RJR49

How do I make a K341 quiet

RJR49

My C-160 has an OEM muffler, It's not overly loud but I always wear sound suppressors. Years ago the muffler on my Fathers Fiat 650 died. rather than buy the header muffler one piece replacement I stuck a Thrush glass pack on it. As a 16 YO I was disappointed how quite it was. 54 years later the noise is not as appealing. I'm thinking that I could do something like that now.

Eric  B responded with the following. I'm sure that he is right. I used to have an air cooled dinghy motor that dumped the exhaust into the water. It was indeed loud. It didn't occur to me that it was because it was air cooled. Still, if anyone has tried a glass-pack muffler I would be interested in knowing the result. 

Water cooled engines are much more quiet than air cooled engines because of thickness and construction of the block.

Air cooled blocks transmit heat and sound quite readily to the outside.

Even if you could pipe your air cooled exhaust into a totally silent exhaust the engine as a whole will still be much louder than a liquid cooled one.

image.png.a5ead9abf7395e54b5e91a32b644aae6.png

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I'm gonna follow along to see what others write.

I too like a quiet ride...

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
27 minutes ago, RJR49 said:

My C-160 has an OEM muffler, It's not overly loud but I always wear sound suppressors. Years ago the muffler on my Fathers Fiat 650 died. rather than buy the header muffler one piece replacement I stuck a Thrush glass pack on it. As a 16 YO I was disappointed how quite it was. 54 years later the noise is not as appealing. I'm thinking that I could do something like that now.

Eric  B responded with the following. I'm sure that he is right. I used to have an air cooled dinghy motor that dumped the exhaust into the water. It was indeed loud. It didn't occur to me that it was because it was air cooled. Still, if anyone has tried a glass-pack muffler I would be interested in knowing the result. 

Water cooled engines are much more quiet than air cooled engines because of thickness and construction of the block.

Air cooled blocks transmit heat and sound quite readily to the outside.

Even if you could pipe your air cooled exhaust into a totally silent exhaust the engine as a whole will still be much louder than a liquid cooled one.

image.png.a5ead9abf7395e54b5e91a32b644aae6.png

I worked (for 22 years) at the (only) factory in the USA that makes those Walker Dynomax Thrush glasspack mufflers, technically they are not for quieting/muffling much sound as they are straight through with a perforated or louvered tube that has a fiberglass packing installed between the shell and inner tube to reduce the tone of the noise while I was there they were referred to as "Sports/Performance" you would be better off to contact @jimkemp for one his mufflers or get one of the Cub mufflers that @ebinmaine referred to in the stack thread... https://www.ebay.com/itm/191782081418 ... Just my opinion after working in an exhaust manufacturing facility for 22 years.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

wallfish

They make some stuff for generators. Like the ones used for an RV, maybe look into those. Or double up a couple of mufflers?

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
51 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm gonna follow along to see what others write.

I too like a quiet ride...

:text-yeahthat: 

Would love a quieter ride for plowing snow at night and hauling kids on the train by day...

• Like 1

oliver2-44

I have a stack for my C160 from @jimkemp and I talked to him about a quieter one.  He said he had added muffler packing to several and people were pleased with them.  Unfortunately, I  haven't installed this stack yet, so I can't say how it sounds yet.  However he does a lot of testing before he offers things for sale and everyone seems pleased with his products, so I take him at his word.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA

I tested one of Jim Kemp's 310 to 416 mufflers and posted the results here.Excellent quality and quieter than stock.With that said hearing protection is still a good idea!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

edgro

I had thought about taking 2of the screw on mufflers and welding them together to see if that would reduce the noise level, and/or an elbow to point the exhaust straight out the front

WHX??

I have several of JK's muffs and are very happy with the looks and tones they produce.  I have one on a 10hp and a 7 hp both k series and the loudness is the same but pleasant for me anyway. On the 7hp it replaced a cub muffler which is the quietest of any I have. Like Jeff said a straight thru glass pack is for performance and is not a choice for noise. 

14 hours ago, wallfish said:

They make some stuff for generators. Like the ones used for an RV, maybe look into those.

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

I have several of JK's muffs and are very happy with the looks and tones they produce.  I have one on a 10hp and a 7 hp both k series and the loudness is the same but pleasant for me anyway. On the 7hp it replaced a cub muffler which is the quietest of any I have. Like Jeff said a straight thru glass pack is for performance and is not a choice for noise. 

My Cherry Bomb is quite quiet... I welded a baffle in the end from a 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 :handgestures-thumbupright:

RJR49

I tried the double muffin idea years ago on a C-100. Didn't do a thing.

The only reason the Thrush worked on my Fathers Fiat was that the Thrush was designed for a big American V8. The motor in the Fiat was about the same size as the K341 in my C-160. Unfortunately, it would never fit under the hood.  My fear about using it as a stack is the weight. Apparently, you guys don't share my concern so maybe I'll give it a try.  Eric's comment about the air vs water cooled engine, and my past experience with the dinghy suggest that I'll still need the Mickey Mouse ears.

• Like 1

RJR49
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

My Cherry Bomb is quite quiet... I welded a baffle in the end from a 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 :handgestures-thumbupright:

RS won't let me attach or paste a picture of the Cherry Bomb glass-packs but there are quite a few. https://cherrybomb.com/project/glasspack/  Which one do you have? Also I can't picture the baffle.  If you have a picture of it I would like to see it. 

