ebinmaine

Could you folks recommend an inexpensive bench grinder?

ebinmaine

I have a 6" bench grinder that was from Northern Tool that my father got me... At least 10 years ago? Maybe 15?

It has served me well over time particularly for such an inexpensive piece of machinery but over the last year or so it has been coming up to full speed slower and slower and slower.

What with all the usage that it has been getting with our Newfound obsession with repairing and building our own equipment it's time to upgrade.

I really don't want to spend more than about $60 or so but could be a little flexible on that. I know that there are a whole bunch of cheap ones still on the market in the $30 to $40 range.

I'm not sure if I should be looking for any particular features or...?

Sooo...

What say you, kind Folk?

• Like 1

953 nut

Image result for garage Sale

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

WHNJ701

I have the ryobi one from lowes that was cheap, once you take off the dozen or so unnecessary parts it's easier to use.  I got 2 wire wheels on it for cleaning parts, I am mean to it use it hard it's held up.

• Like 2

953 nut
5 minutes ago, jabelman said:

ryobi one from lowes

:confusion-confused:     I think Home Cheapo sells Ryobi too.     :ychain:

• Like 2

Mows4three

Eric:

We don't call them grinders in Pittsburgh.   They're hoagies.   I have also heard them called Po Boys and submarine sandwiches, depending where you live.   If it's a Japanese model, I think those are shrimp rolls.  The Chinese ones are definitely egg rolls.

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

wallfish

Craigslist. And grab some other tools while your there, a guy selling a bench grinder is sure to have some other stuff too.

You never know what you need, until you see it.

• Like 5

JoeM

EB was just curious about grinders on CL, not to many, good ones, used at that price. I do have a low dollar Harboo Freight one. It works okay but ain't got no ass.

Did see this one on CL, interesting. looks like a guy welded a motor to beam.$35 bucks, 2018 money.

HomeMadeGrinder1.jpg.45be8793b0d90033581c6921c84b1035.jpg

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

I would not go cheap , you get what you pay for.  I using my Dad's , he died in 1991. Bet he got it sometime in the 60's. Go do you favorite estate , yard, garage sale , auction.

• Like 5

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Mows4three said:

Eric:

We don't call them grinders in Pittsburgh.   They're hoagies.   I have also heard them called Po Boys and submarine sandwiches, depending where you live.   If it's a Japanese model, I think those are shrimp rolls.  The Chinese ones are definitely egg rolls.

Cheers!

Dave

Hahahahahahahaha

Dave.

Budd.

Pal.

All sounds delicious......

:popcorn:

• Thanks 1

bc.gold
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I have a 6" bench grinder that was from Northern Tool that my father got me... At least 10 years ago? Maybe 15?

It has served me well over time particularly for such an inexpensive piece of machinery but over the last year or so it has been coming up to full speed slower and slower and slower.

What with all the usage that it has been getting with our Newfound obsession with repairing and building our own equipment it's time to upgrade.

I really don't want to spend more than about $60 or so but could be a little flexible on that. I know that there are a whole bunch of cheap ones still on the market in the $30 to $40 range.

I'm not sure if I should be looking for any particular features or...?

Sooo...

What say you, kind Folk?

It's all about amps, copper winding, roller bearings versus oil-lite bushings

I paid $50.00 for the one below at a yard sale and was glade to get it at that price.

yard.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
On 12/18/2018 at 5:08 PM, Mows4three said:

Eric:

We don't call them grinders in Pittsburgh.   They're hoagies.   I have also heard them called Po Boys and submarine sandwiches, depending where you live.   If it's a Japanese model, I think those are shrimp rolls.  The Chinese ones are definitely egg rolls!

Yer a hoot Mows...good one ....HOWEVER when I first moved to CT a shipmate says chow sucks tonite let's go get a grinder. What the heck is a grinder you say? Turned out it was a sub sandwich and that must be what they call them in New England. I have no clue why. I says to my shipmate in my best Midwestern drawl "shouldn't we call them subs? After all we are in the submarine service?" He just shrugged and said let's eat! It was a good sammich! 

