Shea Worden

8 speed transmission problem

Shea Worden

Hey guys, my wheelhorse c81 got a new transmission last year and now it’s grinding when I drive. First thing the brake pulley is on a higher shaft and doesn’t work with the c81 brake rod and hardware. Second the bearing behind the intake pulleyhas fallen out, which I assume is the grinding sound. Is there a way I can fix it without taking the whole transmission apart? I don’t have enough knowledge to do that kind of repair. Thanks so much -Shea 

Achto

A couple of pictures may help us better understand the extent of the repair needed. If you do need to take the tranny apart @stevasaurus has some great video's to walk you through the process.

stevasaurus

Shea, you will have to open the transmission to fix the bearing...and I would not drive it around anymore until that is fixed.

We need a couple  of pictures of the trans to see what it is.  A good picture of the left side showing the brake drum and axle, and one of the right side with the input pulley and the top of the trans.  Do you know the story behind the transmission.??

Shea, if you know how to use a 9/16 box end wrench, you can do this trans.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

ebinmaine

If you need any pictures of what that thing is supposed to look like let me know. I have a C81 Parts tractor.

Steve is right. Repairing your transmission may seem a bit daunting but it's actually a pretty simple setup. Any kind of minor mechanical knowledge at all and you will be able to handle that repair.

The fine folks on Redsquare will be more than happy to help you out from start to finish.

• Like 1

Shea Worden

The first photo is the side opposite the brake shaft, as you can see there is no bearing so it rattles back and forth and grinds. The others are my original and new transmission on the bench, then I cracked open the original transmission. Where can I find gaskets, seals , and bearings for these?? Thanks for all the help so far guys

FB5E4D70-4D64-4DDC-8436-47ED0E1C1172.jpeg

3EF0E939-ED03-4EEA-9E76-8D3072A28C83.jpeg

5568D00C-D46B-4CBE-BC5F-52E55E27339A.jpeg

022468FE-3AEF-4C3F-AD45-1B82BB7A7D5B.jpeg

• Like 1

dcrage

I don’t know transmissions. BUT I do know from reading this forum that you want to have the shallow side DOWN before separating the case. 

• Like 1

Shea Worden
11 minutes ago, dcrage said:

I don’t know transmissions. BUT I do know from reading this forum that you want to have the shallow side DOWN before separating the case. 

Well I guess I’m going to have a little mess trying to do that 😂

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Shea Worden said:

Where can I find gaskets, seals , and bearings for these??

You go in the vendors section and look for Wheel Horse parts and more. Lowell will set you right up with every single thing you need.

• Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
21 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

If you need any pictures of what that thing is supposed to look like let me know. I have a C81 Parts tractor.

Steve is right. Repairing your transmission may seem a bit daunting but it's actually a pretty simple setup. Any kind of minor mechanical knowledge at all and you will be able to handle that repair.

The fine folks on Redsquare will be more than happy to help you out from start to finish.

:text-yeahthat:

Shea Worden
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You go in the vendors section and look for Wheel Horse parts and more. Lowell will set you right up with every single thing you need.

Thank you very much I’ll go check him out right now 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

All the oil seals you can get from you local

napa auto parts.

stevasaurus

Shea, here is the manual for taking apart and putting together that trans.  You want section V.  I also have some videos in the reference section/transmissions that may help you.  You would want the one that deals with the #5060...while not your trans, it is very similar.  :occasion-xmas:

You may have to turn that trans over to get it aart...I believe the 1st thing after the bolts is the hi/low lever and your shifter...and all pulleys and hubs.