WVHillbilly520H

2020 Gardening Bug has bitten.

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

a wheelhorse shed in the middle that can take four machines, and all the attachments

Where will the rest go????

:hide:

• Heart 1

Dan.gerous
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Where will the rest go????

:hide:

I have room for six more with the existing sheds + covered outside parking for a further four. Plan is to build a huge garage at some point so I can always stack them.....

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Andy N.

I just realized that it's been like 3 weeks since I posted a garden update. Where has the time gone?

And finally got a GMG Davy Crocket pellet smoker. We did stuffed green peppers this afternoon for lunch and they were fantastic!

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

• Excellent 8

PeacemakerJack
9 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

... and got this soil chopper Cherokee TC-050 chain drive slip clutch...

20200725_103426.jpg

Well done Jeff!  You will be able to do some serious garden work with that thing. AND...if the local highway crew is short on equipment or manpower, you can offer your services to make roads through the countryside :tools-hammerdrill::auto-layrubber:

Love the progress reports on the garden too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

I’m..... ashamed to even talk about the shape of our garden!  Let’s just say... with all the travel the last three weeks, the weeds are as high as the tomatoes!  We have however been getting a decent bounty out of the jungle of a plot!  We planted way too many zucchini and the cucumbers are a funny breed that grow long but don’t fill out much.  The girls love ‘em, I guess that’s all that matters!  We’ll be having that spaghetti squash for dinner I imagine.

C54D545F-D99B-4F9D-9A87-821D7CA85BBF.jpeg

6A5D9F62-F00A-4763-836D-1A83EC0D09AD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Razorback

Those cucumbers look like our Straight 8's this year.

We are returning home today after having been gone since the 17th..... I have a feeling our garden will be growing a good crop of weeds by now. I am hoping that the okra is producing now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

MIL canned the green beans and did 20 quarts after third and final picking. Cucumbers are still producing so good I'm giving them away to coworkers. Tomatoes and peppers are next to go wild like the cucs another week and the first planting of should be ready next week(end) and the watermelons are coming on good as well. Then in the last pic a lil fella the wife was freaking out over , a tobacco hornworm on a tomato plant. Potato vines are dying off won't be long until I break out the 520 and plow, and plow them out.

20200728_172650.jpg

20200729_162205.jpg

20200729_162246.jpg

20200729_162448.jpg

20200729_190300.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Spent a good chunk of the day weeding our jungle with the girls.  It is not yet pretty, but it’s a whole lot prettier!

B629711A-9B5E-48EB-AD68-1C820EC6B7FA.jpeg

D4718F3A-FF31-4564-8DAC-75027CDC8B35.jpeg

AFF9557E-F8C3-4C25-B44D-E205D2FCF0AC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Greentored

Well fellas, haven't updated on this thread in a few weeks. The brown thumb continues- my garden failed. Yes, failed. All I have left are carrots- they are going good but VERY slow.

Snap peas, red taters were a great crop- especially the peas- couldn't keep up with them and kept producing well into the summer heat.

Green bean crop decent. Yellows planted in the same dang row got about 5 beans and they failed.

Rabbits got the beets, I replanted, they grew to about 4" and failed.

Onions grew very slow, produced a couple quarter sized bulbs, then failed.

Green peppers and cucumbers never showed up to the party. I tried twice, saw a couple cukes poke up, then die 2-3 days later.

Squash grew to about 6" and failed.

Corn shot up like crazy to about 2 feet and for the most part, is failing.

Marigolds randomly planted to keep the rabbits out are doing 'meh'. Who the hell cant grow a marigold? We did this in 2nd grade:lol:

Yes, this was the first year of gardening for me, I prepped and fertilized a 50x50 plot where the previous homeowner had one years ago, consulted the almanac, threw a bunch of stuff in the ground to see what works and what doesn't, so I was not expecting a cover photo on 'better homes and gardens'. I certainly was not expecting this.

1.- NC clay- how the heck do you guys grow ANYTHING in this stuff!!!??? Its like concrete! Or is my upstate NY transplanted butt just spoiled with all the rich soil we had up there?

2.- lot of oaks around- someone mentioned acidic soil? The grass in the area near the garden barely grows.

3.- bought this place in the fall and never got to see how much actual sun would reach this area. Now that its summer and the trees are full, those oaks allow about 4 good hours of sunlight, thats it.

4.- Im only at this place every 4-5 days to take care of the property and water. Had a sprinkler on a timer and it stuck 'on' once, luckily I was there. Never trusted it again. At the same time, its been a somewhat rainy year here. When I was there, the sprinkler was turned on a sunset and wide open for a minimum of one hour.

It almost seems things were doing well in the beginning, then started crapping out as summer approached.

Plans are to get a soil PH test, get a couple truckloads of horse manure from my sisters farm, start over and get a few fall crops in and try again.

