Larry Chamberlain

73 wheel horse 4 speed 8hp clutch spring

Larry Chamberlain

Broke my clutch spring seen one on Ebay for 15 bucks was gonna buy it but was wondering if any one has used a over the counter spring for there clutch 

ebinmaine

I wouldn't personally use an after-market one because you can get an original Toro for 10 bucks or so

I know there were two or three different designs and one changed to the other or something like that.

Perhaps someone else can shed some light on it.

@gwest_ca

@953 nut

@pfrederi

@stevasaurus

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Will guess this is the spring you need. Click on the picture for dimensions.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
43 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Will guess this is the spring you need. Click on the picture for dimensions.

Garry

Garry I'm wondering if he needs a 1080 35?

My memory is nowhere near amazing but I'm pretty sure that's the number I ordered for my B and C Series which should be the same as his 1973 no name?

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Could very well be. I don't have the dimensions of the 108035 but if the pictures are accurate one could compare. It was once suggested these are all the same spring but they sure look different.

Garry

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I'm thinking the end-to-end dimensions on that 1 08035 is more like six and a half to 7 inches long

I'll try to remember to check it when I get home

• Like 1

stevasaurus

ACE & Tractor Supply have assortment of springs.  You might take your old one there to see if they have a match.  TORO is a better bet.

• Like 2

Larry Chamberlain

I'll stop by tractor supply after I drop the kids off to school thanks everyone if i cant find anything I'll order original one off Ebay

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Larry Chamberlain said:

I'll stop by tractor supply after I drop the kids off to school thanks everyone if i cant find anything I'll order original one off Ebay

Larry, if they don't have EXACTLY what you need... from my experiences it would be better to go slightly stronger if anything.

Larger wire diameter or slightly shorter spring.

ebinmaine

I forgot to measure my spring last night so I just went and looked up my post where I was trying to figure out the Clutch and Brake issue on my 1267.

Here's the quote from the spring measurement of the one I put on the tractor:

new one is 7-11/16"

I don't know the wire diameter but if you have your old spring and you use the above length listing (or something slightly shorter) you should be able to get something that will work.

Larry Chamberlain

Just picked up one from Toro got the 108035 I drilled a hole and put a bolt in made it easier to hook up 

Larry Chamberlain

They discontinued the spring i have they dont even show a listing for it I'll take picks of the tractor when I'm done just put a 83 inch belt on I might have to go with a 85 maybe tractor supply has them all in stock I'll find out once I got everything together and able to drive it 

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, Larry Chamberlain said:

They discontinued the spring i have they dont even show a listing for it I'll take picks of the tractor when I'm done just put a 83 inch belt on I might have to go with a 85 maybe tractor supply has them all in stock I'll find out once I got everything together and able to drive it 

I am more of a fan of the Gates green belts because I've had generally better luck with them.

Best thing to do is pick up two or three different sizes and have them handy to see which one fits the best.

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Get one either side of what you think you need ... always take the others back.

Larry Chamberlain

Tried the 83 inch to loose 82 too tight cant get it in gear I found a 82 1/2 on Amazon gonna order that one see how it fits 

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, Larry Chamberlain said:

Tried the 83 inch to loose 82 too tight cant get it in gear I found a 82 1/2 on Amazon gonna order that one see how it fits 

Is it a cloth sided belt?

Larry Chamberlain

It's a stens just put it on it grinds a little but goes in feels like it needs to be just a tag bigger wonder if I could get that but putting a slightly smaller pulley on the  rear it's a little over a 6 1/4 I bet if I could find a 6 inch pulley it would prolly work fronts a 4 but its tapped for the clutch wont beable to change that

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Larry Chamberlain said:

It's a stens just put it on it grinds a little but goes in feels like it needs to be just a tag bigger wonder if I could get that but putting a slightly smaller pulley on the  rear it's a little over a 6 1/4 I bet if I could find a 6 inch pulley it would prolly work fronts a 4 but its tapped for the clutch wont beable to change that

I've had a couple that if stretched a little bit and seated into the pulleys just a little more after very little use.

You may want to try to drive it around a little bit and see what happens.

Grinding gears is obviously bad so that does not want to be a long-term thing.

Sounds like the front pulley is the stock one. Do you have any idea if the rear one has ever been changed. Maybe as you think it is just a tiny bit too big?

Larry Chamberlain

The 82 1/2 ended up being the right one I left it idle for a good ten minutes or so hopped on and went right in gear had to fix a couple things on the plow got that done and went and plowed my driveway sidewalk and my neighbors driveway didnt miss a beat motor sounds good and strong thanks for the help

• Thanks 1

953 nut
On 2/18/2019 at 11:57 AM, Larry Chamberlain said:

it grinds a little but goes in

Do you have the belt guard on? The lower side of the belt guard catches the slack in the belt to stop it from moving when the clutch is down.

Larry Chamberlain

Yes I do I had the guard on when I had the 83 inch on and it kept falling off