hotajax

After Market Carb for WH 314-8 Circa 1985

hotajax

Morning -  Looking for a carb.  There are plenty of carbs on the 'net, but 99% do not fit because of the choke configuration.

Background info:  Engine - K321S, 14 Horse Kohler.

Choke control cable is routed to come from BELOW the carb.  To close the choke, pull on the choke knob, the choke shaft rotates counter clockwise, and the finger tab sits at the 10 o'clock position.

To open the choke, push on the choke knob, the choke shaft rotates clockwise, and the tab sits at the 1 o'clock position.

Where can I get his carb?  Thanks in advance. 

ebinmaine

Curious to know what exactly is wrong with the carburetor that you have?

I've never done any on the Magnum engines but...

. Well I haven't had very good luck with the aftermarket carburetors at all.

Is there no way to rebuild your own?

hotajax

Nothing is wrong with the carb I have.  I want a carb in reserve that I can just drop in if I need it.  That's it, nothing fancy.  Some of these overseas carbs are pretty inexpensive.  BTW, I put one in an Echo chainsaw last fall and it screams like a crazed woman. Think I paid 13 bucks for it.  Where can you have that much fun for 13 bucks other than buying 2 six packs of beer?  Thanks for answering up.

Edited by hotajax
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

pfrederi

I do not like to make work for myself.  Make a label for the instrument panel up will be run down will be choke....or do not label it it will be an antitheft device.:P

• Haha 1

ebinmaine

On these engines I think you'd probably just be better off to try to keep sticking to NON-ETHANOL fuel and making sure that it's as clean as possible as often as possible.

Several of us have used those offshore carburetors and had fine luck with them. I've just not had that same experience so I won't go back to one.. i don't know where you can get one with the correct choke linkage for anything to do with $20. i save tractors may have one but his are more like $60 to $90

hotajax
Just now, ebinmaine said:

On these engines I think you'd probably just be better off to try to keep sticking to NON-ETHANOL fuel and making sure that it's as clean as possible as often as possible.

Several of us have used those offshore carburetors and had fine luck with them. I've just not had that same experience so I won't go back to one.. i don't know where you can get one with the correct choke linkage for anything to do with $20. i save tractors may have one but his are more like $60 to $90

1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Thank you.  JF

Nothing is wrong with the carb I have.  I want a carb in reserve that I can just drop in if I need it.  That's it, nothing fancy.  Some of these overseas carbs are pretty inexpensive.  BTW, I put one in an Echo chainsaw last fall and it screams like a crazed woman. Think I paid 13 bucks for it.  Where can you have that much fun for 13 bucks other than buying 2 six packs of beer?

hotajax

Question:  I have an airport nearby that sells 100 Octane Ethanol-FREE gas.  Is this OK on one of those older engines?

Who sells carb rebuild kits for these old carbs?  Thanks.

hotajax
11 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I do not like to make work for myself.  Make a label for the instrument panel up will be run down will be choke....or do not label it it will be an antitheft device.:P

To pfrederi:  I think you answered to the wrong poster?

pfrederi
21 minutes ago, hotajax said:

To pfrederi:  I think you answered to the wrong poster?

No i ran into the same problem a couple times on different tractors... just hooked it up..  When you raise the choke lever it would open the choke lower it closed the choke.  just the opposite of the original carb.    I didn't even label it on one tractor  on others I made a stick on label.  If you r tractor has a pull knob for choke same thing .  Pulled out will be run pushed in choke...

IMG_0026.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, hotajax said:

Question:  I have an airport nearby that sells 100 Octane Ethanol-FREE gas.  Is this OK on one of those older engines?

Who sells carb rebuild kits for these old carbs?  Thanks.

Yes sir. That's perfectly fine to run in that engine. To be honest you can pretty much run any octane you want in these older small engines.

On the K engine carburetors I use a regular Kohler rebuild kit. I don't know which one you have.

hotajax

FWIW, I found one.  There's this outfit in Maine called "I Fix Tractors"    www.ifixtractors.com   They have a lot of cool old parts to keep your horse on the road.  Great customer service desk, too.  

ebinmaine

Isavetractors.

That's the one I mentioned in a previous post but I forgot to close the words together.

Guy named Norman. Excellent !! Guy to talk to.

I've not bought anything from them yet because Trina and I are too "frugal" :lol: ... and I try to stick to OEM parts. Except maintenance like oil and plugs etc.

Get to lookin around on his YouTube and you could spend hours.

• Like 1