Pullstart

New XI in the herd!

PeacemakerJack
On 8/24/2020 at 8:53 AM, pullstart said:

I gave this beast a bath today, and while I still think of a name I consider if I should wet sand the brush marks out or leave it as is as a worker?

I would say leave it as a worker for now.  If you really get to liking it and want to shine it up down the road...then go for it😉😎

• Thanks 2

stevebo

Kevin,

You will fall in love. The 520xi does not have the power steering therefore I would not think about a loader for it. The 520lxi or 522xi would be the way to go for a loader. Tomorrow I plan on installing the rear grass bagger on my 520xi with some help from a good buddy (actually he is doing most of the work)😜

• Like 1

Pullstart
14 minutes ago, stevebo said:

Kevin,

You will fall in love. The 520xi does not have the power steering therefore I would not think about a loader for it. The 520lxi or 522xi would be the way to go for a loader. Tomorrow I plan on installing the rear grass bagger on my 520xi with some help from a good buddy (actually he is doing most of the work)😜

Thanks for the tip Steve!  Compared to a 1054, would this steer the same if not better... given the same tire combo?  I’m sure either would be an improvement over my 1056 with 6” front tires :handgestures-thumbupright:

stevebo

Kevin yes however I had a 522xi with the power steering and it made it real Noce to use with loader. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

Wow, it’s been a while with this one too!

In the first weekend of September we had a wedding in the back field.  During prep, I stuck the kids and the groom’s daughter on tractors and away they went.  Well she was on the XI due to having low range (I didn’t tell her that) and cruise control, so easy driving.  She stalled it by standing up off the seat and didn’t:t remember to depress the brake.  Long story short, the ignition switch was twisted clean off and I’ve delayed replacing it until now.  I’ve had a switch, but was unsure of the pin out as the diagrams seemed to contradict the switch terminals I found.  Tonight, I stuck the switch on after confirming the battery and light circuit and just went for it.  It sure does sound good!

Now to just get it through the dash and put back together!

3C123140-002F-42F4-B0BF-DB50D7CD55F1.jpeg

• Excellent 2

Pullstart

Pullstart

Spent some time working on this one.  The smart steer has been eliminated.  I took the linkage off and spun the rod end 1/2 turn, then drilled a hole in the frame and tightened it up.

In this connector, I moved the white and purple wires.  For some reason, the cruise control lit up when the PTO clutch was engaged, and vice versa the other way.  Now purple goes to white and white to purple, but the lights are correct.

Pulled the deck off, it’ll end up being a full time loader tractor.

078510C8-CC93-4E79-B88D-C6AC1C11A7BC.jpeg

40863F77-2C4F-4227-9B61-07530E2AF124.jpeg

BBCB8778-7489-43DC-B3C7-2FA5F8B31730.jpeg

17FB9F75-0749-4D95-B85F-5D5236F20F03.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

I quick looked to see what might be needed to fit this Not Really Wheel Horse 48” plow to the XI.  If I extend the frame 10” and make it 14-1/4” wide at the rear axle, it might just work!

473669E0-6FEB-4BDC-9DD6-269990E2DA2F.jpeg

05F81565-843A-40A8-A689-4E89D7B3C80C.jpeg

2CD3648E-857B-41C1-886F-C5AB7044F5FE.jpeg

C7E7CBBA-9A3E-4357-85B2-E0EA472A18A2.jpeg

D2BFAF57-EDA2-4B89-AB74-4794A6C68028.jpeg

WHX??

@JoeM I think he's hooked on how well your xi does pushing. Please don't let him mount something, a bench vice perhaps, on the hood. :ychain::lol:

• Like 1

Pullstart
21 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

@JoeM I think he's hooked on how well your xi does pushing. Please don't let him mount something, a bench vice perhaps, on the hood. :ychain::lol:

Uncle Jim, I barely have a bench vice on a bench!  I gotta put one somewhere useful!

• Haha 1

JoeM
3 hours ago, WHX24 said:

let him mount something

Might just have to look around and see if some big honking ceramic magnets are available? That would allow the maximum versatility for directional vise mounting.

I modified my plow to use the quick attach U bolts that hold on the deck. Much easier that installing the piece up under to the rock shaft. The issue with this there is no down pressure, just float. I will take a few pic and post if you may be interested. 

I know with some weight on the rear mine will push. Those ATV tires on the rear are the real deal. Only issue on the steep asphalt drive they work but chains would help. 

