meadowfield

C-121 restoration - proper back from the dead stuff...

meadowfield
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

I just noticed the hang over on the left side of the tank.  Is there no way to get gas from there to the drain spigot?  Is that the built in reserve?  Park it on a hill sideways, run over your neighbor’s toe, hit the ditch?  

ha, I noticed that the other day when putting the tank mount together. When I was thinking why isn't the tank symmetrical...

• Thanks 1

meadowfield

Slow progress... as I keep thinking of cool things to add...

Moist of the wiring loom has been made - theres a few mods to be made to the original.

image.png.6c1c9b7ffabb64d5d0c90d4171010684.png

a few gauges to add

image.thumb.png.1546b01ec9f74365e7821f56900a80b9.png

image.thumb.png.e09abeb1e3da98b6c9bf737224cd7b16.png

need to add an oil temp sender

image.thumb.png.0cbd4357607654c9a4f9780e5713d2c8.png

without draining the fresh oil....

image.thumb.png.2400306f3e4c9fee87b91ad6a41df126.png

then all new crimps and wire

image.png.854c0b87d9604bb8413f8658d72a0043.png

might get to start it again soon!  still waiting for fuel tap from China - as well as fuel tank sender....

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Forgive my memory if you've already answered this...

What's the upper left temp gauge for?

Air or transmission?

meadowfield
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Forgive my memory if you've already answered this...

What's the upper left temp gauge for?

Air or transmission?

ignore that - it was just filling a hole :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

meadowfield

Fuel gauge arrived... so panel now looks like this.

3927546B-8191-4C3D-A0D2-F00258005158.jpeg.7b763598886923d5aa5d0d8641e3db0d.jpeg

• Like 4

meadowfield

Today’s update, wiring loom complete, dash wired.

First start after strip down and rebuild...

here’s a walk round video 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

meadowfield

after a lot of woes - I'll go into later, I think we are all good on the panel. I swapped the oil tempo gauge for a water temp gauge, the oil in the pan and block don't get that hot. Well I haven't managed to get it over 80 deg C - 175 in US money :D 

Cheap chinese Voltage reg runs at just under 14.4V so good enough for me - cheap chinese hour counter appears to not work. Turns out I order a 12VDC one, this one says 110-240VAC, so not going to work. 

Fuel gauge and sender working great, as is the tacho that I had modified 6 years ago and not found a use for...

image.png.606b708f4bcc58c98f7e313aaddc7980.png

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PWL216
      By PWL216
      About a year ago I bought a C-121 auto with the intention of using it as my go-to mower. Shortly thereafter I got a great deal on a low hour 314-8.  It ran perfect and had several attachments - it became my new go-to mower.  So, I decided to repurpose the 121 to be a front end loader. After purchasing the build plans from P.F Engineering (which are excellent), I realized I couldn’t build it for less than $2k in material. I decided to look for a used one and found a Thompson TC10 local to me, mounted on an “end of life” 1077, for $1,000.  The loader swap itself was pretty straight forward. The only modifications needed were drilling a couple of mounting holes in the tractor frame, grinding away a little of the loader top frame so the hood opened/closed and welding in a new hydraulic pump mount. I have a few things to button up still and the bucket itself needs attention but it’s fully functional. I also bought a pair of clamp-on pallet forks.

I also did a “refresh” of the 121. The total project cost is shown below. Roughly $2,300, with just the FEL itself being around $1,300. 

Tractor
      C-121 Auto $500
      Solid engine mounts $50

Front End Loader
      Johnson 10TC $1,000
      Hydraulic fluid $35
      Spare hydraulic hose $40

Ignition
      Battery $35
      Battery cables $20
      Points & Condenser $20

Fuel
      Carb & Gasket $65
      Electric fuel pump $60 (later removed)
      Air filter $10
      Fuel filter $15
      Fuel line $10
      Spark plug $5

Decals and Paint
      Decals $115
      Paint $30

Lights
      Headlight Lens $45
      LED Headlights $25
      Rear lights $25

Misc $200

• Baxtercr
      By Baxtercr
      Great condition C-121 for sale.   if any ones interested lets dm.    I'm based in North Yorkshire near Harrogate

• Christof421
      By Christof421
      Hello, I recently purchased a single stage snowblower attachment for my C-121.  Currently going through my first storm with it.   Made some passes down the driveway and blower was blowing a bit of snow backwards under the tractor.   Snow is very fine and light snow.   Wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has suggestions on remidies.  
    • ohiofarmer
      By ohiofarmer
      I found a standout looking C-121 . i found it on FBmarketplace, but those guys had it blocked for replying to the owner.  Ask price was only 220 and after i took the chance with screwing up my life on the computer, Facebook would not let me talk to the owner because it was too new. what FB wants is for you to hang out for a while and post.  My buddy jay was corrupted by me to get into old Honda motorcycles, so I had him do the contact and used me as an additional phone number.

The owner texted me last night with permission to call him. he got an offer to buy while i was enroute to look, and since i texted him i was on the road, he waited for me. It is a one owner,bought for a project with the second owner deciding that the project might take longer than hoped. it's an eight speed that is putting a fine mist of oil inside the hood, so at least a head gasket or possibly a ring job, but it runs and is all there with a 38"' RD deck in great shape. No piccs yet as we are picking it up later this week. Gave him the money and he gave me a bill of sale. Farmer to farmer is why we came to that agreement

It came up in conversation that we are both farmers, and it does make a difference that we would rather sell to each other than having random ppl from town casing our places for gas tanks to steal from and stuff like that.. Anyway, Jay needs to get away from green/yellow.   
    • WH Believer
      By WH Believer
      I have wanted a good garden tractor for what seems like forever. Having moved into 1.24 acre yard I finally have a decent excuse. I have found a C-121 nearby on CL and they are asking $350. They claim it runs and cuts well while the pics seem to show a machine in decent shape. Having an abundance of zeal but minimum knowledge I come to the pros. I was wondering if a tractor this old was would likely leave me in the lurch but seeing the many machines you post on here still working after 50+ years speaks for itself! What should I look for if i get a chance to check it out? What in your minds would prevent the purchase? Bear in mind that while I would love to do a full restoration I don't have the time or resources for it now. I need to be able to get working with minimal wrench time. Does the support structure exist to find parts if something breaks?
           I have always been drawn to older machines (cars, motorcycles, anything that was built to last) and have fallen in love with the look and legacy of the Wheel Horse. Help me avoid an ignorant purchase that would spoil the fun.  Thanks

Here's the CL link if it helps (don't scoop me now):