the pullstart barely engaged but just a small amount was enough and it would fire immediately 

ran like this for over 20+ years - just a few spark plug changes ... never touched the points