HF with a coupon in hand EB. Beat the snot outta it and a day before the warranty expires take it back and say it's broke. Get a new one and beat the snot outta it and a day before.... you get the idea. Repeat this till they are up to your gig, mumble here comes this :occasion-clown: again. They might give ya double yer money back with a promise you won't return. Then get yer money back and go get something good. See Jimbo's post above. :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Sarge

Keep your eyes open at garage sales and especially CL - I picked up an industrial series US-made Craftsman 8" for $50 two years ago, in like-new condition as well. This one is 1-1/2hp, so no bogging down when running heavy wire wheels and such things - it's a monster and weighs over 75lbs. Some of the older Delta (before they went to China) and other brands are great - just hunt for good used ones in the 6-8" range that are around 30yrs old. Even some of the older Taiwan built models are better than what you buy today from the cheapo tool stores. 

Sarge

ebinmaine

@wallfish

@elcamino/wheelhorse

@Mows4three

@Sarge

Others....

I ended up finding two that were pretty interesting to me. I won't have them in my hands for a couple weeks.

One of them is a Foley Belsaw model 327 sharpener.

We'll keep that on hand for putting a good Edge on scissors, knives, axes, etc etc.

I found a much larger and more powerful one as well. Pictured below.

0_15469073451375883499138001957348.jpg.324782bee32f3982d599c6a64124c176.jpg

0_15469073631197739167136266051688.jpg.da5cf62949ebe7c0a418f3cc40d32f69.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Mows4three

Looks like this old school grinder was made before everyone took a leap into the hip new way of marking the On and Off switches with an "I" and an "0."

All kidding aside, it took me over twenty years to figure out that "I" meant ON and "0" meant OFF.  Or is it the other way around?   In any event it looks like a good grinder for you Eric.   

Remember when using all power tools:  Read and understand the owners manual and be sure to wear safety glahsses (paraphrased Nahm Abrams from This Old House).   

Cheers!

Dave

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, Mows4three said:

took me over twenty years to figure out that "I" meant ON and "0" meant OFF

Love those binary numbers....

• Like 1

Sarge

Good score. Talk about holy worn out wheels, though...lol. Hunt around for the CGW grinding wheels - that one looks like a common 6" model, the brown colored general purpose wheels CGW sells cut quickly without a lot of heat buildup and leave a good finish.

Sarge

ebinmaine

I got both of the bench grinders here yesterday.

The big Ram has a new coarse stone on it but the wire brush is way past garbage.

I'll pick one up soon.

It's an approximately 1 hp motor and I'm curious to see how it works. That's twice the size of the Northern.

The Foley Belsaw sharpener is Adorable!!

It's TINY in comparison to the Ram or my other grinder.

The high quality of the product is impressive.

It's VERY quiet and smooth.

We'll certainly keep it on hand and learn how to use it properly.

IMG_20190126_192259960.jpg.6466c463f561227f0a02c483c49a4b2f.jpg

IMG_20190126_192308041.jpg.a276df3d576c7efd3d3ac5c2ab945ccc.jpg

IMG_20190126_192248764.jpg.80bdb548cb587d69ee9cd04e06c1f469.jpg

6wheeler

Those look good. I have an old (25 plus years) Craftsman 1/5th horse that I use for blades and lighter grinding. I also have an old (same age) Buffalo 3/4 horse for bigger jobs. I think it is branded Buffalo because it weighs as much as one. My uncle has a Ram. It has been around as long as I can remember. There are no guards left on it and the switch has been changed so many times that the mount hole needed a bushing put in. But, it still works well. Good luck with them.

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

Do not go cheap on your wire wheel...made that mistake once several years ago.  Got tired of digging wire fragments out of my clothes/skin.  i go with McMasters wire wheels. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, pfrederi said:

7 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Do not go cheap on your wire wheel...made that mistake once several years ago.  Got tired of digging wire fragments out of my clothes/skin.  i go with McMasters wire wheels

I may very well buy one from them.

We bought  a Norton brand at a big-box store a couple years ago and it lasted pretty well.

I tried to get the same thing from Grainger and it may have been defective but the quality was disgusting.

Sarge

One of the best brands out there for the cost of their products is CGW (Camel Grinding Wheels). They have a great line of fine wire, high-density wire wheels that work awesome and actually last. 

I rely on their flap wheels a lot for welding and metalwork - none better for the money.

Sarge

• Thanks 1