ebinmaine

Tiny home / shed / camper. Anyone live in one of these?

ebinmaine

Just wondering if anybody in our diverse group of people has any experience living in a small space.

Ups and downs. Positives and negatives. General comments.

Or if you know anybody that does... Or have researched it but not made the move yet...

rmaynard

So are you being kicked out of the big house and into the dog house? :scratchead:

• Haha 9

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

So are you being kicked out of the big house and into the dog house? :scratchead:

No no no.

All is well.

We are hoping to make a move to a less populated area sometime in the next 3 to 5 years.

Sooner would be better but that's what makes the most financial sense at this point.

Our current living space is 24 x 40.

We could easily and happily live in a space half that size by changing our living layout a little.

Combine kitchen and dining area.

Shrink and rearrange bedroom a little.

This might sound a bit odd to most of you but we don't even use our living room at all except on the rare occasion of watching a DVD movie or sitting to read.

My recliner is in that room but just as easily could be somewhere else like a slightly larger kitchen, dining room, off to the side.

Our "leisure time"  is basically spent in the shop or outdoors.

So for efficiency of use of space and also for heating and cooling we are thinking of going to a small living space and a very large shop space or multiple small shop spaces.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

Small house...BIG shop / garage...

I like...

Google "Tiny houses" and a million floor plans and sites will pop up explaining all there is to know about the options, lifestyle... Do check your codes though. A lot of communities have building code square foot limitations etc...

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

check your codes

Yes. Quite true. Many communities in Maine say you have to have a minimum 500 square feet.

Luckily, there are a lot of progressive people in this state and many many groups and towns are pushing to eliminate that asinine qualification.

• Like 2

wallfish

Turn your current living room into a shop! Wa La, less living space and more shop room!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Turn your current living room into a shop! Wa La, less living space and more shop room!

Great idea but we'd still have too many neighbors....

:)

• Like 1

JCM

Remember this is Maine. All 3 of us are very familiar with Mass, couldn't get away with that there, probably a law against it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, JCM said:

Remember this is Maine. All 3 of us are very familiar with Mass, couldn't get away with that there, probably a law against it.

There is in some towns. Even here.

ZXT

Move outside of the city limits where there's no code and you can pretty much do whatever you want. At least around here!

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Living where you do Eric l would 

probably spend more time outside and

less indoors. Small houses is the big craze right now only because they can be moved wherever you want them to go. I'm not sure how they can enforce codes with these because codes can vary between city to city or state to state.

• Like 1

Herder
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Image result for FLAME Throwers

Here's the solution, Just saying. ;)

• Haha 5

JoeM

I envy you for that thinking EB! I have been trying to pass that along to my wife for a couple years now. I really want to rid myself of this conglomeration....and neighbors. Neighbors are not real close but just don't want any. 

I am tired (not interested) of the work being retired now. Used to at one time enjoy the work but that filling is gone.

I am interested in those small homes build on trailers. Probably have to have one for her and one for me! :eusa-think: We are past 40 years now.....honeymoon is over! 

Sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

Our camper is probably too big to be considered a tiny home, being 37’ long... but when we’re in there, it seems very easy to make it a living space for good.  More rooms = more junk.   If I were to build a tiny home... whether on a trailer or a foundation, I’d make it as easy to heat as possible.  I’m sure an enclosed porch would help with heat loss and give a perfect space to dress and undress for the weather.  

• Like 2

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, Herder said:

Image result for FLAME Throwers

Here's the solution, Just saying. ;)

The guy at the fire department didn't recommend that idea

MikMacMike
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Hahjahahah your like me Eric.......I wanna wake up in the morn with my coffee n cig and be able to sit in the back yard with my gaunchies on enjoying the morning sun. I think Id get arrested if I did that here hehehehe and I wouldnt blame them either, an old fart in his gaunchies would curdle anyones brain hahahahah!

• Haha 3

rdeanrj58

My suggestion would be to build a large pole barn and make a small living quarters in one end of it. That way you wouldn't even have to go outside to go to the shop.    We've built some really nice living quarters in pole barns.  There are some extra steps and little tricks to make it right but it's worth the effort 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ZXT
18 minutes ago, rdeanrj58 said:

My suggestion would be to build a large pole barn and make a small living quarters in one end of it. That way you wouldn't even have to go outside to go to the shop.    We've built some really nice living quarters in pole barns.  There are some extra steps and little tricks to make it right but it's worth the effort 

:text-yeahthat:Though everyone likes different, I've never seen the point of a "tiny home" that is on wheels. They're cumbersome and expensive to build. They're basically a glorified RV that is less suited for going down the road. Plus, there isn't any more room inside of them than an RV.

A living quarters inside of a barn, or a "barndomenium" is an excellent idea. I have family members who do or have lived in a Barndo, and they loved it. I've also wired more than a few at work. When I find myself some land, this is likely what I will wind up building.

My uncle has one that he built roughly 25 years ago. 2 bedroom, 1 bath, a good sized living room and nice kitchen. It is insulated well so it is easy to heat and cool. When he bought the land he was single, and when he got married to my aunt they lived in it while they built their new house on the same piece of land. After the new house was built, it served as a mother-in-law quarters until she passed away. Now it serves as a guest house. I certainly wouldn't mind living in it. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, rdeanrj58 said:

I like that pole barn idea and in fact that's one of the options we are looking at.

It would be super handy not to have to leave the building to go from living to shop area.

@ZXT I'm with you on that tiny home on wheels stuff.

The most likely consideration that we are having right now would actually be to buy a prefab shed and turn that into a living space.

Done carefully and DIY, in this area you can have a 14 x 40 setup and livable for less than $25,000, not including septic system or water well.

We are both frugal people. Trina even more so than me.

There certainly would not be any glorified RV stuff going on in her life....  :lol:

• Like 3

ebinmaine

@MikMacMike

The further out the better my friend. Would like to have a minimum of 25 or 30 acres and be able to see zero neighbors in any direction for any reason in any season

• Excellent 1

Cvans
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

This might sound a bit odd to most of you

Around here they are called Shomes. A shop with a living quarters built into it. Some build them to live in while they build their home and others live in them permanently. I think if I were single it would be the best option.  The down side is if there were to be a fire in the shop you loose everything. 

• Like 1

Herder
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The guy at the fire department didn't recommend that idea

Guess you will have to start at the fire department then.  

• Haha 1

JCM

@ebinmaine    My comment 4 hours ago was in reference to the chaps, sorry.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, JCM said:

@ebinmaine    My comment 4 hours ago was in reference to the chaps, sorry.

Hahaha.

No worries.

I'm still wearing them.

• Haha 2

bc.gold
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Just wondering if anybody in our diverse group of people has any experience living in a small space.

Ups and downs. Positives and negatives. General comments.

Or if you know anybody that does... Or have researched it but not made the move yet...

Built a shop with living quarters, open floor plan, the bathroom had access from both the living and shop side, laundry, hot water and NG fired hydronic boiler all on the shop side. Installed three way light switches.

Twelve foot ceiling finished in yellow cedar T & G.

The large shop door operated as guillotine hoisted with an old elevator winch.

The garage door was a large commercial aluminum frame with a lot of glass, originally a folding door made into a solid panel, facing south to take advantage of natural light.

Neighborhood got too crowded, sold.

Eric the timing of this thread is spot on to a new adventure that is currently unfolding in my life, as you with your Tina. I have connected with Ann.

My sister went the other direction, she had this monster built and she is the only occupant. IMO it's a disgusting display but I do approve of the landscaping.

shack.jpg

• Like 3