Dan.gerous

Just brought a Plough

Dan.gerous

Just picked up a plough, would have been handy to have had it a few weeks ago - but nice to add to the collection of implements. Needs a bit of a clean up like everything else!

I guess it just hooks onto the towbar, haven't got it home yet as still arranging a courier.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l2600.jpg

s-l3600.jpg

s-l4600.jpg

s-l5600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
23 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Looks like one off a walk behind. Can be adapted with a bit of thought and work. You really need a slot hitch and make a tool bar.  Below are some slot hitches I made. I think I have one left. I'll take a photo of the tool bar tomorrow.

DSCF0212.JPG.c0a984f304ff0e0c0ac2bb5316c6f08a.JPG

Thanks Stormin :-)

The slot hitches look great!

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Good purchase.

The Midwestern plow dogs over here can help you get it set up I'm sure. 

@PeacemakerJack

@Achto

@WHX24

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Cool stuff!  It doesn’t look like there’s much adjustment in the framework though...

• Like 2

Stormin

Photo's as promised, Dan. May give you an idea or two.

The black one I made to take my first plough, that is a modified Auto Culto walk behind plough. The white one is for my Brinly plough. Both fit a slot hitch.

The plate on the white one could do with being a couple of inches wider. Plough could then be set over off centre an inch.

P1030316.JPG.b973d11c1e06247fc84b55894bb809a4.JPG

P1030317.JPG.4d0e0e2b425046f15a9612895024bbd4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dan.gerous
10 hours ago, pullstart said:

Cool stuff!  It doesn’t look like there’s much adjustment in the framework though...

I know absolutley nothing about ploughing or ploughs :-)

Dan.gerous
37 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Photo's as promised, Dan. May give you an idea or two.

The black one I made to take my first plough, that is a modified Auto Culto walk behind plough. The white one is for my Brinly plough. Both fit a slot hitch.

The plate on the white one could do with being a couple of inches wider. Plough could then be set over off centre an inch.

P1030316.JPG.b973d11c1e06247fc84b55894bb809a4.JPG

P1030317.JPG.4d0e0e2b425046f15a9612895024bbd4.JPG

Ah ok, so will need to fabricate something to get it to fit on the tractor and presumably have a degree of adjustment.

WVHillbilly520H

Sorry @Stormin not a slot hitch but a Brinly hitch @Dan.gerous would be a better option as well as more adjustable for lift and depth...pics 2,3,4,5 show a home built unit that I ended up with and 6&7 show the extra holes I drilled in my factory version for more adjustability... Dan as you can see it's not that hard to build one you would just need a few dimensions I can get you later the material and a welder it uses the cable/chain that lifts/lowers the tiller and it mounts the trans case by the pin for the trailer hitch. 

20200525_172547.jpg

20200308_155904.jpg

20200202_084459.jpg

20200202_084450.jpg

20200202_084439.jpg

20200202_084432.jpg

20200123_171021.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

@Stormin will be a great guide for you on your setup because he is so familiar with what is available in the UK and also has a great deal of experience in competitive ploughing.  I will say that once you get a plough properly set up and working like it should, it is one of the most addictive implements that you can use on a GT.:D  You will definitely need an adapter like those pictured above.  The biggest challenge I see with the plow you purchased is no “suck point” adjustment.  However, I’m sure that we can walk you through the process.  Please be sure to look up and read through the plowing thread, it has lots of great information concerning this topic...

• Like 2

Pullstart

I wonder if there has ever been for this purpose, a Brinly hitch mixed with a pulling hitch?  Adjustable height at the tractor would mean a different suck point angle...

8ntruck
38 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I wonder if there has ever been for this purpose, a Brinly hitch mixed with a pulling hitch?  Adjustable height at the tractor would mean a different suck point angle...

Kev - you have the imagination, material, and the tools to come up with something like this.

Can't wait to see It!  :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto
4 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

The biggest challenge I see with the plow you purchased is no “suck point” adjustment.

This was my thought as well. With no provided adjustment on the plow it may be difficult to dial in.

• Sad 1

Pullstart
25 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Kev - you have the imagination, material, and the tools to come up with something like this.

Can't wait to see It!  :D

something like this would likely save many minutes of head scratching and figuring I bet!

being able to bolt on the back half of the hitch would allow nearly infinite adjustability.  Offsetting the holes in the rear piece by 1/2” would allow the piece to be flipped for fine tuning adjustments as well.

F23BAC93-3C9D-4CBD-B21F-457BC7550B53.jpeg

82AC6745-15BA-46D7-854C-7F94BCEB5333.jpeg

• Like 3

Stormin
5 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Sorry @Stormin not a slot hitch but a Brinly hitch.  The white one I made is a copy of Squonks. He sent me the details. 

I like the clevis type in your photo's. Be lucky to find something like that over here, without someone wanting silly money. I may have a crack at making one, on day. I have a drawing and dimensions.

20200123_171021.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

5 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

@Stormin will be a great guide for you on your setup because he is so familiar with what is available in the UK and also has a great deal of experience in competitive ploughing.  

I am? I have?

I have been having a think. Do I need two ploughs?

Below is the modified Auto Culto walk behind plough. That fits the black slot hitch tool bar. This would be the one to go.