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, RJR49 said:

RS won't let me attach or paste a picture of the Cherry Bomb glass-packs but there are quite a few. https://cherrybomb.com/project/glasspack/  Which one do you have? Also I can't picture the baffle.  If you have a picture of it I would like to see it. 

Becoming a supporting member will take care of your uploading issue.  Considering how much this forum helps us all save money on our repairs, it’s the least we can do to say thanks!

i will work on getting a good image of the baffle inside the end.  The day I bought my Honda, I hole sawed the baffles out of the stock pipes.  Loud pipes save lives :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

RJR49

Becoming a supporting member will take care of your uploading issue. Considering how much this forum helps us all save money on our repairs, it’s the least we can do to say thanks!

It never occurred to me that the advertisers weren't covering the costs.  Ill do it but RS doesn't make it easy to find out how. I searched for quite a while before i found the right page. A button on the home page would be nice

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
8 minutes ago, RJR49 said:

Becoming a supporting member will take care of your uploading issue. Considering how much this forum helps us all save money on our repairs, it’s the least we can do to say thanks!

It never occurred to me that the advertisers weren't covering the costs.  Ill do it but RS doesn't make it easy to find out how. I searched for quite a while before i found the right page. A button on the home page would be nice

For future reference - "Store (Support RS)" button at the top of the every page - just click on it and it goes right to the options.

I have found the site to be worth it.

I share your interest in a quieter ride so I appreciate this thread!

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

A true "Cherry Bomb" is not made by Walker... https://www.thrushexhaust.com/mufflers/thrush-glasspack-muffler ... VS ... https://cherrybomb.com/project/glasspack/ ... @RJR49 What you may really want for muffling is this ... http://www.jegs.com/i/Jones-Exhaust/523/AR3012S/10002/-1 ... Or ... https://www.gopowersports.com/rlv-4100-1-exhaust-silencer-muffler-with-hd-ss-clamp/ ... Or ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/173959416431 ... Or lastly make your own with the help of these ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/323374246169.

kwalshy

I like the fact this engine is referred to as obnoxiously loud by my obnoxious city slicker neighbor.  The decibels don't bother me with the 3M Radio Hearing Protection headsets.   Heck, I just might remove the stock muffler & go straight pipe! LOL!:grin:

• Haha 2

McGrew

I second (third?) the idea of looking into generator mufflers.  I acquired a Cummins/Onan generator out of an RV some time back, and built a trailer for it so I could use it to power my home during outages,  It is powered by an Onan V-twin,  They don’t advertise horsepower, but it is around 650cc, so I assume it is in the 14-16 HP range.  That generator is amazingly quiet!  I find it funny tractor guys like to hear our engines run, but campers using the same power plant want quiet...  Danny

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, McGrew said:

I second (third?) the idea of looking into generator mufflers.  I acquired a Cummins/Onan generator out of an RV some time back, and built a trailer for it so I could use it to power my home during outages,  It is powered by an Onan V-twin,  They don’t advertise horsepower, but it is around 650cc, so I assume it is in the 14-16 HP range.  That generator is amazingly quiet!  I find it funny tractor guys like to hear our engines run, but campers using the same power plant want quiet...  Danny

Danny do you know if that generator is encased in anything or has vibration dampeners, different block, anything like that?

lynnmor
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Danny do you know if that generator is encased in anything or has vibration dampeners, different block, anything like that?

You are focusing on the right thing.  We all want to alter exhaust systems for more, less or different noise.   Much of the sound from an open air cooled engine comes from the engine block.  Small quiet generators have the engine enclosed and air venting is controlled both in and out.

• Like 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, McGrew said:

I find it funny tractor guys like to hear our engines run, but campers using the same power plant want quiet...

Even a diehard Wheel Horse fan probably wouldn't want to sleep with a running tractor under their bed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Even a diehard Wheel Horse fan probably wouldn't want to sleep with a running tractor under their bed.

Under? No, certainly not.

Beside? Well, that might be negotiated.

:D

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

You are focusing on the right thing.  We all want to alter exhaust systems for more, less or different noise.   Much of the sound from an open air cooled engine comes from the engine block.  Small quiet generators have the engine enclosed and air venting is controlled both in and out.

Wide frame "Quiet Line" Cub Cadets, JD, Xi series ect all have encased engines and are quieter as well as having some sort of isolated engine mounts.

• Like 1

McGrew

Eric,  The generator is isolated from the frame by springs and rubber cushions, all factory.  Plus it is in a fiberglass enclosure that has sound mat inside.  Again, all factory.  It also has a rather large for the engine size, muffler.  When I first fired it up, I could not believe how quiet it was.  Special engine block?  I have no idea...  All I did was to build a cart for it, and add a fuel tank and battery.   Lynnmor hit on something as well.  The air intake and discharge are both on the bottom.  I had to be careful building the cart to not restrict it.  Here is a picture:

IMG_1860.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, McGrew said:

Eric,  The generator is isolated from the frame by springs and rubber cushions, all factory.  Plus it is in a fiberglass enclosure that has sound mat inside.  Again, all factory.  It also has a rather large for the engine size, muffler.  When I first fired it up, I could not believe how quiet it was.  Special engine block?  I have no idea...  All I did was to build a cart for it, and add a fuel tank and battery.   Lynnmor hit on something as well.  The air intake and discharge are both on the bottom.  I had to be careful building the cart to not restrict it.  Here is a picture:

IMG_1860.jpg

So the rubber cushions and the housing would certainly explain the quiet factor there.

Nice job on that little trailer.