Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

ebinmaine
52 minutes ago, jabelman said:

I am on the hunt for either a late 70s z28 or a nice clean mid 80s z28.  Might even trade a tractor collection for the right car

I always thought 1978 was kind of a neat year for the z28s because they didn't have the big fairings on the bottom like the later ones

PeacemakerJack
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

Making a shower... shed water...

A redundant waterproofing is a win in mine and the customer’s mind!

3A1E4EA3-A2DE-4629-AEAA-B2668FA1E91B.jpeg

Couldn’t agree with you more on this application Kevin.  Plumbing leaks are a nightmare especially in the long term.  Get this thing sealed up right👍🏻

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse

Drained my 1257 trans and got free peanut butter! Needless to say shes gonna get broken open. With the help of @ebinmaine! Thanks!

20210107_123910.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine

You probably don't want that stuff on a sandwich

• Haha 2

OldWorkHorse
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You probably don't want that stuff on a sandwich

Ey try anything once haha!

• Haha 1

Mickwhitt

With heavy snow forecast for tomorrow I worked on the plow stabiliser for Fred. 

I decided on using the mule drive attachment point and made up a bar to fit snugly in it.

Then I made a trunnion to weld to the ow frame.

Making both the top and bottom mounting free to pivot means I get smooth operation without any binding.

I used the same chromed rod for the slide bar so it won't rust.

20210107_152356.jpg.265746c20689be434551626a54cf2eaf.jpg

20210107_152628.jpg.08ebfc70a6ab6dd9b4fe6c13bb747944.jpgWorks pretty well and keeps the blade from twisting side to side.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

tom2p
On 1/6/2021 at 8:59 AM, ebinmaine said:

The boy has a good eye Josh.

One of my favorite cars has always been the early '70s gm, f-body with chrome bumpers. Bow tie or poncho either way. I like them for different reasons.

I had approximately a pile of Camaros when I was younger and one 1975 firebird.

I remember finding a build sheet in exactly the same location you did but I can't recall which car.

love-hate relationship with the 70's F bodies 

parents had a nice 72 Firebird 

also had a girl friend with a late 70's/early 80's TA (low hp small block - 145 hp ? - but it was a stick)

loved the driving and handling - but hated the heavy doors and inadequate hinges ... door handles ... 

parents Firebird was a blast to drive - but had issues with the doors / hinges / door handles ... and of course the trunk leaked .. not uncommon for cars of that era unfortunately 

and not the most efficient use of size  ... fairly large car - long overhangs ... limited rear seat space and small trunk 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

As of 2:00 PM, I had gotten up early with the trailer hitched to the Z71 and made my way to @Ed Kennell's Pee Aaa, Mount Pleasant Mills to be exact, (across 4 state lines twice) to wrangle my new snow removal "weapons" and made it all the way back home and unhitched, ready to check the back of my eyelids for cracks ,   right about 500+ miles round trip, Jerry Reid was stuck in my head singing his best known movie song... :auto-layrubber:.

20210108_085449.jpg

20210108_111541_HDR.jpg

20210108_140337_HDR.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
51 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Jerry Reid was stuck in my head singing his best known movie song

Absolutely one of my favorite earworms. 

Glad your trip went well Jeff. 

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

You shouda stopped for lunch Jeff.      Did you take 81 or 83 North ?

D_Mac

Got the new tires I picked up put on my truck. I also got the EVAP code takin care of. It was a bad Evaporative Vent Valve. I love the new tires. They are slightly taller and wider then what I had on it before.

Resized_20201221_171948.jpeg

20210107_174224.jpg

20210107_174210.jpg

20210108_155948.jpg

20210108_160000.jpg

20210108_130521.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

You shouda stopped for lunch Jeff.      Did you take 81 or 83 North ?

81 to Carlisle/Harrisburg then 15/11-104 to HillyRidge Sales.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

Mickwhitt

Had a morning running up all the four strokes to get the oil circulating. Filled the bird feeders up again, the little mites are going through it at some rate.

Last day of covid isolation so I can go out for a walk tomorrow. Stay local and stay away from people is the mantra. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

walk tomorrow

How you feelin'?

Mickwhitt

Not really touched me to be honest. But I didnt go for a test as they advised only to go if I had symptoms. 

They did say there are plenty of cases where one spouse got it and the other didn't. 

Sandra got off pretty lightly but to be fair she is a tough one and very rarely moans about feeling ill.

