wheelwhores

Plowing weight. Is that legit?

c-series don

Nothing wrong with that at all! 

Pullstart

The more weight you can stack all over that machine, the better!  Great start!

• Like 1

Andy N.

What are the rear tires that you're running on that?

• Like 1

8ntruck

That tread pattern looks like it might be happier if you switch the rear tires side to side.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

ZXT

Looks good to me! If the hitch can handle 100 pounds of tongue weight, it can handle 100 lbs of weights. Probably can handle more! I like your engineuity!

Do you plow only in reverse? If you don't, there's why you have issues with slipping! 

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

Great start

4 hours ago, ZXT said:

Looks good to me! If the hitch can handle 100 pounds of tongue weight, it can handle 100 lbs of weights. Probably can handle more! I like your engineuity!

Do you plow only in reverse? If you don't, there's why you have issues with slipping! 

Agreed.

The more weight the better.

Those appear to be directional tread.

Flip em and retry...

• Like 2

953 nut

Liquid filled tires will add a lot of weight where it is needed at a very reasonable cost.

SIZE                 GALLONS Per Tire                WEIGHT in POUNDS

• 16x6.50-8               2.0                            21.4
  • 18x7.00-8               3.0                            32.1 
  • 18x8.50-8               3.4                            36.4 
  • 18x9.50-8               4.0                            42.8
  • 23x8.50-12             5.5                            58.9
  • 23x10.50-12           6.8                            72.8
  • 6-12                        3.6                            38.5
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

mmmmmdonuts

Chains are your friend for traction. They make a night and day difference even when you have an aggressive tread. Rubber or better yet metal chains. 

https://www.tirechain.com/Tractor-Tire-Chains.htm 

But yes I agree, liquid ballast is easy and cheap to do along with wheel weights. 

• Like 1

857 horse

the ultimate,,,,to date,,      is ""THE ED KENNELL STACK,""   OVER THE TOP....NO SNOW TO DEEP  :text-bump:,,,,

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell

I agree, swap the tires to maximize the cleaning action of the VEE tread.

Fill the tires and add wheel weights.

Past bearing studies have indicated adding load to the axle bearings at the slow rotational RPM does not significantly affect the bearing life.

The bearings normally have 4-500 lbs of radial load, so increasing that by 200 lbs is not a problem.

IMG_6697.JPG.30ad501c0a0f488066ce15f269ac8ba6.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

wheelwhores
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Agreed.

The more weight the better.

Those appear to be directional tread.

Flip em and retry...

Lol.  Yup.  Just bought it a month ago and they were on that way.  Been too cold here on weekends to get out and flip em round....but it's on my to-do list

wheelwhores
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Past bearing studies have indicated adding load to the axle bearings at the slow rotational RPM does not significantly affect the bearing life.

The bearings normally have 4-500 lbs of radial load, so increasing that by 200 lbs is not a problem.

That is funny because I've actually been looking for a free weight machine on clist to do this exact thing with!   Lots to do this spring!

• Thanks 1

wheelwhores

Here is the rear

3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Liquid filled tires will add a lot of weight where it is needed at a very reasonable cost.

SIZE                 GALLONS Per Tire                WEIGHT in POUNDS

• 16x6.50-8               2.0                            21.4
  • 18x7.00-8               3.0                            32.1 
  • 18x8.50-8               3.4                            36.4 
  • 18x9.50-8               4.0                            42.8
  • 23x8.50-12             5.5                            58.9
  • 23x10.50-12           6.8                            72.8
  • 6-12                        3.6                            38.5

tire size....they are huge.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200117144317079_COVER.jpg

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, wheelwhores said:

Lol.  Yup.  Just bought it a month ago and they were on that way.  Been too cold here on weekends to get out and flip em round....but it's on my to-do list

When you do that, install a stud kit.

Makes future swaps even easier.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

My guess is that the lack of oil in a case is more detrimental to some bearings than the weight and speed we run.... eh?

857 horse
10 hours ago, Sparky said:

I agree with with the others to flip those rear tires.

I do not completely agree with adding weight to our tractors using the draw-bar. My reason is that any weight added to the rims only (wheel weights) puts all the weight on the rubber tires and none on the rear axle bearings . Weight added to the draw-bar puts that additional weight on the rear axle bearings. Just seems like it could possibly promote premature wear or failure of those bearings. 

So I run a 50# cast iron wheel weight on the outside of the rim and a 25# weight on the inside of the rim.  
3D0E9F73-166D-46FF-9F76-6F74F1C0D8FE.jpeg

766D2466-67B4-4668-AE7B-73CDCDB6E8DF.jpeg

93C69908-480D-49E2-A5AB-140256C336C3.jpeg

THIS MACHINE MUST BE A MONSTER IN THE SNOW,,,,,,THIS IS THE SET UP I USE,,,,BUT 8 H.P......AND IT NEVER STOPS....      EVER....

GOOD JOB MIKE. !!!!

• Thanks 1

wheelwhores
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Stud kit?  Also what is the difference between inner and outte wheel weights?  I'd love to buy inners for the back and both inner and outer for the fronts...didn't even know there were wheel weights for the front.  Are these after market or WH originals?

wheelwhores

the wheel weights that are on the front now seem kind of junkie, like cheap plastic even though they have the WH emblem on them.

4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Stud kit?  Also what is the difference between inner and outte wheel weights?  I'd love to buy inners for the back and both inner and outer for the fronts...didn't even know there were wheel weights for the front.  Are these after market or WH originals?

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

Stud kit?

On my Cinnamon Horse I swap the wheels twice a year.

Makes it so you don't have to use the regular Wheelhorse bolts which can be tough to line up when installing the wheels.

They are 7/16 fine thread bolts around 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 inches long.

Lug nuts you can get from the parts store but I order them online. Mid sixties Chevy.

We put them on all of our horses.

Screenshot_20200122-162926.png

• Like 2

wheelwhores

this will probably make more sense after i get the wheels off and see how everything works, i just assumed the hub would be similar to a car, but what i am understanding is that is not the case?

wheelwhores

also, ive seen two methods of fluid filling tires, one uses a pump like a hudson sprayer with an air compresser putting pressure on the tank, or another guy just did it with gravity but dropping the tire down several times using the wieght of the tractor to push air out of the tire creating a vacuum...does anyone have a method they prefer?

ebinmaine
Just now, wheelwhores said:

also, ive seen two methods of fluid filling tires, one uses a pump like a hudson sprayer with an air compresser putting pressure on the tank, or another guy just did it with gravity but dropping the tire down several times using the wieght of the tractor to push air out of the tire creating a vacuum...does anyone have a method they prefer?

@953 nut

@pfrederi

@pullstart

Maybe these guys could help with the tire filling question.

I had mine done by a shop.

3 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

this will probably make more sense after i get the wheels off and see how everything works, i just assumed the hub would be similar to a car, but what i am understanding is that is not the case?

Correct. The bolts on these tractors just come out like a regular bolt sort of like you would see on an old Volkswagen or other foreign car.

Installing studs, bolts, right through the back of the hub flange makes it so they can be treated like a regular car wheel. That is exponentially easier to handle when you have a fluid-filled tire or one with a weight that is already bolted to the back of the rim.

You can just use a floor jack to raise and lower the tractor to the correct height and slide the tire on instead of having to lift it.

Sparky
50 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:Also what is the difference between inner and outte wheel weights?  I'd love to buy inners for the back and both inner and outer for the fronts...didn't even know there were wheel weights for the front.  Are these after market or WH originals?

My outer rear weights are cast iron WH weights. The inners are International Cub weights. They are a perfect fit.