D_Mac

1969 Simplicity 727 Broadmoor.

D_Mac

Well the Simplicity is finished and I have to say that I am pretty impressed with it. If you read the story earlier you know that I got this for free at a garage sale. Damn near killed me trying to drag it from the garage out to the street and into my truck. Got it to a friends house and found out it wouldnt turn over with the key, but wrapped a rope around it and would fire. Long story short, it had a bad solenoid and a bad neutral safety switch. So by passed the safety switch, new solenoid, new battery, new fuel lines and filter, soldered holes in the gas tank, soaked the carb and new carb kit, new air filter, new spark plug, and fresh oil and lube it runs like a swiss watch. Soon as you turn the key it fires up. It is supposed to have a 7hp Briggs but it is an 8hp. The tires were all flat and the beads broke when I dragged it but all holding air fine now. It is all original paint and just look at those original hub caps and chrome bumper! I havent tried to hook up the snow blower but I am assuming it will work fine as everything is there and it all spins freely. Even has the rear wheel weight. Just wish it had the mowing deck. Going to look for a good replacement seat for it. I have the original but it was in poor shape so I put this old Wheel Horse seat on it. 50 year old tractor looks pretty good and runs even better.

20200804_132357.jpg

20200804_124815.jpg

20200804_124743.jpg

20200804_125007.jpg

20200804_133024.jpg

20200804_133124.jpg

20200804_125022.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

D_Mac

Sorry tried to post a video

Edited by D_Mac

RJ Hamner

Nice find.  Really like the "knobbies"

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Thanks @RJ Hamner I am going to look into replacing the front tires and maybe pick up some chains for the rears if I try to use it in the snow. Not sure what kind of job the snow blower will do. Seems like an awful lot of weight for a 8hp. 

SylvanLakeWH

Great Job!

Looks fantastic!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

Achto
30 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

I am going to look into replacing the front tires

Are those tires in bad shape? They look to be the original tires.

The tractor looks like it turned out very well. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Achto
  • Thanks 1

squonk
44 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Thanks @RJ Hamner I am going to look into replacing the front tires and maybe pick up some chains for the rears if I try to use it in the snow. Not sure what kind of job the snow blower will do. Seems like an awful lot of weight for a 8hp. 

I had the same exact blower mounted on a 210-H It worked fantastic. Here is a pic that the guy who bought it from me put on CL a couple of years ago00W0W_gACDYKJJr1t_600x450.jpg.6acfd78901d48f94e18564d6643f189a.jpg.5ffc0f75ce5d616a872d23205f1084e6.jpg

D_Mac

@squonk What is the horse power of that Horse ? Just seems the 8hp pushing the snow, the weight of the rider, the rear weight, plus the weight of the tractor seems like a lot to me. I never used a snow blower on a tractor before so I am not sure.

@Achto The tires hold air but not much meat in the center. Just figured if it was going to be used in the snow and ice a little tread would come in handy. Here is the weight that attaches on the back. I dont know how much it weighs but it is H E A V Y . Weighs more then the snow blower. Going to put some paint on it. Still have to clean the snow blower. Its pretty dirty been sitting outside long time now. Needs cleaning and lubrication.

20200711_174512.jpg

• Excellent 1

squonk

10 HP VERTICAL Briggs

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Nice Machine.

curious how it will handle the Snow.

If it‘s dry snow, i‘m sure there is no problem, but interesting how it handles wet Snow.

have a lot of Fun with it.

Edited by Tractorhead
I hate autospelling

Achto
2 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

curious how it will handle the Snow.

I have a friend who has a blower on his Simple City Yeoman 7hp. Handles the snow about as good as a 5hp walk behind.

D_Mac

The Yeoman, The Broadmoor, The Landlord, The Wonder Boy... who came up with their names ? 

