Pullstart

The Loaner

Tractorhead

Congrats to the new Truck, 
nice looking. 
May it bring you and your Family everytime to your destination healty, safe and without any Fail.

Maybe its a superstition, but a passed Friend of mine was a Selfemployed Taxi owner,
allway‘s if he bought a new Car , he spent a few lucky penny‘s he had in spare and throw it into the Car.
They must be laying where they land, as long as you driving that Truck.

He never failed with that.
i forgot it to do on my Last (whity)😎

How ever, enjoy your new Truck and allways ride Safe 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Today was the first time I laid under this new Silverado.  The point in mind was exhaust.  A turbo is a natural muffler and spark arrestor.  So much so, that the Michigan DNR allows a turbo as both items in their “forest trail systems.”  I figure a small length 3” muffler and straight through exhaust would be enough to let this breath but not be the “fart can” that has been mentioned.

I found something quite impressive for a new vehicle, but also quite concerning as well.

For the impressive moment: The catalytic converter is right after the turbo, I’m assuming it’s assembled on the engine at manufacturing time.  There is a single flange after that, all 3” construction, a stainless bellows and one monster muffler.  It’s at least 2’ long.  After that, a 3” single tailpipe.  If is all mandrel bent and quite simple.  After the 2 bolt flange, there is no sensor or wiring all the way to the tailpipe.

My concern:  There’s this thing called an adaptive valve just prior to the muffler.  It springs shut and relies on exhaust flow to push it open.  When cold, I’ve felt a rough rpm if you will and I imagine that below freezing, the moisture in the exhaust system is freezing it closed.  What a design.  I can’t wait to “fix” that!  When it was in the garage, it moved freely.  It’s 26 degrees today and it was already frozen shut after about 20 minutes being outside.

As soon as I can, I plan to at least get rid of the “adaptive valve.”  I see this as a power and fuel mileage robbing device, making the engine work harder than it needs to keep it open.  If I can find a muffler that does the trick without sounding too farty, I’ll swap that out too!

cschannuth
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Today was the first time I laid under this new Silverado.  The point in mind was exhaust.  A turbo is a natural muffler and spark arrestor.  So much so, that the Michigan DNR allows a turbo as both items in their “forest trail systems.”  I figure a small length 3” muffler and straight through exhaust would be enough to let this breath but not be the “fart can” that has been mentioned.

I found something quite impressive for a new vehicle, but also quite concerning as well.

For the impressive moment: The catalytic converter is right after the turbo, I’m assuming it’s assembled on the engine at manufacturing time.  There is a single flange after that, all 3” construction, a stainless bellows and one monster muffler.  It’s at least 2’ long.  After that, a 3” single tailpipe.  If is all mandrel bent and quite simple.  After the 2 bolt flange, there is no sensor or wiring all the way to the tailpipe.

My concern:  There’s this thing called an adaptive valve just prior to the muffler.  It springs shut and relies on exhaust flow to push it open.  When cold, I’ve felt a rough rpm if you will and I imagine that below freezing, the moisture in the exhaust system is freezing it closed.  What a design.  I can’t wait to “fix” that!  When it was in the garage, it moved freely.  It’s 26 degrees today and it was already frozen shut after about 20 minutes being outside.

As soon as I can, I plan to at least get rid of the “adaptive valve.”  I see this as a power and fuel mileage robbing device, making the engine work harder than it needs to keep it open.  If I can find a muffler that does the trick without sounding too farty, I’ll swap that out too!

if you find something that sounds good let me know. I am on a couple eco-boost sites and folks are asking all the time what exhaust they can get that will sound good. The answer to date is that there isn’t one. The V-6 is going to sound like a V-6. A lot of guys wonder whether they should get a V-8 or the V-6 on the Ford side and I always tell them if they want it to sound good get the V-8. If they want to tow or race people at stoplights, they need to get either of the little turbo engines. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

I’m not really looking for “that” V8 sound... that’s what other trucks around here are for.  I’m looking for quiet-ish at idle and something you can hear going down the road.  It has that auto stop which doesn’t bother me, but if there was a lot of noise at idle, then nothing, then a lot again...  you know.

• Like 1

Tractorhead

I have seen such a Valve as a Bimetal version, that shall just be close if enginetemp is below a defines value.

above it shall releasing.

about my asking i get the answer „ this should be for a faster preheating of the Catalytic converter if Engine runs first few minutes.“

i don‘t know if that is the same technic, but if so, it will be releasing after the Exhause temp reaches 40deg.C at this Valve‘s 

bimetall spring.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
31 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

I have seen such a Valve as a Bimetal version, that shall just be close if enginetemp is below a defines value.

above it shall releasing.

about my asking i get the answer „ this should be for a faster preheating of the Catalytic converter if Engine runs first few minutes.“

i don‘t know if that is the same technic, but if so, it will be releasing after the Exhause temp reaches 40deg.C at this Valve‘s 

bimetall spring.

This valve appears to be all metallic and is far from the converter.  The video explains pretty much that the flow of exhaust pushes the flap open and it’s main design purpose is for reducing sound waves.

19richie66

I just installed a factory 2018 exhaust system on my 2006. It had that flapper in it. I cut it out and welded the pivot rod holes shut. Unbelievable that the factory hangers matched up perfectly. Had to cut 6” off the main pipe but it laid in there perfectly. Actually sounds better than the Walker Dynomax 1 into 2 straight through muffler that my nephew put on it before I got it. The sound droned off the front of my trailer towing it down the interstate. 12 hours of that was enough to make you crazy. I know I’m getting old when I like quiet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

As some of you may know I worked at Walker Exhaust (Tenneco) for 22 years that valve was also used inside of mufflers I believe the VT line (that is now defunct) I also have a similar valve on my 14 with 5.3L @pullstart Kevin you could just "wire" in the the wide open position until warmer weather... @19richie66 I'll agree there are better mufflers out there but the ultra Flo are to beat https://www.dynomax.com/mufflers ... But don't take my word for it not trying to sell them as I no longer work there... One might try Hooker https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/mufflers/absorption_glass_pack_mufflers/vr304/parts/21646HKR that also owns Flowmaster.   I recently bought a Diablo "tuner" for my 14 Silverado next upgrades are Cold Air Intake and Cat back exhaust systems so far I have put in the 87 octane MPG tune and tire size corrector and yes my mileage has increased as well as a more pleasurable driving experience so far ... May turn the wick up even more later in the spring.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

I put mine back all factory stock. Even took off the air intake and went back to a factory air cleaner box

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
4 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

I put mine back all factory stock. Even took off the air intake and went back to a factory air cleaner box

It depends on the brand of C.A.I. (K&N from my experiences seem louder "annoying" vs Spectre) on my '06 Silverado 4.3L V6 I have an eBay CAI and a "generic" Flowmaster 40 really isn't near as annoying as the "turbo tubes" glass packs on the Big Block C30.

IMAG4842.jpg

IMAG4331.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1