Ed Kennell

Tractor for the Birds

D_Mac

Made this bird feeder out of an old tool box, a pipe, some wrenches and some rebar. Rebar was bent bent around to make a circle. Thats the base so you can move it anywhere in the yard and just mow over the top of base. Tray in the tool box lifts out to fill it with seed. Its very popular with the birds around here. Among other creatures.

20170627_184341.jpg

20190927_175725.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 3

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

bird feeder out of an old tool box, a pipe, some wrenches and some rebar

Showed this to Trina and her mom.

We concur that this is neat and nifty.

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Luv that tool box feeder  Mac.

I used Paul's idea and made a meal worm feeder for the bluebirds.

Got the glass and wood cut....just need to put the hole in and screw it together.   Guess I'll use a 1.5" hole.

102_1483.JPG.d70bda82b4fb7fa73ad946871aef5396.JPG102_1484.JPG.5301dfd121fff718c32b2b6bc7969e23.JPG

• Like 5

Cvans

If you want to keep bears away from your feeder get an electric fencer. You can either put a small fence around the feeder or attach a wire to or around the feeder so children can't reach it. Birds can set on the wire and it won't hurt them. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi
2 hours ago, Cvans said:

If you want to keep bears away from your feeder get an electric fencer. You can either put a small fence around the feeder or attach a wire to or around the feeder so children can't reach it. Birds can set on the wire and it won't hurt them. 

Just make sure the wire is far enough away from the feeder that a bird can't reach the feeder from the wire.

• Like 1

formariz
8 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Luv that tool box feeder  Mac.

I used Paul's idea and made a meal worm feeder for the bluebirds.

Got the glass and wood cut....just need to put the hole in and screw it together.   Guess I'll use a 1.5" hole.

102_1483.JPG.d70bda82b4fb7fa73ad946871aef5396.JPG102_1484.JPG.5301dfd121fff718c32b2b6bc7969e23.JPG

Going to do a few also. Some wild grain on those floor boards. What wood species is it?

McGrew

I have built quite a few bird houses over the years, only to watch them deteriorate in a couple years.  Most all the houses I built were for Eastern  Bluebirds.  I had some Trex left over from a research project, and decided to put it to use.  I built three of these using Trex and stainless steel machine screws.  My wife says bluebirds only like natural materials.  I’m not sure how she explains the 3-4 bluebird families we had as guests?  The houses are constantly in use by sparrows, but I guess they need homes too.  

Ed and 953, its a good thing we don’t see  any bears here.  My wife would be trying to pet them...  Danny

B193E730-0FA0-4166-8C27-DA3841C05A41.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, McGrew said:

its a good thing we don’t see  any bears here.  My wife would be trying to pet them

Me and Trina too.......

We've tried to find one that was in the yard.

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, McGrew said:

I had some Trex left over from a research project

Do tell?

Darb1964

That tool box feeder is art, my wife and I stoped feeding the bears / birds few years ago. The  bears destroyed all the feeders and it attracted the mice big time. My house was  built in 1830 and has a stone foundation , to many mice, chip monk's,and red squirrels, damage doers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Darb1964 said:

to many mice, chip monk's,and red squirrels, damage doers

We uhhh.... Help them leave....

• Haha 1

formariz
1 hour ago, McGrew said:

I have built quite a few bird houses over the years, only to watch them deteriorate in a couple years.

I totally agree with that. Been experimenting over the years with different designs so as to avoid them falling apart. Learned that the biggest factor is the roof. I know build them with large overhangs so water does not go into sides or floor. I also now dress up roofs with copper flashing so they are totally impervious to water. I usually build them out of scraps preferably cedar when I have it. This is the design I most have had success with. Not the correct type for some birds but I am now experimenting with a different design for bluebirds.

IMG_3727.JPG.9ffd3e33e01b002e3407288d338efa27.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Darb1964

I send them to greener pastures also Eric, one year we had four or five bird nest all around our place. The red squirrels eat every fledgling, all that was left was beaks and legs. I didn't know that red squirrels did that, my wife looked up what would do that. Red squirrels biggest offender. 1200 feet per second bb gun with scope, seems like one down three more showed up. Stopped feeding the birds very few squirrels and still have birds nesting. The neighbors still do and they have the squirrels. Fine with them fine with me.

• Like 1

McGrew

I had some Trex left over from a research project

Do tell?

I was involved in a wildfire project where we were trying to determine the best way to protect homes from wildfire.  We built full scale houses, put them in a wind tunnel and exposed them to wind and flaming embers to test their resistance to burn.  In order to do the testing correctly, we have to have all the things you find around normal homes.  The houses had decks made of various materials, bushes, trees, and even mulch.

It was an interesting project to say the least!  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

McGrew

Formariz, Your bird house is a work of art!  Really gorgeous!  Mine looks like an outhouse next to yours!  Danny

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
14 minutes ago, McGrew said:

Formariz, Your bird house is a work of art!  Really gorgeous!  Mine looks like an outhouse next to yours!  Danny

I'm sure the Bluebirds feel your  Trex house is  a castle  Danny.

