Oldskool

Baird Beaver

Oldskool

I have a chance to get a Baird Beaver. The owner says it's a 1950. Its similar to the one in the pic. It's mostly complete. I believe only missing the belt guard. (Ran when parked 4yrs ago) It also has some sort of factory 2 wheeled cart that goes with it. I have not laid eyes on it yet. Can anybody tell me what to look for? Trouble spots, ID tag location, small parts that maybe impossible to find? I would like to look at it with some knowledge. 

20200706_074726.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Anything lever steer like that I would already be on my way.

Not exactly a common tractor.

@jabelman

• Like 1

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Anything lever steer like that I would already be on my way.

Not exactly a common tractor.

@jabelman

The asking price is $500 or possible trade. Thats the only reason I'm dragging my feet on it. It's not listed at the moment and its between home and work

• Like 2

ebinmaine

As far as monetary value I should think that price would be pretty fair given that much much less rare horses demand higher on the gold plated market.

We really haven't gotten into collecting tractors, just to have a collection, but if I did I would be all over that....

I don't know enough about those as a brand to tell you what parts availability would be. I guess if you had to make or modify stuff to fit that might be part of the adventure. You've shown a -decent skill level for that.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

@bottjernat1... Aren't you a "Beaver" man?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oldskool
39 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

As far as monetary value I should think that price would be pretty fair given that much much less rare horses demand higher on the gold plated market.

We really haven't gotten into collecting tractors, just to have a collection, but if I did I would be all over that....

I don't know enough about those as a brand to tell you what parts availability would be. I guess if you had to make or modify stuff to fit that might be part of the adventure. You've shown a -decent skill level for that.

I was thinking the price was reasonable too.  HAHAHA as far as collecting weeeellll that was by accident. I'm definitely going to go look at it

• Like 2

bottjernat1

Buy it These are rare machines and get anything else for it they may have manuals paperwok any of that stuff 2 I own 3 of them. My late dad had 12 i sold all but 3. i have a 1956,1957,1962 the first 2 are tiller steering the 62 is a fixed tiller with aircraft cable ran down the tube. I have a plow and cultivator and snow blade. They are great machines. Very unique. Idid a post a little bit back with anything and everything you might want to know. I will find the post and tag it for you. 

3beavers.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I would be all over that, especially if it came with the plow. A fine oddball in one's herd. 

@bottjernat1

I think Rob @oldiron613 might be into them too.

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3

Oldskool

Gonna try and look at it tomorrow. There WILL BE PICS 

• Like 3

bottjernat1

Here is the post i did. click on the photo below. I have tons of stuff for these paperwork wise. A guy named allan is still working on a registry for all the beavers that we know of. He gave me the information for mine pretty awesome it will be neat to see it when he is done. Here is the web page for them also.    http://www.beavertractor.com/ 

Edited by bottjernat1
  • Like 1

bottjernat1

Also hapcoparts.com sells hoods and decals just a couple odds and ends. http://hapcoparts.com/beavertractor.aspx  There are also 2 Facebook pages for them I am the assistant manager for 1 of them. But these guys on here are helpfull to. If you have anymore questions ask away. Im on here and on Facebook and YouTube. Just type in my name Nathan Bottjer. Here is my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRboR0C2UE6bqALxax3_h8A/videos

• Excellent 1

bottjernat1

I actually just posted a video of my electric 57 running. The electric start ones are really rare as well. 

• Like 1

Oldskool

@bottjernat1 thanks for the info. That's a nice bunch of tractors you have.  Im sure I will have a few questions because I'm gonna try my hardest to swing a deal with the guy

• Like 1

bottjernat1
1 minute ago, Oldskool said:

@bottjernat1 thanks for the info. That's a nice bunch of tractors you have.  Im sure I will have a few questions because I'm gonna try my hardest to swing a deal with the guy

ask away I will help you the best i can. I have lots of lititure and manuals for these. More then anybody I know. But not many folks own these. My late dad was the only guy within a couple hundered miles of us who owned them. He owned them because he was born out east where they were made and his grandfather owned one when he was a kid. Here is a couple photos of my dad as a kid and a big kid. LOL

FB_IMG_1545610688806.jpg

FB_IMG_1545610691289.jpg

10399577_103129656366533_1413489_n.jpg

• Like 3

oldiron613

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been covered but will add that Baird Beavers are really unique, fun garden tractors! Based on the discription, I think the price is reasonable. I don't have any Beavers currently but have had a few in the past and really like them a lot. 

There were a number of variations to the Beaver models since production began in 1948. They used Wisconsin engines. The 1948 models used the small 4hp AB model and in 1949 they went to a little larger 6hp AKN. By 1961, they were using the BKN. 

With pictures of the actual tractor, I can help determine what it actually is and what parts might be missing or incorrect. 

Good Luck! 

Edited by oldiron613
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Stepney

I have a slight connection to a living member of the operator family after Baird moved up to Maine in their final years, along with a stack of all sorts of company paperwork from patent sheets to adverts. 

Neat machines.. don't see them anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Oldskool

That's pretty cool. I'm getting more anxious  to see what the guy has. To see where and when it was built

• Like 1

Oldskool

@bottjernat1 did Baird make a 2 wheeled cart for their tractors.

Edited by Oldskool
  • Like 1

Oldskool

@oldiron613 @bottjernat1 @ebinmaine 

@Stepney 

Well, here it is. Not what was origanally described to me.  (3rd party) info. Cool none the less. Any input/info would be greatly appreciated. 

Screenshot_20200714-064620_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20200714-064617_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20200714-064627_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20200714-064609_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20200714-064624_Gmail.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

bottjernat1
On 7/6/2020 at 5:16 PM, Stepney said:

I have a slight connection to a living member of the operator family after Baird moved up to Maine in their final years, along with a stack of all sorts of company paperwork from patent sheets to adverts. 

Neat machines.. don't see them anymore. 

That is awesome!!! Are you on facebook the folks on the two beaver pages would also love this information. 

bottjernat1
On 7/7/2020 at 9:26 PM, Oldskool said:

@bottjernat1 did Baird make a 2 wheeled cart for their tractors.

I believe so. I know alot of manufacturers subbed out stuff like that. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
29 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Any input

Looks pretty awesome to me!!

I'm really good at telling people how to spend their own money. If it was me. I'd buy it.

• Like 1

oldiron613

Wow, that looks great!

So what the tractor is, is a 1959 Deluxe model having the optional steering wheel and 3-speed transmission. The steering takes some getting used to as it steers with aircraft cable that runs through the steering tube so it's not real tight steering, but works. This tractor looks relavively correct with exception to the plastic hood that's missing which HAPCO parts now reproduces that you can buy for it. The sulky isn't original but neat none the less. 

Definitly a Beaver worth buying in my opinion. 

Edited by oldiron613
  • Like 2

WHX??

What is that box with the red button underneath the steering wheel for Rob? Looks kinda like it doesn't belong? 

• Like 1