HappyHillbilly

'76 C160 Ignition Switch w/connector

HappyHillbilly

Hi folks! New member & first post.

I've got a 1976 C160 - Model: 61-16KS01 that I'm starting to work on, with a low budget.

I need an ignition switch and the wire connector. My switch is seized up and when I unplugged the connector a tab broke off due to be rusted in the connector. Unfortunately, it just so happens to be one of the 4 out of 5 connectors that are used.

Any suggestions on where to get good, low-cost replacements?

Also - where can I get a parts manual for this tractor?

Thanks for your time & consideration!

I'd like to give a shout of "Thanks!" to "gwest_ca" (Garry) for directing me here.

Have a great day!

HH

(Mike)

Edited by HappyHillbilly

KC9KAS

@HappyHillbilly :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Murphy, NC...Is that where Murphy Body works was? My dad worked for a local dairy and they would travel to ? and pick up new milk truck bodies/chassis and drive them back to Holland, IN.

ebinmaine

Hi Mike!

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

That same fella @gwest_ca is the very one who can help the most with the manual.

You've got yourself a great tractor there.

The switch you need can be had online for about $15.

I've had good luck with a Cole hersee part number

A little more $$ but much better quality.

That 5 Pin plug is available as well. Somebody should be able to chime in and tell you how to get ahold of one o those

@953 nut or @pfrederi maybe?

• Like 1

peter lena

happy hillbilly , recently used this with a new ignition switch ,https://www.ebay.com/p/Stens-Universal-Wiring-Harness-STN-430-223/2254367417  for a neat clean switch plug in .you can go on line for your specific switch , model etc. for about 20 $  total making things easy, you have a great tractor to get started with , good luck pete

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, peter lena said:

happy hillbilly , recently used this with a new ignition switch ,https://www.ebay.com/p/Stens-Universal-Wiring-Harness-STN-430-223/2254367417  for a neat clean switch plug in .you can go on line for your specific switch , model etc. for about 20 $  total making things easy, you have a great tractor to get started with , good luck pete

That's the one!!

Thanks Pete.

gwest_ca

Welcome. Glad you joined us. Here are 14 files in no particular order for the 61-16KS01

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q="61-16KS01"&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or

The last one is a poor example of an illustrated parts list (ipl) but all we have for this model.

The one with D&A is the tractor details (D) and the attachment list (A).

If you search the files using an attachment model number you may come across one with a DNA in the file title. Click on it and it will list all the model numbers for that attachment by age or in the order they were produced. Wheel Horse went through multiple owners and multiple model names but the attachments stayed the same except for improvements.

Garry

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Great tractor, you will be amazed how much it can do! 

HappyHillbilly

Multiple replies....

3 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

@HappyHillbilly :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Murphy, NC...Is that where Murphy Body works was? My dad worked for a local dairy and they would travel to ? and pick up new milk truck bodies/chassis and drive them back to Holland, IN.

Thanks for the welcome! I couldn't tell ya for sure if there was such a place here - I've been here for 25yrs and don't recall it. I'll ask some of the locals.

3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Hi Mike!

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

That same fella @gwest_ca is the very one who can help the most with the manual.

You've got yourself a great tractor there.

The switch you need can be had online for about $15.

I've had good luck with a Cole hersee part number

A little more $$ but much better quality.

That 5 Pin plug is available as well. Somebody should be able to chime in and tell you how to get ahold of one o those

@953 nut or @pfrederi maybe?

Thank you for that info! That helps a lot.  As for the tractor - I'm glad to hear it's a good one. My dad had it running before he passed away about 8yrs ago and it's been sitting since.

3 hours ago, peter lena said:

Thanks for that link! I'll place my order for that harness & a switch tomorrow.

2 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Welcome. Glad you joined us. Here are 14 files in no particular order for the 61-16KS01

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q="61-16KS01"&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or

The last one is a poor example of an illustrated parts list (ipl) but all we have for this model.

The one with D&A is the tractor details (D) and the attachment list (A).

If you search the files using an attachment model number you may come across one with a DNA in the file title. Click on it and it will list all the model numbers for that attachment by age or in the order they were produced. Wheel Horse went through multiple owners and multiple model names but the attachments stayed the same except for improvements.

Garry

Thank you! I missed a few of those last night after you directed me here.

By the way - I've got a 1978 Service Manual for B, C & D series in PDF that my cousin, who's a small engine mechanic, sent me. I looked in the Manuals section and didn't see one there, If you'd like to have it to post it I'll send it to ya. Here's a screenshot of the first page:

1978_servicemanual.gif

• Thanks 1

HappyHillbilly
40 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Great tractor, you will be amazed how much it can do! 

Glad to hear that. I've only got a mower deck and what I believe is a 40-inch snow/dozer blade. Thanks!

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, HappyHillbilly said:

tractor - I'm glad to hear it's a good one. My dad had it running before he passed away about 8yrs ago and it's been sitting since.

Mike your ol' man made a top shelf choice there.

In any group of things there are some that are more capable or desirable than others.

Many of the folks on this site and the rest of the tractor world will tell you that the C-160 is both.

It's a bucket-list tractor for most.

It's reliable, easy to repair and maintain.

I'm just about to finish up a full restomod on mine. It's a combination of 1974 and 1977 tractors. Search bar "cinnamon horse".

If that plow is from the same vintage as your tractor it should be a 42".

If it hasn't already been done you'll likely want to get the rear tires fluid filled to help with traction.