My friend Cas's  @formariz  work is on a completely different level than the rest of us wood butchers.   He is the Master Craftsman, artist,  and one of the good guys.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

D_Mac

Yeah since I put that feeder in the back yard it has attracted more then just birds as you can see from the photo. There is also a rabbit that comes around as well. Hard to believe since I live right in the city. One of the visitors is tunneling under my shed. Not sure who it is. The holes look to small for that groundhog but to big for any chipmonk. Any advice on getting rid of them besides killing them or taking away the bird feeder? I like watching the birds but rather not have anything living under or in the shed.

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Yeah since I put that feeder in the back yard it has attracted more then just birds as you can see from the photo. There is also a rabbit that comes around as well. Hard to believe since I live right in the city. One of the visitors is tunneling under my shed. Not sure who it is. The holes look to small for that groundhog but to big for any chipmonk. Any advice on getting rid of them besides killing them or taking away the bird feeder? I like watching the birds but rather not have anything living under or in the shed.

The correct legal answer is to call your local animal control office.

If they don't answer fully... Call your game warden.

Point being... In suburbia here in Maine it isn't legal to kill certain things but it also isn't legal to move a live animal in many places.

Put it on the shoulders of the authorities and let them be accountable.

• Like 1

formariz
11 hours ago, McGrew said:

Thank you, but don't short change yours. It definitely is well constructed and durable. Its also the right color. I like also the fact that you recycled what you had. Although I enjoy making different versions of them, the fact is that they have to be effective for they intended purpose. Yours is definitely that and more.

11 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm sure the Bluebirds feel your  Trex house is  a castle  Danny.

My friend Cas's  @formariz  work is on a completely different level than the rest of us wood butchers.   He is the Master Craftsman, artist,  and one of the good guys.

Kind words Ed. I appreciate it but I am just the product of years of teachings by others who were kind enough to share what they knew with me. People around here also think that I am a great tractor and engine repairman, but little do they know that there are many people behind that from this forum who share their knowledge and ideas with me teaching me all I know about it. Humility is a great quality, and if I see that I am loosing it a bit I have here a little wooden RJ next to a photo of a very rough pair of hands that reminds me of it and puts me back in my place.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, formariz said:

Humility is a great quality, and if I see that I am loosing it a bit I have here a little wooden RJ next to a photo of a very rough pair of hands that reminds me of it and puts me back in my place.

Good point Cas.    I know I am in awe of what those hands have made.

102_0047.JPG.5a9ad76b3c3c9850085608053fc3f6f1.JPG414924873_IMG_0040(1).JPG.38a789e9ee30172e236e5da14f277dc4.JPG

Thanks for the ride  John.    @wallfish

• Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

wallfish
10 hours ago, formariz said:

I have here a little wooden RJ next to a photo of a very rough pair of hands that reminds me of it and puts me back in my place.

7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I know I am in awe of what those hands have made.

Thank you both but you guys are too much.

• Like 1

Pullstart

@Ed Kennell @formariz @The Tool Crib @PeacemakerJack We might have ourselves a wood worker!  I’ve done all the saw work under “my boss’ supervision”. :handgestures-thumbupright:

4E3E3FE6-3EAD-4D15-8554-5F7521E07264.jpeg

39BCC54F-0EF8-48C8-92E3-73200676D37E.jpeg

4B38CB54-9FE8-4CFA-8975-B3EC85CFAB7D.jpeg

2953CB9B-2A60-45A5-AEBF-126968200DE9.jpeg

BDB01F7D-CE38-487E-9413-05D264017884.jpeg

76D720CA-A0E2-4CC9-9A6C-287F1205C39B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

Digger 66
On 3/20/2020 at 6:04 PM, ebinmaine said:

Thanks for helping the birdies.

X-2 ^^^

• Like 1

formariz

There you go. She will like it I am sure. It’s about time someone brings some wood into that shop.:D

The Tuul Crib
17 minutes ago, pullstart said:

@Ed Kennell @formariz @The Tool Crib @PeacemakerJack We might have ourselves a wood worker!  I’ve done all the saw work under “my boss’ supervision”. :handgestures-thumbupright:

4E3E3FE6-3EAD-4D15-8554-5F7521E07264.jpeg

39BCC54F-0EF8-48C8-92E3-73200676D37E.jpeg

4B38CB54-9FE8-4CFA-8975-B3EC85CFAB7D.jpeg

2953CB9B-2A60-45A5-AEBF-126968200DE9.jpeg

BDB01F7D-CE38-487E-9413-05D264017884.jpeg

76D720CA-A0E2-4CC9-9A6C-287F1205C39B.jpeg

Man that is great ! one word you might tell her is be careful and watch them fingers god only gives us 10!! I want to see some projects!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1