Daron1965

Added a Cub to the barn

Daron1965

My brother called me this morning,  said his older neighbor was moving and was selling an older tractor,  so went over to look,  it's a cub cadet 1811 that he built for his granddaughter to pull with.  It turned out she had no interest, so it set for 2 years in his garage. Asked him what he wanted,  he said $50 and gone.  I brought it home.  It has wiring issues that the great members have been helping me with. Last pic is my faithful assistant. 

IMG_20181027_122240.jpg

IMG_20181027_122218.jpg

IMG_20181027_111011.jpg

IMG_20181027_111037.jpg

IMG_20181027_111024.jpg

IMG_20181027_121251.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Nicely done.

Quite a bargain!!

• Like 2

Daron1965

Thank you,  he was happy to get it out of his garage.  He's trying to get rid of many of his larger items,  so he does not have to move them to the South.   

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Look to me like he’s guarding the tractor behind it so I can get a nice friend there 

The Tuul Crib
1 minute ago, The Tool Crib said:

Look to me like he’s guarding the tractor behind it so I can get a nice friend there 

1 minute ago, The Tool Crib said:

The Tuul Crib

Well sorry my typing really stinks tonight I had surgery on my right arm took a pain pill can’t type with my left!

Daron1965
3 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Well sorry my typing really stinks tonight I had surgery on my right arm took a pain pill can’t type with my left!

I totally understand,  I hope your doing well.   My lab, Ruger,  is a great dog,  has always been there for me.  My wife says he's my therapy dog,  along with my therapy tractors.   I have to agree.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto

That is a sweet tractor! Specially for the coin.  Gotta ask about the sweet green machine in the back ground. Have any more pictures of that?!?!

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Nice machines all around.  

That Cub is a really good deal.  The Magnum 18 alone is worth easily five times what you paid for the whole machine.  Nice AG’s on it too and looks like a stack of weights on the front. M18’s are great motors but keep an eye on the crank seals as those can tend to fail on the older engines and give grief.  Guessing that thing sounds like something with those straight pipes running forward.  

I’ve done a fair amount of work on those over the years and I’d happily help you out with any questions or challenges that you may run into.  Feel free to PM me. 

I am am surprised that someone decided to build a pulled out of a hydro.  I know that it is done occasionally but most of the ones I see in our area are gear drives.  Thanks for sharing the cool pics:thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

T-Mo

The 1811 was made from 1986 through 1989, so it was MTD built.  Came with a 18 hp Kohler engine.  Here are brochures from both 1987 and 1988 for the GT line.

1987 gt.pdf

1988 gt.pdf

• Thanks 1

Daron1965

Well,  at 0345 this morning,  phone rang,  of course I answered. Midnight shift supervisor has flu,  needed relief.  So make my coffee and headed in.  Won't get out of here until noon,  and have to be back at 8pm. I probably won't get much work done on it today. :crying-green: 

• Sad 3

SylvanLakeWH

:ph34r: Stole that one!!!

• Like 1

pfrederi
3 hours ago, T-Mo said:

The 1811 was made from 1986 through 1989, so it was MTD built.  Came with a 18 hp Kohler engine.  Here are brochures from both 1987 and 1988 for the GT line.

1987 gt.pdf

1988 gt.pdf

Looking at the advertising it shows the 1811 came with a 2 cylinder Kohler with a solid state ignition system  Aluminum block cast iron jugs.  That would be a Magnum 18 and there would not be coil or points/condenser.  Also i cannot find any KT-18 listed on Kohler engine site. Looked at Kohler there are 3 spec number M18s for Cub Cadet  all had magnetos

• Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

“Pullers” are an interesting group of guys...to say the least, the love modifications!  Even more than that, their hobby necessitates the use of modifications to accomplish their goal of developing a winning machine.  So...I’ve never heard of someone changing a Magnum motor from a magneto ignition back to a cool setup from a KT series motor.  Correct me if I’m wrong guys but I’m guessing it “COULD” be done although I’m not sure why.  The magneto ignition seems to be superior to the points style but maybe the hotter coil would be a reason.  @Daron1965 I can’t wait for you to post the engine tag number if it is still on the upper side of the engine tins just under the left intake runner.  That will lay some of this to rest if the tins weren’t changed.  The switch from a Mag to a coil setup will change a handful of items in the electrical system including the key switch. I’ve done it a couple of times but usually upgrading from the coil to the magneto setup.  I know some guys on here have went the other way with a GT-14...

What reasons guys do you think someone in pulling would prefer the points/condenser setup?

@fast88pu @stevebo @whtractors24 @Aldon

fast88pu
9 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

“Pullers” are an interesting group of guys...to say the least, the love modifications!  Even more than that, their hobby necessitates the use of modifications to accomplish their goal of developing a winning machine.  So...I’ve never heard of someone changing a Magnum motor from a magneto ignition back to a cool setup from a KT series motor.  Correct me if I’m wrong guys but I’m guessing it “COULD” be done although I’m not sure why.  The magneto ignition seems to be superior to the points style but maybe the hotter coil would be a reason.  @Daron1965 I can’t wait for you to post the engine tag number if it is still on the upper side of the engine tins just under the left intake runner.  That will lay some of this to rest if the tins weren’t changed.  The switch from a Mag to a coil setup will change a handful of items in the electrical system including the key switch. I’ve done it a couple of times but usually upgrading from the coil to the magneto setup.  I know some guys on here have went the other way with a GT-14...

What reasons guys do you think someone in pulling would prefer the points/condenser setup?

@fast88pu @stevebo @whtractors24 @Aldon

You can run a hotter coil and adj timing better for higher compression. 

• Thanks 1

LengerichKA88

Give ya 51 for it 😂

• Haha 1

pfrederi

There is a flat spot on the Magnum Block where the points were mounted when the block was used in a KT However I do not see any holes for the mounts or the plunger

• Thanks 1

Daron1965

I will hopefully get some time this week to get back to garage.  Now it's time to get something to eat and lay down for a few hours,  then back to work by 8pm.

I really appreciate all of your comments and advice.   I'm confused about motor and why all the effort put into a hydro:eusa-think:

Daron1965

Was able to get side tins off and snap a few more pics. No time to do anything else.  Working 14 to 16 hrs shifts. :(

IMG_20181104_144141.jpg

IMG_20181104_144120.jpg

IMG_20181104_144114.jpg

• Like 1