Got any insight fellas?

If there's ONE good thing to come of this failure, I now have a spot to do plenty of plow and disc testing with that round fender custom- hope to have the hotrodded K321 done, transplanted and running this weekend!

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

@Greentored, if you haven't already leave all the dead plants where they are and till them under along with the horse manure (nitrogen replenishment) and what I have posted is Virginia red clay and my very first garden on my own (nearly 30 years since at my parents' place) and most is doing well... Beets lettuce cabbage carrots radish all did poorly in my garden but seem to do well in my in-laws established garden.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

@Greentored

What you are doing there is called learning. But it's not about pass or fail. It's about learning what goes good and make adjustments for other things. Sounds like you got a good idea about what's going on already and just need to figure out the element of your environment.

Enjoy what you grew. Make adjustments. Enjoy something else next year....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

Last couple days of our cucumbers...

20200805_182522.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Last couple days of our cucumbers...

20200805_182522.jpg

Got you some canning to do eh?

WVHillbilly520H
46 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Got you some canning to do eh?

Eat and give away... 

• Like 1

Greentored

Ok fellas, operation 'save what's left' has begun. I pulled the stakes and strings, transplanted the marigolds in line with the carrots, weeded them and the few 'kinda living' stalks of corn, mowed the weeds and non surviving plants down, plowed and disc'd it under. 

Next step, soil PH test, and get her ready for some fall planting.

Never give up, right!!??

gara.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
55 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Never give up, right!!?

NOOO

• Like 1

Andy N.

Well that storm was fun. Still on generator power. And going to need a new tent. It's headed your way Northern IN.

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

• Sad 3

WVHillbilly520H

Here it is as of this evening... Cucumbers are still producing like crazy watermelon is coming on nicely tomatoes and corn coming on as well plus I have 2 more rows of "late" corn yet to go and maybe the peppers will ripen before fall 😆

20200810_195705.jpg

20200810_195829.jpg

20200810_195341.jpg

20200810_195321.jpg

20200810_195518.jpg

20200810_195451.jpg

20200810_195603.jpg

20200805_182522.jpg

20200806_201339.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Greentored
9 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

20200806_201339.jpg

"Whatta coincidence! I have a husband Dean Wormer at Faber.  You.....still want to show me your cucumber?":lol:

Kidding aside, man that is one helluva good garden you got going on there!  Keeps the fire under my butt to learn more, fix the issues, and have the same next year!

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

Cucumbers growing up the fence and potatoes are ready to be dug... Tomatoes starting to ripen.

20200811_183936.jpg

20200811_183909.jpg

20200811_183211.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WVHillbilly520H

Those crazy cucumbers, New (Kandy) 🌽 is starting to silk, tomatoes are going wild and the peppers are huge... Mowed off the potato vines (picked up what was pushing through the soil) and weeds to let them dry out after all this crazy rain hopefully will be digging them with the help of my faithful ole 520H.

20200813_153511.jpg

20200813_154810.jpg

20200813_154815.jpg

20200813_172259.jpg

20200813_172315.jpg

20200813_174341.jpg

20200813_174258.jpg

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

@PeacemakerJack @ebinmaine @WHX24 @Greentored @elcamino/wheelhorse @pullstart plowed potatoes in semi dry/wet clay mix this evening had to have the kids "sink" the plow and those OTRs never missed a beat pulling through the soil, potato vines and weeds... Ended up with approximately 6 bushel from 3 rows this evening, gonna York rake it in the morning before the next round of daily rain for a week hope to pull another 1/2 bushel or better up. BTW the wife decided to photograph the first row plowing enjoy. 

20200814_191223.jpg

20200814_191648.jpg

20200814_191652.jpg

20200814_191700.jpg

20200814_191714.jpg

20200814_191716.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

PeacemakerJack

That’s GREAT!!! I love the pics Jeff.  If you get a chance Jeff, do a write up about the experience in the plowing thread.  Please make mention of the OTR’s as well.  Last weekend Jim @WHX24 was using his in really nasty mud conditions and I was definitely impressed with them👍🏻  So cool to see the family involved in the gardening process.  Tell the Mrs. Thanks for the :text-coolphotos:

Nothing tastes quite as good as vegetables that you worked hard to raise in your own plot of earth😋

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
26 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

That’s GREAT!!! I love the pics Jeff.  If you get a chance Jeff, do a write up about the experience in the plowing thread.  Please make mention of the OTR’s as well.  Last weekend Jim @WHX24 was using his in really nasty mud conditions and I was definitely impressed with them👍🏻 . 

Josh, in your go plowing rolling dirt thread? When I get a chance and that my friend was a "wide" shovel potato plow.

20200418_130639.jpg

IMAG3394.jpg

• Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: I knew what it was, but I figure that it is still a plow, a dirt plow, even though not a furrow plow and therefore it would work good in that thread. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1