Try as hard as you can to find and stick to using NON ethanol gas.

The more you use the C-160 the more things you'll find you like about it.

Same goes for Wheelhorse as a brand.

Oh yeah.....

Horses are well known to be a herd animal. You may as well start clearing a little more shed/garage/barn space for your new herd. :P

• Like 2

gwest_ca
8 hours ago, HappyHillbilly said:

Multiple replies....

Thanks for the welcome! I couldn't tell ya for sure if there was such a place here - I've been here for 25yrs and don't recall it. I'll ask some of the locals.

Thank you for that info! That helps a lot.  As for the tractor - I'm glad to hear it's a good one. My dad had it running before he passed away about 8yrs ago and it's been sitting since.

Thanks for that link! I'll place my order for that harness & a switch tomorrow.

Thank you! I missed a few of those last night after you directed me here.

By the way - I've got a 1978 Service Manual for B, C & D series in PDF that my cousin, who's a small engine mechanic, sent me. I looked in the Manuals section and didn't see one there, If you'd like to have it to post it I'll send it to ya. Here's a screenshot of the first page:

1978_servicemanual.gif

We do have that manual and it is likely the first tractor service manual they ever published. Turns out it covers most years and models is some respects because the same design and parts were used.

Here is one on the 103990 ignition switch. Click on the picture

Here is a link to one of many online Toro dealers for your model. The parts that are still available from any Toro dealer are priced.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/61-16ks01-c-160-toro-c-160-automatic-tractor-1976/

Garry

• Like 2

WHX??

:WRS: Mike

gwest_ca

See we do not have the operator manual for the 1976 C-160 Auto so in case you do not have one these may apply. Click on the pictures.

The online parts lists can be a reason for ordering the wrong parts. Many of the ipl's cover more than one tractor model but the online version does not identify what model uses what. Watch for the same item number used multiple times with different part numbers. Same goes for attachment parts lists. If you have trouble picking the correct part just ask. Someone in this fine forum will know.

An original copy of a parts list clearly shows what model uses what. Unfortunately we do not have all of them.

Garry

HappyHillbilly

Multiple replies, again.

First off - I ordered a switch & harness that should be here toward the end of next week. That'll give

16 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Mike your ol' man made a top shelf choice there.

In any group of things there are some that are more capable or desirable than others.

Many of the folks on this site and the rest of the tractor world will tell you that the C-160 is both.

It's a bucket-list tractor for most.

It's reliable, easy to repair and maintain.

I'm just about to finish up a full restomod on mine. It's a combination of 1974 and 1977 tractors. Search bar "cinnamon horse".

If that plow is from the same vintage as your tractor it should be a 42".

If it hasn't already been done you'll likely want to get the rear tires fluid filled to help with traction.

Try as hard as you can to find and stick to using NON ethanol gas.

The more you use the C-160 the more things you'll find you like about it.

Same goes for Wheelhorse as a brand.

Oh yeah.....

Horses are well known to be a herd animal. You may as well start clearing a little more shed/garage/barn space for your new herd. :P

Eric - I looked at your "cinnamon horse" . That's good work! Lookin' good!

On that plow I've got - after posting about it I looked at the details, attachment PDF and I think it's actually a grader blade because it does measure 40" and that's the only 40" attachment listed. Makes sense as this tractor is originally from FL. Ain't no snow there. HaHa!

Thanks for the other tips. I'd love to eventually completely restore this thing - we'll see.

12 hours ago, WHX21 said:

:WRS: Mike

Thank you! :cool:

12 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

See we do not have the operator manual for the 1976 C-160 Auto so in case you do not have one these may apply. Click on the pictures.

The online parts lists can be a reason for ordering the wrong parts. Many of the ipl's cover more than one tractor model but the online version does not identify what model uses what. Watch for the same item number used multiple times with different part numbers. Same goes for attachment parts lists. If you have trouble picking the correct part just ask. Someone in this fine forum will know.

An original copy of a parts list clearly shows what model uses what. Unfortunately we do not have all of them.

Garry

Thanks, Garry! After reading your posts about part numbers this morning and searching online for the correct ignition switch - I took off my old one and lo & behold it had the 103990 part# on it.

I sure feel like I came to the right place, thanks to Garry, because you folks ROCK! Getting me all excited and confident that with ya'll's help I can do this. I've participated in helping people on various other types of forums so I know & appreciate what you folks do.Thank you, all!

Have a good one!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

:WRS:  @HappyHillbilly  it's a wonderful thing when your realize you've hit the jackpot, when it comes to anything :wh:

Ain't it :text-bravo:

HappyHillbilly
7 hours ago, rjg854 said:

:WRS:  @HappyHillbilly  it's a wonderful thing when your realize you've hit the jackpot, when it comes to anything :wh:

Ain't it :text-bravo:

Haha! :thumbs: Yep, it is. Now all I have to do is hit the lottery jackpot so I can restore this thing faster. And I could use a few of you guys to come clean out my two-car garage that's so full of crap you can barely walk through. It looks like some of those places you see on American Pickers. :chores-mop:

HappyHillbilly

Update: 

The switch & the Stens harness https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/profile/20913-peter-lena/ linked to has been installed, soldered & heat-shrinked harness to existing wires.

Cleaned all contacts/connections well and have full continuity & power where/when it’s supposed to have. Im waiting on a new set of points to see if that will get her running.

Thank you all for your help, which tremendously helped me.

Catch y’all later!

HH

Edited by HappyHillbilly
  • Like 2