JimmyJam

1974 B-80 Nothing!

JimmyJam

So I loaned out my 1974 B-80 (Princess) mowing tractor last year. I went to pick her up. Won't start. Keep outside all winter under a tarp. Trailered her home. So I first had to check the Interstate battery (2 years old). Went to Interstate for a check. Checked out strong. Next I replaced solenoid, coil, spark plug, condenser, ignition switch. Nothing still nothing! Thoroughly cleaned engine ground block. No inline fuses.No headlights on when key is in on-switch. No broken wires.I bypassed the two safety switches. I am at a loss! 

ebinmaine

Let's back up a little bit and start with the basics.

The issue you're having is quite likely going to be something very simple but maybe not that easy to find.

it's important to remember that these tractors are on a 12-volt DC circuit. You've got to have good ground in every location.

Does it turn over and not start or do you  have no power going anywhere at any point in time no matter where the key is?

Do you have either a test light or better yet a voltmeter or DVOM?

Do you have an ammeter in that tractor and if so have you bypassed it and THEN done your checks?

wallfish

The + power to the switch comes from the solenoid. Is that wire going to the switch connected on the post with the large cable going to the battery ? If it's connected on the other side going to the starter, there's no power to the switch.

Verify power TO the switch

If good, verify power to the solenoid (little post) when the key is turned to start. Is this a single little post solenoid or 2 small posts?

squonk

Ammeter connections like Eric said. Seen it dozens of times. That is if it's still on the tractor.

• Like 3

953 nut
6 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

Next I replaced solenoid, coil, spark plug, condenser, ignition switch. Nothing still nothing!

Prior to spending a bunch of money on parts you may not have needed I wish you had asked here first.

With the battery testing good we can move on to a logical step by step check up. Use a test light or meter and follow the voltage from the battery one component at a time. As you go along it is good to wiggle each wire to determine that the connector is tight and there isn't a broken wire. Also, it was stored outside under a tarp, mice love that setup and have been known to chew on wires. At each test point along the way turn the key to the start position and verify that the voltage remains. If the wire has an internal high resistance fault the voltage could go away under a slight load.

I have attached a color coded diagram that @BOB ELLISON made for us.

You say you already cleaned the grounds and that is a good start. Now clamp one wire of the meter/test light to the battery "-" and place the other probe on to the battery "+" terminal. Presuming the meter/test light shows full voltage move on to the other end of that cable where it connects to the solenoid.Presuming the meter/test light shows full voltage move on to the smaller wire on the same terminal and follow it to the Amp meter, then go to the other terminal on the amp meter and on to the other end of that wire where it is connected to the ignition switch.

If you have power all the way to the ignition switch then turn the ignition switch to the RUN position and see if you have voltage to the "+" side of the ignition coil. Presuming the meter/test light shows full voltage move on to the small terminal on the solenoid where the wire from you ignition switch goes. Turn the key to the "Start" position with the clutch pushed down and there should be voltage there too.

Let us know what you find.

71862773_Bobswiringdiagram.jpg.f99e2d3750bab544012ca4906be549d7.jpgsolenoid.jpg.8c1051bc54352fb62fc283066eb6555a.jpg

Edited by 953 nut
fat finger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JimmyJam

@953 nut Thanks! I will run the tests as you prescribed. I will update you on my progress. BTW: Other than the solenoid and spark plug that I purchased, all the other parts I had on hand in my shop.Well because you just never know when you may need them. LOL!

• Like 1

squonk
38 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

@953 nut Thanks! I will run the tests as you prescribed. I will update you on my progress. BTW: Other than the solenoid and spark plug that I purchased, all the other parts I had on hand in my shop.Well because you just never know when you may need them. LOL!

I eradicated the Ghost of Joseph Lucas from my shop Saturday. Maybe he took up residence in yours! 

• Haha 3

JimmyJam
23 hours ago, squonk said:

I eradicated the Ghost of Joseph Lucas from my shop Saturday. Maybe he took up residence in yours! 

Oh boy! I better get ahold of my Native American chief friend to do some smudging!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

@JimmyJam

Jimmy, no worries one way or the other but I just wanted to throw this out there. I know you've been thinking about coming up to Maine at some point so if you want to drag that B80 in your trailer and stop by my place ... I'll give you a hand with diagnosis.

JimmyJam

@ebinmaine Thanks for offer; however Ellenor’s car can no longer pull the trailer. We are looking for other towing options, like (long shot) purchasing a reasonable priced pickup truck. We could rent a UHaul truck. I am also possibly looking for someone to possibly restore that B-80. Interested or like me too busy to do it???

Edited by JimmyJam
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

Waaaaay to busy...

I've got several irons in the fire already and work has been busy. 

We'll be looking for a truck too, in a couple years.

• Thanks 1

JimmyJam

Yay! Running now!

Thanks Guys for all your troubleshooting advice.

@ebinmaine and @squonk were correct. I bypassed the ammeter and that fixed it!

Again Thanks ALL!!!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

Yay! Running now!

Thanks Guys for all your troubleshooting advice.

@ebinmaine and @squonk were correct. I bypassed the ammeter and that fixed it!

Again Thanks ALL!!!

Another case of why I don't run ammeters in my tractors.

Glad to hear you got that goin. Super cool.

squonk
30 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Another case of why I don't run ammeters in my tractors.

Glad to hear you got that goin. Super cool.

I like my ammeter! :violence-duel::lol: I've seen enough voltmeters lie over the years. I replace ammeter ends when I get a tractor with one. At least it's an easy fix. Joseph Lucas be dammed!! 

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, squonk said:

I've seen enough voltmeters lie over the years

Okay yeah you got me there.

The one that's in the Cinnamon Horse reads okay while it's running but when the tractor is off it only reads about 10.5, 10.8. DVOM shows 12.5 (+/-)