Just the fact we could not go outdoors was a big deal, really felt locked in. But its for the greater good .

• Like 5

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

could not go outdoors

Aye. 

Trina and I are on our own land so that wouldn't be an issue here. 

Neither of us would be too keen on being in a building for 10 to 14 days...

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
3 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

But its for the greater good .

Thank you

• Like 2

Stormin

Good to hear, Mick. Living of the beaten track like we do, so far only one nearish neighbour had a positive test. He's ok now.

Spoke to a farmer neighbour yesterday, at a distance naturally, and mentioned I'd had to order some firewood. First time for 4yrs. "Needn't have done that", said he. "There's a tree you can take down in a field". Typical! :rolleyes:

Today I gave my chainsaw a check over and ran it briefly. Checked over the Sears/Roper and fuelled it up. Attached the tote box, then loaded that with all I'll need.

Tomorrow it'll be "TIMBER!" :D

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Mickwhitt

Sounds good Norm, nothing like chainsawing to get the old blood pumping.

Did a bit of fabrication work today. I wanted to firm up the weight rack cum towing hitch so I made up a plate and bar so I can bolt the weights on the secure them. We have some light fingered metal thieves around here who would nick them as you drove past.

20210109_165300.jpg.15b8d33acb86b9caf28f9edfbc690e8a.jpgI can put four weights on with the tow ball fitted but if I want all 5 on I drop the tow ball off.  20210109_164022.jpg.d9ab316b2d5899298c76965be6f0e496.jpgI put a large eye nut on the front of the plow bracket so I can tow in reverse if I need to pull anyone out of the verge lol. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

Attended a celebration of life today.  My FIL’s boss, a huge hot rod guy, with 3 young grandchildren and everything going for him, but a short go at lung cancer and it’s all over.  My FIL took his ‘66 454 Chevelle SS for a stroll through the shop on the way out.

RIP John, you were a great person and your legacy will go on forever.

862E8353-F7A4-4CE9-BCC6-B541548DFA31.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Heart 2

Mickwhitt

How sad, cancer is such a brutal disease. Cutting short lives that deserve more. Bless him and keep him.

• Heart 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, pullstart said:

took his ‘66 454 Chevelle SS for a stroll through the shop on the way out

That's proper paying respect. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

Stormin

Things didn't go quite as planned today. First of all I will say I did take my camera this time. Unfortunately I didn't check the battery was fully charged.

Thought the snow, such as it was, had thawed, there was a slight touch of drizzle in the air. Water on frozen ground can be interesting. Didn't set off to the field till after lunch.

Where the bridleway joins the farm track, there is a bit of a drop. Normally not a problem but it had been rutted by a tractor at some time and some lumps off earth left sticking up. Now frozen solid.  Trying to pick the best way down, as the front wheels dropped off the lane, the tote box on the front dug in and came off.

Next the rear axle got high sided on righthand side. Front wheels in the gully, one rear wheel in the air spinning merrily, nothing was going anywhere. Unhitched the trailer and put the tractor in 1st high box. By lifting the tractor rear end and pushing best I could, managed get the tractor on to the farm track. Trailer back on and tote box, chainsaw etc in the trailer proceeded to the field. 

The tree I was going to fell, was at one side of a gateway between two fields. The ground had been nicely paddled by cattle and sheep and now frozen and starting to thaw, made walking rather dodgy. The tree had grow from out the side of the bank. The only way I could get to cut it was off the bank. Also I couldn't get to it to cut a notch out the side I wanted it to fall. Though with it leaning into the field anyway, that was where it was going to drop.

It wasn't the best of jobs, or safest I've done due to the trees position, but by being very careful it dropped right where I expected and wanted.

I was cutting some of the limbs up, trailer length, and loading them and twiggy stuff into the trailer, when Carol arrived and assisted with the loading.

With the tote box etc balanced on top of the load of wood, the slow journey home down the rough track was made. 

Depending on the weather, rain forecast for tomorrow, it could be the end of the week before the jobs finished. If it doesn't kill me first.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine

@Stormin maybe the rain will thaw out the track and flatten it...

Nothing's like a good day of hard work cutting trees.  ....

Stormin
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@Stormin maybe the rain will thaw out the track and flatten it...

Nothing's like a good day of hard work cutting trees.  ....

Just turn to mud, Eric.

I do enjoy the felling and logging. Though it takes it out on me these days. Not as young as I was. :(