CrazyMainer

Sleeve Hitch

CrazyMainer

Hello,

Looking for recommendations on a good sleeve hitch for my XL440H. I'm sure there will be modifications needed, but as little as possible would be nice.

953 nut

:WRS:

The sleeve hitch will offer you the grates range of attachments for your :wh:.    Tell us a little bit about your horse.  :wwp:

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

From a fellow mainah !!

17 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

Good advice there.

58 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The sleeve hitch will offer you the grates range of attachments for your :wh:.    Tell us a little bit about your horse.  :wwp:

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Your XL440H is really just a lawn tractor and a bit light to put a sleeve hitch on. The transaxle (Hy Torq or Peerless?) is not made to do ground-engaging work.

That said, a Universal Sleeve Hitch by Johnny Bucket might be adapted. I had one on my 523Dxi. 

Edited by shallowwatersailor

CrazyMainer

I understand that this tractor isn't made for the kind of work load that other models could handle, but would be nice to be able to pull a few attachments. My biggest question is how would I hook it up to be able to lift and lower the hitch? Also are there any other good snow plow alternatives?

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, CrazyMainer said:

I understand that this tractor isn't made for the kind of work load that other models could handle, but would be nice to be able to pull a few attachments. My biggest question is how would I hook it up to be able to lift and lower the hitch? Also are there any other good snow plow alternatives?

Not sure about the hitch question but as far as the plow goes... What do you mean by alternative? Do you have something now that you do not like?

CrazyMainer
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Not sure about the hitch question but as far as the plow goes... What do you mean by alternative? Do you have something now that you do not like?

Looking for something cheaper, it's obviously going to take a beating and the only thing I can find for my model seems to be upwards of $400 all together... I know I know, cheap isn't better... but once I get my collection really going I may look into an official wheel horse plow.

CrazyMainer
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, shallowwatersailor said:

Your XL440H is really just a lawn tractor and a bit light to put a sleeve hitch on. The transaxle (Hy Torq or Peerless?) is not made to do ground-engaging work.

That said, a Universal Sleeve Hitch by Johnny Bucket might be adapted. I had one on my 523Dxi. 

You would think I could break ground with my XL440H when lesser models from other brands seem to do fine... only perk for cub cadets and other options is they seem to have sleeve hitches specifically for their tractors.

Edited by CrazyMainer

CrazyMainer
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:59 AM, 953 nut said:

I just broke into the wheel horse craze with my near mint xl440h. I'll have pictures up soon :)

ebinmaine
37 minutes ago, CrazyMainer said:

..... but once I get my collection really going I may look into an official wheel horse plow.

In all possible seriousness, if you're going to spend anything like $400 getting a plow on that tractor I would highly advise just getting another tractor. You can find them in that price range with the plow already installed and then do some simple maintenance work to get them up and running for the winter.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, CrazyMainer said:

I just broke into the wheel horse craze with my near mint xl440h. I'll have pictures up soon :)

Also, make sure you have plenty of storage space. Horses are well known to be a herd animal and they will soon multiply.

I was told that about 2 years ago.

I started with one because I needed a good heavy duty tractor and now I might have more than one or... More than... like 7. ...Or more.....

• Like 2

CrazyMainer
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

In all possible seriousness, if you're going to spend anything like $400 getting a plow on that tractor I would highly advise just getting another tractor. You can find them in that price range with the plow already installed and then do some simple maintenance work to get them up and running for the winter.

Yea when the time comes that probably is a better option. But for now are their any universal plows that hook up fine? 

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, CrazyMainer said:

Yea when the time comes that probably is a better option. But for now are their any universal plows that hook up fine? 

I can't say that I know of any but I'm sure there are some on the market.

Do you have any kind of welding or fabrication skills?

CrazyMainer
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I can't say that I know of any but I'm sure there are some on the market.

Do you have any kind of welding or fabrication skills?

I do, unfortunately I don't have a welder atm

CrazyMainer

BTW thanks for all the info and help!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, CrazyMainer said:

I do, unfortunately I don't have a welder atm

I'm not familiar with the newer style models. All of mine are in the 60s and 70s.

What kind of hookups do you have underneath that thing?

CrazyMainer

After further looking at how I could set up a sleeve hitch I decided it's probably not practical at the moment. Still looking for ideas on universal snow plows however. I see some built for craftsman that look like they would hook up. Also what would you guys recommend for ag tires? super lugs? Looking for something more aggressive for winter use, I have extra rims to throw them on already, just need rubbah.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

For winter usage especially up here in Maine I would highly recommend chains on whatever tires you use. Terfs would be perfectly fine with the chains.

I have a couple different ideas in my head and I may even have some parts to be able to help you out as far as the plow an a new set of chains. I'll send you a p.m. in a little while.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

If you're looking for practical impact... turf tires and chains are far more effective in winter than ag tires. We used to have a member @MaineDad Micah that at one time swore by rubber tire chains, even becoming a distributor at one point if I recall correctly. Haven't seen him around in a few years though. 

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

If you could make something like this or I have seen some on ebay for sale as well. That would allow you to put things on the back of you tractor to make it a little more handy. 

21832696599_6fd96e778d_b.jpg

• Like 2

CrazyMainer
1 hour ago, RandyLittrell said:

If you could make something like this or I have seen some on ebay for sale as well. That would allow you to put things on the back of you tractor to make it a little more handy. 

21832696599_6fd96e778d_b.jpg

Sweet set up, and honestly never thought of going this route! You just saved me a huge headache!! It totally slipped my mind that their are tow behind attachments meant for ball and hitch!

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Riding-Mower-Hitch-Receiver-Made-in-the-USA-Fits-any-2-Hitch/153133277536?hash=item23a7746160:g:oiwAAOSwh41aqxu8

Here is one right here. You can also make a carry all to go in it. With a carry all you could use a tank sprayer, haul firewood or garden stuff. It would be pretty handy! 

Randy

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Riding-Mower-Hitch-Receiver-Made-in-the-USA-Fits-any-2-Hitch/153133277536?hash=item23a7746160:g:oiwAAOSwh41aqxu8

Here is one right here. You can also make a carry all to go in it. With a carry all you could use a tank sprayer, haul firewood or garden stuff. It would be pretty handy! 

Randy

I've seen these in use before and they do work well.

Just a slight word of caution here.

As stated by another user above in this thread, although this is a Wheelhorse, it is  lighter duty than the larger, heavier, full frame models.

You have a fair amount of Power with 17 horsepower. You have a fair amount of physical weight with well over 500 lb of that machine. But... It isn't a Garden tractor model.

Just be sure that the holes that you are bolting through have the appropriate size washers and that you are not going over the rated capacity of the machine you are using.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, CasualObserver said:

If you're looking for practical impact... turf tires and chains are far more effective in winter than ag tires. We used to have a member @MaineDad Micah that at one time swore by rubber tire chains, even becoming a distributor at one point if I recall correctly. Haven't seen him around in a few years though. 

Crazymainer what kind of surface are you going to be driving on?

I hadn't thought of this at first and 

It certainly should have been one of my first questions.