ebinmaine

Trailer advice and help needed. Horse hauler. Utility trailer.

ebinmaine

I have an older 5 by 8 utility trailer that is Rock solid.

Very heavy duty for a single axle. GVW is 3400 lb. Much heavier than I need but it was a great deal.

I like it alot but it's just not wide enough to put two horses side by side.

There are two things I'm considering doing that would solve this problem.

The first would be to keep the trailer and use oak or PT boards to go crossways over the top of the rails and then support them underneath.

I would bolt them in place so that they are removable when I want to go get aggregate products but also very stable.

The tractors would then sit 1 foot higher than they are now and I would have all that space, minus the braces of course, under the tractors for cargo.

The other thing I was thinking about is to purchase a well used but still decent 2 place snowmobile trailer. Roughly 8 by 8 ft.

I think adding the boards and braces would probably be at least $100, $150 Maybe.

Purchasing another trailer would be more like in the $300 to $500 range.

So which one would you do, and why?

JAinVA

I would go with the snowmobile trailer because changing back and forth to me would be a pita.Obviously your call but you asked.Luck,JimAnderson.

As an aside did I miss this years Owlhead pictures,I was really looking forward to them.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

this years Owlhead pictures,I was really looking forward to them

Take a gander on down through this thread...

JAinVA

Eric have you seen the platform Pullstart (Kevin) fabbed up for his truck? If you go that route he probably has a lot of tips.Slick setup.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk

I have 6 x 10 with a ramp gate. Using skinny tires I can put my 857 on sideways and my 953 & 1267 on side by side. If I had to do it over again the smallest I would want is 6 1/2 x 12. I would get the biggest trailer you can store,haul and afford. You never know what you might need in the future.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

I have an ex snowmobile trailer.  Snow mobiles do not weigh very much.  i do not put heavy loads on it.  The M274 Mule is probably the heaviest at 900 lbs +/-

ebinmaine
59 minutes ago, squonk said:

I have 6 x 10 with a ramp gate. Using skinny tires I can put my 857 on sideways and my 953 & 1267 on side by side. If I had to do it over again the smallest I would want is 6 1/2 x 12. I would get the biggest trailer you can store,haul and afford. You never know what you might need in the future.

I've seriously considered getting a 6 by 12 but I'm very limited by towing capability right now. I won't have a pickup truck for another two to four years.

wallfish

How about cutting the side rail and making a way to re-attach it with pipe or something or fold down. Pull the rail off or fold it down and you can ramp the tractors on from the side. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, wallfish said:

How about cutting the side rail and making a way to re-attach it with pipe or something or fold down. Pull the rail off or fold it down and you can ramp the tractors on from the side. :twocents-02cents:

I had that very same idea but it was indicated to me that the upper rails are part of the weight support system of that type of trailer.

I feel like I'd still be fine cutting them and making the rails a bolt in piece because I'm not hauling anywhere near the rated capacity of the trailer.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

JAinVA

Eric

The side rails as built are part of the trailer's basic load structure.Think of a bridge truss,It probably would be fine with a of couple of WHs but a ton or more of road gravel may be a problem.I may be overthinking this but have told the missus many times pass utility trailers quickly,and never pace one.I have seen to many accidents involving single axle trailers to ever want spend any time near one on the interstate.I know you are a thoughtful person so remember that this creation will be on a public roadway.Just saying.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, JAinVA said:

remember that this creation will be on a public roadway.

I don't think you're overthinking it at all.

That's the very reason I posted the thread.

@wallfish John I got to thinking and I can't cut a rail anyways... A C series won't fit sideways.

Pullstart

Eric,  I built my deck over strictly out of necessity needing to pull the RV and haul tractors at the same time.  We considered looking at toy haulers but because we got such a good deal on our camper, we soon realized we’d be doubling our cost in the camping end of the spectrum to find a reasonable replacement... then thought of just driving two trucks.  

As as far as trailers go, I tend to overthink and overbuild and over pack.  I followed (at a safe distance) a motorhole hauling a Suzuki Samauri on a single axle utility trailer last year heading up north on the interstate.  I wouldn’t ever think to put that load on one utility axle, but it was probably rated to do so.  I’d be more comfortable looking for a dual axle trailer for the redundancy of an extra footprint.

Now we get to your situation.  I would think you’re crafty enough to somewhat duplicate the deck-over idea and overbuild it to hold your horses (ha!  Hold your horses, Mister!) and keep a bit of room for storage.  You have plenty of tree limbs to help with loading and unloading of the deck, right?  A simple pulley system would help to get it off the trailer for gravel use.  It would also hold you over until you’re in the truck market to get a bigger trailer at the same time.  I like the deal that @dells68 got on his trailer this spring/summer and would love to add something like that to my hauling fleet!

