pfrederi

Sometimes the Lawn Ranger isn't big enough

formariz

Nice. Never seen one of those. Can we have more photos and details about it?

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I've seen video of one of those in the past. I can't remember where. Maybe a movie? I never realized that they were actually produced in mass numbers.

That's a pretty interesting machine there Paul. Thanks for sharing that. That would be some kind of handy around here at times.

• Like 1

formariz

That thing is just plain awesome. How did you come to acquire it? Surplus? Expensive?

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2

Pullstart

I love all the safety features!  Box to keep stuff, tow strap holder on the rear, you’re good to go!

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've seen video of one of those in the past. I can't remember where. Maybe a movie? 

Maximum Overdrive  and the clown faced Detroit powered KW...

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

YESSS

• Like 1

pfrederi
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

I love all the safety features!  Box to keep stuff, tow strap holder on the rear, you’re good to go!

A couple times  I have started her in gear and run myself over:P.....Not lately...

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

YESSS

Hard to beat the classics...that Mule kept beeping the horn in MORSE code and had the big belt fed 50 cal on it in the movie

• Like 1

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Hard to beat the classics...that Mule kept beeping the horn in MORSE code and had the big belt fed 50 cal on it in the movie

The army never mounted 50 cals.  the 106 rr did have a 50 cal  (semi auto I think she had a 10 rd magazine) coaxial as a spotting round.

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

The army never mounted 50 cals.  the 106 rr did have a 50 cal  (semi auto I think she had a 10 rd magazine) coaxial as a spotting round.

It was a movie prop... Google "MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE ARMY MULE"

Screenshot_20190320-205801.png

• Like 1

cafoose
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

• Like 2

pfrederi

mule.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@pfrederi  How did you get to own such a great machine?

• Like 3

Sarge

I have lusted after a Mule since the day I saw one in use in San Diego - talk about the most useful ATV ever built - wow. The thing I find odd is no aftermarket company has really copied one - that doesn't make sense.

Sarge

pfrederi
14 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I have lusted after a Mule since the day I saw one in use in San Diego - talk about the most useful ATV ever built - wow. The thing I find odd is no aftermarket company has really copied one - that doesn't make sense.

Sarge

It has some disadvantages.  Even with 4 wheel steer it has a big turning radius. There are no differentials.  The wheels have to slip which can tear up your grass a bit.  Suspension is limited to the fat soft tires and your seat cushion.

Parts are reasonably available.  Especially for the engine as it was used in 5kxw generators and there were a lot of them.

One interesting if not terribly useful factor.  The steering column can be swung forward so you can walk behind it operating clutch pedal with your hand.

Have loaded it with much more than 1000 lbs no problems.

I bought mine in 2006 much cheaper back then.  She hauls a water tank, Spray rig and is great for fence work and hauling wood.

I got it because I had one for my medical platoon back in 1973.  It was a blast to drive back then and still is.

They come up for sale on military vehicle sites and there is a least one company that sells the with some addons (electric start lights etc) 

Note the A5 model did not have 4 wheel steering very  very big turning radius and not as desirable

http://www.mechanicalmulesofamerica.com/CombatMule.html

LengerichKA88

When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton (2011-2013) , my barracks was about 1/3 mile away from the Armor Musuem. They had one of these sitting out for a couple weeks, off to the side. My buddies and I thought it was something that they were in the process of restoring for display, seeing as it looked incomplete. 

I now know that what was siting there was a complete vehicle 😂

That would definitely be a blast to work with. If you ever decide to get rid of it let me know 😂🤣

Tractor boy

Slap some red paint and some custom logos and maybe you could turn it into a wheelhorse.....

WHX??
5 hours ago, Sarge said:

aftermarket company has really copied one - that doesn't make sense.

Actually is does make sense Sarge ... no market for them. I mean a few would sell but the masses are still gonna want the side x sides for chore work. Even if say Polaris, Yamaha or whomever would make a platform like that it would be cheaper made and probably be junk and nowhere close to hauling a half a ton.

I could see the Chinese making one tho if there was a market other than military.

Shame that half of them made were left in  Vietnam to rot.

Who made these Paul? Willys by chance?

• Like 1

pfrederi
10 minutes ago, WHX22 said:

Actually is does make sense Sarge ... no market for them. I mean a few would sell but the masses are still gonna want the side x sides for chore work. Even if say Polaris, Yamaha or whomever would make a platform like that it would be cheaper made and probably be junk and nowhere close to hauling a half a ton.

I could see the Chinese making one tho if there was a market other than military.

Shame that half of them made were left in  Vietnam to rot.

Who made these Paul? Willys by chance?

Willys built the A1 version with a Willys 4 cylinder air cooled engine.  The engine was a weak spot so A2 A3 and A5 were built with the mil standard AO42 engine.  Brunswick (bowling alleys and boats) was one of a few contractors that built the later variants.  A1 versions were taken back and the willys engine pulled and replaced by the AO42. and redesignated A4 (mine)  Mine has the holes in the deck from the dual exhaust the willys engine used.

pfrederi

Had another load on the mule and decided to drag one of the ash trees out of the hedge row so I can cut it up easier. Try that with your Honda Quad :P

Notice no wheel spin

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine

Well done Paul.

Meaning no offense to those who have ATVs or UTV's but I just don't have any use for them here.

I bought a garden tractor very much on purpose because I like to be able to hook up with something that is very heavy and has a fair pile of traction and go slowly and it just seems to work the best for the way I operate.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Had another load on the mule and decided to drag one of the ash trees out of the hedge row so I can cut it up easier. Try that with your Honda Quad :P

Notice no wheel spin

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

No disrespect, My old quad (pic with my boy) was an off brand water cooled 300cc CVT Hi/Lo trans 4x4, @ebinmaine, that would go really slow and articulate so much better through the rough terrain of our wood lot than my 520 or dads Cub Cadet, tugged trees like that no problem just couldn't/can't haul more than 300# on the racks plus my behind, my new quad is more powerful with a bigger bite with the tires I picked out ( now with a ball hitch and one of those fancy Northern Tool articulating trailers would be a nice wood hauler)         https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200674106_200674106?&cm_mmc=Google-pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4fHkBRDcARIsACV58_Fcawzbjek6U2xtcgt4PSr_2K3AcuEiJTUXuqGsE6gVLy0Gu9ISysQaAu8zEALw_wcB&utm_campaign=Polar Sport&utm_content=56079&utm_medium=Lawn %2B Garden > Lawn %2B Garden Utility Trailers&utm_source=Google_PLA   ...every now and then I would pull a Kevin @pullstart when hauling my quad and the boy's to go play in the mud...

IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0538.jpg

IMAG0539.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

• Excellent 2