• Like 1

Pullstart
5 hours ago, JoeM said:

Might just have to look around and see if some big honking ceramic magnets are available? That would allow the maximum versatility for directional vise mounting.

I modified my plow to use the quick attach U bolts that hold on the deck. Much easier that installing the piece up under to the rock shaft. The issue with this there is no down pressure, just float. I will take a few pic and post if you may be interested. 

I know with some weight on the rear mine will push. Those ATV tires on the rear are the real deal. Only issue on the steep asphalt drive they work but chains would help. 

I only have flat driveway, shy of the approach at the road.  If needed, I’ll stick some skinny tires out back with chains too.  I have to build a lift linkage of some type, so I’ll look into the idea of using the mower lift.  I wasn’t dressed to be crawling around in the cold floor, so never got directly under the tractor last night.

Thanks Joe!

JoeM

XI plow lift modification.

1697443167_XiLiftbar1.jpg.be650042a0f267c2828a1c7b093e3070.jpg

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor
On 2/4/2021 at 12:39 PM, JoeM said:

XI plow lift modification.

1697443167_XiLiftbar1.jpg.be650042a0f267c2828a1c7b093e3070.jpg

Do you get enough lift that way?

Edited by shallowwatersailor

JoeM
2 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Do you get enough lift that way?

Yes, I started out figuring the length of the the pieces on the end of the bar with the plow blocked up in the raised position and the deck lift in the raised position. 

There was a couple things that influenced doing it this way. First this plow was on a 520 and not an exact fit. It was kind of custom. The lift bar needed to be modified to be under the bell crank. Second I was not crazy about pining the existing deck lift bar up in place when using the plow. And the last, I could just about reach down and clip those hangers in place much easier. The bar is removable so I could drive over and slide the bar in from the side. (plus at the time I was inline to get a lumbar back fusion and any time eliminated from getting down on the ground was a bonus.) you know necessity and invention thing.

• Like 3

Pullstart

I’ve been working on adding a loader to this mo-chine.  @bmsgaffer mentioned inspecting the front axle pin. Thanks!  It’s surely worn!

A56B411E-BD08-44F5-A8AE-E2116976EEA1.jpeg

87511FAD-0A50-44B5-A897-CE2E4629CD69.jpeg

EFAF34E5-DD51-48E3-8C65-49AE9C9281E1.jpeg

A7BE575B-BBD3-4DBE-A4D2-CCDD73169319.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Tractorhead

Good to get that tip and you check it, before a Problem is happen.

Thanks to the competent and knowledge in this Forum✌️

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

bmsgaffer

@pullstart I'm glad you got to check that! Especially with a loader going on it!

I think that is a common problem that goes unnoticed most of the time, I am here to sound the alarm! :lol:  Yours broke out very much the same as mine. With your fab skills that should be no problem!

I do think this pin is an item that @wheelhorseman Lowell might have to offer someday with an improved design as it is NLA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
13 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

@pullstart I'm glad you got to check that! Especially with a loader going on it!

I think that is a common problem that goes unnoticed most of the time, I am here to sound the alarm! :lol:  Yours broke out very much the same as mine. With your fab skills that should be no problem!

I do think this pin is an item that @wheelhorseman Lowell might have to offer someday with an improved design as it is NLA.

not quite stock, but I’m making the 7/8” pin go through the front and a 1/2” plate :handgestures-thumbupright:

90D22CE4-975A-4249-918D-EE237CD077E7.jpeg

E3EB14BA-58BD-4F03-B516-2FBF39791EA6.jpeg

• Excellent 4

Pullstart

I like it!

49F256CE-8AD8-4791-893B-A50D7CD07A72.jpeg

34E33DBB-52E2-4804-BBBA-90FCE40987C1.jpeg

• Excellent 4

Tractorhead

Great improvement 👍

Pullstart

The pin is welded to the bracket in the back and it is all painted and back together.  What a HUGE difference!

2A8A7327-16ED-42AD-83FA-B0A8D0C2D3A1.jpeg

E11CF65D-EFC3-461F-A0CC-6FC4C3F033CD.jpeg

• Like 2

Pullstart

Back on the ground safely.  No need to keep holding your breaths!  :ROTF:

CAA8CC08-A87C-42A1-9279-0B99F60E7E05.jpeg

• Haha 3

Pullstart

• Excellent 2

bmsgaffer

Looks great! That should hold up for a good long while!