I also have an 8x8 snowmobile trailer.  Little did I know, someone hauled something quite heavy at one time and the axle was bent pretty bad.  The tires looked great from the outside, but the inside tread was nearly gone.  I jacked the axle up and welded in a support to give it a little upward now, to anticipate a load like the semi flat beds do.  It hauls better and I trust it for a couple tractors now... but loading with the tilt mechanism is still a bit cumbersome.  You’d have to load simultaneously or half load one, then drive the other up, block and strap it, then finish the other to use the tilt... or simply use ramps from the stationary position.

FB039FB8-F905-4D64-9CF3-FA9F7F253E42.jpeg

FE130E02-A0C3-45A2-9D4D-51CB32E3C9C3.jpeg

524987C4-BD5E-4705-B282-93362029C4AE.jpeg

67D9554B-F254-4471-B506-CA5731A09FAC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Blackhood Bill

@ebinmaine I have a 6 1/2 x 12 carry-on trailer with a rear gate. I don't think I can get both my blackhoods (C-145 hydro's) on at the same time. I did see a you tube video where they supported the gate level and used flat stock bolted on to hold it in place. I'm not sure that is the way to go. Even though it was specifically stated that this was not intended to hold any weight, just as an extension for items like carrying 14 foot lumber. I do know that carryon now make a 6 1/2 and 12 that has not only a rear gate but a side gate also 

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Eric, how about a pic of your trailer and it might help us help you, figure something out. 

Randy

• Like 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

What vehicle are you pulling your trailers with? I know personally I am a big fan of budgeting each month a certain amount of money until I can get what I actually need. I think it would be worth saving your $$ until you can buy a decent utility trailer. I myself have a snowmobile trailer that I use, but it is just not quite what I need as it isn't as sturdy as I would like. I'm in process of saving for a 12' utility that has side ramps. Just my :twocents-02cents:

WHNJ701
18 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Purchasing another trailer would be more like in the $300 to $500 range.

and where are these 300 to 500 trailers???  a decent utility is more like 1k around here

Edited by jabelman
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Eric, how about a pic of your trailer and it might help us help you, figure something out. 

Randy

Thought about that yesterday and then completely forgot.

I'll get one later today...

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

What vehicle are you pulling your trailers with? I know personally I am a big fan of budgeting each month a certain amount of money until I can get what I actually need. I think it would be worth saving your $$ until you can buy a decent utility trailer. I myself have a snowmobile trailer that I use, but it is just not quite what I need as it isn't as sturdy as I would like. I'm in process of saving for a 12' utility that has side ramps. Just my :twocents-02cents:

You and I are thinking on the same wavelengths but I only have so much tow capacity.

My towing vehicle is a 2014 Kia Sorento which is only capable of towing 1650 lbs to 1800 lb depending on where you look.

1 hour ago, jabelman said:

and where are these 300 to 500 trailers???  a decent utility is more like 1k around here

I don't know if it's still there but just yesterday there was a 96 by 102 snowmobile trailer around South Portland Craigslist for $300

Here in Maine snowmobiling is obviously... Huge.

At the right time of year and if you're in the right place you can get decent used snowmobile trailers for under $500 all day long.

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

You and I are thinking on the same wavelengths but I only have so much tow capacity.

My towing vehicle is a 2014 Kia Sorento which is only capable of towing 1650 lbs to 1800 lb depending on where you look.

I would advise you to put a transmission cooler on your Sorento and then you can get the most out of it. I take it based on your towing capacity that your has the 4 cylinder and not the 6 so maybe a lighter snowmobile trailer would be the way to go.

• Like 2

Pullstart
54 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

I would advise you to put a transmission cooler on your Sorento and then you can get the most out of it. I take it based on your towing capacity that your has the 4 cylinder and not the 6 so maybe a lighter snowmobile trailer would be the way to go.

One of the benefits of having a gear jammer.... one less gauge to keep an eye on!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Correct assumption on the engine size. Thank you for reminding me about the transmission cooler. I was thinking about getting one and it slipped my mind.

• Excellent 1

Sparky

As far as trailer size goes, my Big-Tex 6.6 x 12 will hold 4 “C” series easily with room at the back for a yard cart or snow-plows. But I have a truck to tow it with. 

Maybe squirrel away a few more bucks and go with an aluminum trailer? My Big -Tex empty is creeping up on your max tow capacity.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Sparky said:

As far as trailer size goes, my Big-Tex 6.6 x 12 will hold 4 “C” series easily with room at the back for a yard cart or snow-plows. But I have a truck to tow it with. 

Maybe squirrel away a few more bucks and go with an aluminum trailer? My Big -Tex empty is creeping up on your max tow capacity.

The size and shape of what you have is just about what I would be looking for in three or four years.

I wouldn't want to pull more than 2 tractors with this vehicle even if I could although the aluminum would make me feel better if I had one.

• Like 2

Lee1977

Eric go ahead and get a pickup and big trailer. How can you buy up all the Wheel Horses with no way to haul them. :ychain:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

Eric go ahead and get a pickup and big trailer. How can you buy up all the Wheel Horses with no way to haul them. :ychain:

Oh I will.... Someday....