P1020552.JPG.30d014c582ebf5586290ffa3a3aa2dae.JPG

P1020553.JPG.61f82e65b5f3193cf11de637a4ddad9e.JPG

The land wheel arrangement could be better I used what I had and didn't want it to be to heavy. Manual lift and age.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

squonk

I wish you guys would call ploughs plows! Every time I see the word plough I think of pancakes and biscuits! :teasing-poke: :bow-blue:

• Haha 7

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

something like this would likely save many minutes of head scratching and figuring I bet!

being able to bolt on the back half of the hitch would allow nearly infinite adjustability.  Offsetting the holes in the rear piece by 1/2” would allow the piece to be flipped for fine tuning adjustments as well.

F23BAC93-3C9D-4CBD-B21F-457BC7550B53.jpeg

82AC6745-15BA-46D7-854C-7F94BCEB5333.jpeg

@pullstart Kevin I love my :wh: but I honestly believe the IHCC version of the Brinly sleeve/clevis hitch is the most adjustable (@PeacemakerJack do you agree?) Here check out these Kevin... No cables no chains all rigid metal linkage. @Achto, Dan the moldboard plow dad used for many decades had no adjustments except for his IHCC hitch and it worked fine... I know I know it needs polished.

Screenshot_2020-05-31-15-47-31.png

Screenshot_2020-05-31-15-47-56.png

Screenshot_2020-05-31-15-48-41.png

20200531_160210.jpg

20200531_160217.jpg

20200531_161923.jpg

• Like 4

Pullstart
3 hours ago, squonk said:

I wish you guys would call ploughs plows! Every time I see the word plough I think of pancakes and biscuits! :teasing-poke: :bow-blue:

hey, at least we can tell the difference between whether they are plowing snow or ploughing field...  :handgestures-thumbupright: maybe us dummies are saying (spelling) it wrong for a change?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@pullstart Kevin I love my :wh: but I honestly believe the IHCC version of the Brinly sleeve/clevis hitch is the most adjustable (@PeacemakerJack do you agree?) Here check out these Kevin... No cables no chains all rigid metal linkage. @Achto, Dan the moldboard plow dad used for many decades had no adjustments except for his IHCC hitch and it worked fine... I know I know it needs polished.

Screenshot_2020-05-31-15-47-31.png

Screenshot_2020-05-31-15-47-56.png

20200531_160210.jpg

20200531_160217.jpg

20200531_161923.jpg

I agree, that’s a nifty left mechanism... but my thoughts are to help change the suck point angle.  Since Dan’s plo(ugh) has no adjustment, hitch height might be the only way to adjust it easily.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

I agree, that’s a nifty left mechanism... but my thoughts are to help change the suck point angle.  Since Dan’s plo(ugh) has no adjustment, hitch height might be the only way to adjust it easily.

If you notice the 2 white steel pieces with all the holes that's exactly how you change it on an IHCC, you'll also notice that 1 pair has slots that's built in "float" pic 3 showing the hitch on the tractor the top link rod it where you set the various heights... But if you look back above (post #9 last pic) on my WH hitch where I drilled the extra holes it basically does the same thing.

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
11 hours ago, pullstart said:

hey, at least we can tell the difference between whether they are plowing snow or ploughing field...  :handgestures-thumbupright: maybe us dummies are saying (spelling) it wrong for a change?

Thats exactly it!

Dan.gerous

Sorry I havent been responding, mind blown already!

Been plowing through the post on ploughing, suck points etc, will get it all in my head eventually.

Thanks for all the awesome responses and suggestions, once I get it home will get it hooked onto the machine somehow then go and destroy a bit of the farm somewhere to see what can be achieved. Have to aquire either the brinly (clevis?) or the slot hitch as I have no actually way of attaching it at at the moment.

Just waiting on the courier to get back to me with delivery dates, couldnt be bothered driving all the way down the country and its actually cheaper using the courier anyway once you factor in fuel, tyre wear, my time etc

Edited by Dan.gerous
  • Like 2

Pullstart
9 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

If you notice the 2 white steel pieces with all the holes that's exactly how you change it on an IHCC, you'll also notice that 1 pair has slots that's built in "float" pic 3 showing the hitch on the tractor the top link rod it where you set the various heights... But if you look back above (post #9 last pic) on my WH hitch where I drilled the extra holes it basically does the same thing.

I can see what you mean Jeff, but I don’t see the adjustment on Dan’s setup... so I was trying to think of a hitch (which he needs) that might overcome the challenge of not having adjustment :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
14 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

...the IHCC version of the Brinly sleeve/clevis hitch is the most adjustable (@PeacemakerJack do you agree?) No cables no chains all rigid metal linkage.

20200531_160210.jpg

...the moldboard plow dad used for many decades had no adjustments except for his IHCC hitch and it worked fine... I know I know it needs polished.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: a couple of quick observations.  When plowing in a basic garden which is small and generally loose soil with one tractor and plow setup, ALMOST anything will work with varying degrees of success.  However, when it comes to turning a large field with multiple tractors and a variety of soil conditions, the more adjustment available—the better.  I agree with you Jeff that the IH Brinly adapter allows for a lot of adjustment. Because all of my plows have a separate suck point adjustment I have not needed to use the three holes on the lower attachment plate to the tractor (I keep mine in the middle) but that would mimic a slight suck point adjustment.  The variety of holes in the lift link basically create a different stop point for a hydraulic lift system.  

Jeff...tell us about that white plate on your dad’s plow.  The way that is slotted, looks to me like that would afford some level of suck point adjustment. :confusion-confused: You definitely need to get that thing in the ground and polished up😉. I love the shape of that sod bottom, reminds me a lot of my dad’s old Bolens plow.

• Like 3