JCM

Muscle Cars & Hot rods

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

not a pile of road signs holding it together.  No offense @SylvanLakeWH :lol:

:eusa-think:

Are you insinuating that road sign poles may or may not have been harmed in the creation of the WHrat WHrecker??? :angry-tappingfoot:

Er... uhm... well... :hide:

• Haha 2

8ntruck
On 12/27/2023 at 8:09 PM, 953 nut said:

Presuming this build will be High Wide and Handsome so the tire won't be up inside the wheel well I would suggest a cut and paste job.  Cut the body at the rear door opening and under the chrome strip, slide it back where it needs to go be, spot weld it in place and make a patch to cover the opening. It was easy to do on the computer, shouldn't take you very long once you finish up your other projectsd.

1436325411_19567Pontiac.jpg.78da1c091ed2bdf0dc2e85439172605a.jpg

@Pullstart potential project really intrigues me, so I have done some digging and thinking as to how I might construct the beast. 

The 4 door wheelbase is 122 inches.  The 2001 2500HD wheelbase ranges from 133 inches to 166 inches.  Kevin wants to put the axle on the centerline of the trunk for 5th wheel towing.  I will assume that the donor chassis is 133".

@953 nut how far did you move the rear axle when you doctored the pictures?  If it was 10 inches, it looks like the hitch is going to be really close to the edge of the back window.

Since the station wagon rear window is closer to vertical, a set of station wagon rear doors, bits of station wagon roof, rear window, and tailgate would make more room for the hitch. 

Another idle thought - would Chevy 4 door wagon roof and doors graft directly onto the Pontiac.  They would bprobably be easier to source than Pontiac parts.

This would make a great discussion and possible build thread of its own, rather than cluttering up this thread.

• Like 2

953 nut
23 hours ago, Pullstart said:

If it wasn’t mentioned, I really think having the axle in the centerline of the trunk will allow for a 5th wheel hitch.

:text-yeahthat:               That wasn't mentioned but I was thinking it might happen.                       :woohoo:

• Excellent 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

@953 nut how far did you move the rear axle when you doctored the pictures?  If it was 10 inches, it looks like the hitch is going to be really close to the edge of the back window.

No measurements were used, I just slid the wheel well opening back as far as I could without interfering with the bumper. With the larger tires not going up into the wheel well too far the centerline of the rear axle could go back a bit further without looking freakish, not that this won't look a bit abnormal anyway.    

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
On 12/28/2023 at 2:11 AM, '67Craftsman's said:

Thats a BEAUTIFUL color, I wish more cars came in it!! Do we know what its called? It remind me of Chrysler's FK5 deep burnt orange. (Not my car.21844420_70chargers3.jpg.7cc583789bebcfe4b122749b252c9077.jpg)

I wish I had had the opportunity to speak with the owner of that ‘66 GTO and get the information about the color—including the name.  I would guess that it was something from the vast GM color palette 🤔

8ntruck
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

No measurements were used, I just slid the wheel well opening back as far as I could without interfering with the bumper. With the larger tires not going up into the wheel well too far the centerline of the rear axle could go back a bit further without looking freakish, not that this won't look a bit abnormal anyway.    

Ah.  You used the TLABR method - just like @Pullstart would do during a build.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pullstart
5 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Ah.  You used the TLABR method - just like @Pullstart would do during a build.....

Huh?  :lol:

8ntruck
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

Huh?  :lol:

TLABR - That Looks ABout Right 

:D

• Excellent 4
  • Haha 2