• Haha 2

Achto

Don't forget The Sovereign. :)

My buddy is into Simplicity's & Allis Chalmers garden tractors. I give him grief about owning his house & still having 4 Landlords.:D

He also called me one day saying that he got a Sovereign for a Cub Cadet. My response was "Well, I guess that's better than only getting a Shilling for a Cub Cadet" :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

D_Mac

@Achto This is my first one. I didnt really care for it at first. In fact when I first saw it at the garage sale and they guy said I could have it for 25 bucks I passed. After getting home and realizing that I must have had a heat stroke to pass on it for 25 bucks I went back to the house. Well guess what... no more garage sale and no one living at house but stuff all over the driveway still. I drove by several times over the next few days. Finally saw a guy painting and asked him to have the owner call me. He did and said I can stop over to get it. Was a nightmare dragging it out of the garage and down the long driveway with all 4 tires flat and falling off the rims. The owner said he had a hernia and didnt lift a finger to help. After he watched me work so hard to get it in my truck he said I could just have it and to keep my 25 bucks. Well now its up and running. I never had a machine that starts like this one. Soon as you turn the key its running. Barely turns over. I tried posting a video, didnt work well I will try it again. I would love to put the original seat on it but its just so bad. @BOB ELLISON gave me an email to a guy maybe I will try to get in contact with him.

• Excellent 1

D_Mac

Well I picked up a new belt for the snow blower. After spending a couple hours rolling around the ground trying to install the belt that I got with the tractor. Turns out that belt was for something else and was a few inches to short. Looked it up and went to Tractor Supply and bought the right size. Only trouble I am having with it is that the auger still spins a little bit when its disengaged. I really like this tractor, runs terrific. Soon as you turn the key its running. Almost like you turn a switch on an electric motor. Instant start. Curious again how it will be in the winter. Debating if I should keep it. If it had a deck I would keep it for sure. I already have a nice walk behind snow blower... 11hp Husqvarna. Check out the rear weights on this thing. It dosnt look like much but that is soild steel. H E A V Y ! 

20200807_162713.jpg

20200807_175237.jpg

20200807_175254.jpg

20200807_162734.jpg

20200807_175246.jpg

• Excellent 2

D_Mac

Just put a new seat on it. This seat has about a dozen hole patterns in the bottom of it. Of course not a single one lined up with the tractor. i had to drill out 4 new holes in the fender pan. Pain in the butt. Not the original but better then what was on there.

20200812_173159.jpg

20200812_173209.jpg

• Like 2

ACman

That’s a very nice tractor @D_Mac . I thought I stole this one at $100 with the engine knocking. This is a first year 1964 Broadmoor all original (except engine) and only use at a cottage since new . I really want to see this thing lay down some stripes . Like you said be nice to find a original seat .

9687BBE1-809D-4C34-AC28-ADA50CB7F970.jpeg.1b407934bff757117e4dc438b0ee25de.jpeg

E92139E3-E62F-42BC-B484-7A18174CFB00.jpeg.b7ad7a7b5188c7cb22a087d14ef26319.jpeg

BB8E050E-5DB9-49D1-9D14-137E73A4D1C1.jpeg.9b5a945fb5b8b5bb134c4c2e7d8df659.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

D_Mac

@ACman Wow yours is in great shape as well. What size engine did you replace it with ? Like I said earlier Mine was supposed to have come with a 7hp... some where down the line it was replaced with an 8 hp. Your seat is different then the one that was on mine. Your seat pan has more a curve to it where mine was straight and angled. Here some photos of the original that was on it when I brought it home. Wish I had the deck instead of the snow blower. I hear they cut grass great. How do you like the pivoting rear end? Got to the love the crazy steering wheel, chrome bumper, and racing stripe !! Mine even has the fake wood trim like an old station wagon. These are nice machines. Built very well. Heavy Duty Lawn Tractor.

20200711_134018.jpg

20200711_174507.jpg

Edited by D_Mac

ACman

Mine should have just a pull start 6hp as there’s no spot for a battery that I can find and it had a 8hp on it when I got . In this ad I don’t see a starter/generator .  I’ve been looking out for a replacement and most likely will be a 8hp.

0FE9C491-5B9C-431D-8B97-DCD0B5CDCE81.jpeg.74633fefaba76792026451e2ad54c123.jpeg

Edited by ACman
  • Heart 1

D_Mac

On mine the battery is between the steering wheel and gas tank. I had to remove it all to get to replace the solenoid. Also the gas tank leaked and needed to be fixed and it needed new battery and battery cables. I also have to remove the hood and grill to get to the spark plug.

20200712_162202.jpg

20200713_163403.jpg

20200713_163422.jpg

Edited by D_Mac