AHS

What wire is this/ hooked to?

AHS

The photos of of my 70 or 71 Raider 12. It seems like the wire come out of the front of the engine. The rectifier wires come out of the other side of the engine. What wire is it? Where does it go to? 👍

E3A77423-F415-4FA0-A0F5-BC0FA60EC91C.jpeg

01D0716B-1BFB-40D2-91CF-6716BEBCB218.jpeg

ebinmaine

I don't know what that is but I'm going to follow along because I'm curious as well.

Just as a point of info, you're missing a spacer under the pivot bar that goes to your throttle cable.

That's why it appears to be bent and scratching the engine cover at the top.

• Like 2

AHS
47 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I don't know what that is but I'm going to follow along because I'm curious as well.

Just as a point of info, you're missing a spacer under the pivot bar that goes to your throttle cable.

That's why it appears to be bent and scratching the engine cover at the top.

A spacer in behind it? It looks bent!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
40 minutes ago, AHS said:

A spacer in behind it? It looks bent!

Yep it is.

I can get a pic tomorrow or you can hunt around for one here.

There's a spacer maybe 3/8" thick that's missing.

• Like 1

AHS
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Yep it is.

I can get a pic tomorrow or you can hunt around for one here.

There's a spacer maybe 3/8" thick that's missing.

Yup, there is one on my 73 wheel horse “ mowing tractor!”, it’s a little dark and blown up! But that’s the spacer! It’s always nice to have a tractor to refer to!👍😄

60CCD039-63A9-4C3F-9C8E-21E9FA4CEF2B.jpeg

• Like 2

AHS

Ok, now what’s it for? What does it go to?

gwest_ca

That spacer has a step in the OD. The flat piece is free to pivot when the mounting bolt is tight.

Is the loose wire the one that went to the breakerless ignition coil?

Garry

• Like 1

AHS
4 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

That spacer has a step in the OD. The flat piece is free to pivot when the mounting bolt is tight.

Is the loose wire the one that went to the breakerless ignition coil?

Garry

Ok, the points and the condenser go to neg. and the ignition goes to pos. ? What does it go to?

gwest_ca

1970 Raider 12 model 1-6251 - Uses Kohler K301S-47371c with breakerless magneto ignition

Sounds like you no longer have the breakerless ignition or the engine has been replaced.

If you have points and condenser and an external coil you now have battery ignition.

Tuck the spare wire out of the way and forget about it.

Is is not uncommon to add points condenser and external coil when the very expensive breakerless ignition system fails.

Garry

• Like 2

AHS
28 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

1970 Raider 12 model 1-6251 - Uses Kohler K301S-47371c with breakerless magneto ignition

Sounds like you no longer have the breakerless ignition or the engine has been replaced.

If you have points and condenser and an external coil you now have battery ignition.

Tuck the spare wire out of the way and forget about it.

Is is not uncommon to add points condenser and external coil when the very expensive breakerless ignition system fails.

Garry

Ok! Is that common a on a 1970, ( not that long ago, right?!) I have a ‘70 and a ‘73 14hp, which is running, and it does not have that wire.

Wildhorse

That wire is from the trigger on breakerless ignition. One wire comes off stator and goes to trigger and then one from trigger to breakerless coil. 

It was common for those motors and some blocks were pre drilled and tapped for points conversion. A small plug was placed in points plunger

hole and screw holes were tapped and ready for points and cover screws. An updated steel points plunger rod was also introduced in the 80's

to replace the aluminum ones for longevity purposes.

• Like 1

Wildhorse

You should have two wires coming out of the other side that come from stator and go to AC terminals on rectifier.

You have a points cover and appears to be wire coming from points so I'm assuming it is in fact a battery ignition now.

AHS
51 minutes ago, Wildhorse said:

You should have two wires coming out of the other side that come from stator and go to AC terminals on rectifier.

You have a points cover and appears to be wire coming from points so I'm assuming it is in fact a battery ignition now.

Yup, exactly .

AHS
1 hour ago, Wildhorse said:

That wire is from the trigger on breakerless ignition. One wire comes off stator and goes to trigger and then one from trigger to breakerless coil. 

It was common for those motors and some blocks were pre drilled and tapped for points conversion. A small plug was placed in points plunger

hole and screw holes were tapped and ready for points and cover screws. An updated steel points plunger rod was also introduced in the 80's

to replace the aluminum ones for longevity purposes.

Ok! It doesn’t look like this tractor has been used much... before the attach o matic... the Raider 12 has the mower deck (36” RD) in beautiful shape. And it has the updated points/ coil, which could have been done in the early 90’s??

Wildhorse

The points conversion could have been done at any time not 90's specific. The Raider and other 12hp models of that era also had side discharge decks.

They had a side mounted mule drive setup. Your also missing the choke cable bracket that mounts just above pivoting throttle cable bracket that your 

missing spacer for. You're also missing bracket for throttle cable on valve cover unless I'm just not seeing it in pic. Decks mount just like attach o matic,

only difference is mule drive. The Raider 12 will easily handle a 42" side discharge deck.

AHS
13 hours ago, Wildhorse said:

The points conversion could have been done at any time not 90's specific. The Raider and other 12hp models of that era also had side discharge decks.

They had a side mounted mule drive setup. Your also missing the choke cable bracket that mounts just above pivoting throttle cable bracket that your 

missing spacer for. You're also missing bracket for throttle cable on valve cover unless I'm just not seeing it in pic. Decks mount just like attach o matic,

only difference is mule drive. The Raider 12 will easily handle a 42" side discharge deck.

Ok! The tractor is on a long rebuild...I have all the pieces.. somewhere! 

AHS

Ok, so I robbed the coil of the Raider 12, and would like to replace it with something new. It has points. Shouldn’t it be the same as all the other kohler k series? I took the tractor info in to the dealer, and they said it was too old! I’m just looking for a part number. Thanks.

ebinmaine

Your local auto parts store might have a usable coil.

Perhaps @953 nut @squonk @pfrederi could help with a number?

pfrederi

Any 12 volt internally resisted coil would work  Cheap on bay

• Like 1

953 nut

VW used a 12 volt internally resisted coil.

AHS
16 hours ago, Wildhorse said:

ok

squonk

Napa IC64SB

AHS

Ok, I bought coil off a 312 (off eBay). And, I was to think, a 312 doesn’t have points, and mine does... does that matter?

953 nut

If it looks like this you will be fine. image.jpeg.17a2bd58ed4b7f73e20c9e44c4bb0b4b.jpeg

If it looks like this, not so fine.image.jpeg.88b2e4c2dac75ada83a2abb4bb2faf69.jpeg

Edited by 953 nut

AHS
27 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

If it looks like this you will be fine. image.jpeg.17a2bd58ed4b7f73e20c9e44c4bb0b4b.jpeg

If it looks like this, not so fine.image.jpeg.88b2e4c2dac75ada83a2abb4bb2faf69.jpeg

Ok!it looks like the top one! I’m good!👍

• Thanks 1