Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

PeacemakerJack
2 hours ago, adsm08 said:

I drug my mom's 65 Mustang around today with my 65 Wheelie Horse. They are both red.

:wwp:

no pictures—did it really happen?:teasing-poke:

:ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ZXT
4 hours ago, adsm08 said:

I drug my mom's 65 Mustang around today with my 65 Wheelie Horse. They are both red.

I needed the Mustang out of the garage so I can do some work on the engine and trans of my Ranger. I wanted it parked away from the second door, so it had to go down the hill and back up the hill at the end of the garage. Last time I pushed it up that hill I think I almost had a heart attack, so I towed it this time. I was impressed with how easily it pulled that heavy car up the hill. She didn't even think twice about it.

Pushing a Ford? Falling right into the stereotype! Surely you took some pictures? That would be great to see. I've used my GT-14 to pull my Camaro and Porsche 928 before.. Traction was the main issue. Plenty of power.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

adsm08
9 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:wwp:

no pictures—did it really happen?:teasing-poke:

:ychain:

I was in a rush and didn't have time, or personnel for photography. When I'm done with my truck I'll have to tow it back into the garage, I'll get pics then.

7 hours ago, ZXT said:

Pushing a Ford? Falling right into the stereotype! Surely you took some pictures? That would be great to see. I've used my GT-14 to pull my Camaro and Porsche 928 before.. Traction was the main issue. Plenty of power.

The car is mid-resto mod and the transmission is sitting next to my work bench.

My truck blew out either the rear main, or more likely (because it is older) the oil pan gasket. I also need an oil pump because my pressure at idle is getting down too low. My trans, which has unknown miles is also starting to get rough shifting and so I want to re-synchro it and put lower gears from a different version of the trans in since I have over-sized tires. So I needed the space. The engine in the Mustang runs fine, carb needs some fine tuning, but it runs well. In fact of the 5 Fords on my property that is the only one that can't move around on it's own.

Traction turned into my issue too. Right as I was about to get the car to the crest of the slope at my garage I just a patch of bark near my wood pile and lost traction. 

• Like 2

rjg854

Over the past few weeks, I've been working on a 48" dozer blade that I recently purchased. It was pretty rough and rusty. I took it off it's long frame and swapped it for the dozer blade that is on my short frame Commando 8. I put the 42" dozer blade that was on that on the long frame and was able to sell it for a bit more than what I paid for it. That just about covered the cost of a new scraper bar. I wire brushed and ground it down to get the rust off it and filled all the pits. I'm happy enough with how it turned out. Now it has plenty of time to cure before I need it.20190526_161304.jpg.dea40294fa2f9de26bd1795005337b94.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

ZXT

Mowed with the C-120 for the first time with its rebuilt K321. I'm conflicted whether or not I should call it a C-140 now. It mowed fine (other than needing new blades) and the engine still sounded fine afterwards so hopefully I put it together correctly. 

Here's a pic afterwards with it running. The engine doesn't match, but oh well.

IMG_3558.JPG

• Like 7

ebinmaine

Trina made up some new tie rods for her 867 yesterday.

This'll be her primary work tractor and we move some decent loads so I ordered the parts from McMaster Carr to change over to heim joints.

A very helpful and generous Redsquare member made the center sections. They're made from larger round stock. (.750?)

She painted them Rust-Oleum Apple red because the tractor will be that color next winter.

IMG_20190526_175040738.jpg.449e0a9386b177dfefec4b2072881ab3.jpg

IMG_20190526_175033097.jpg.af11151e91a3e1cf3b2fdd52623d25c1.jpg

IMG_20190526_175053844.jpg.af7d02c15a23103641a70ec329feab3e.jpg

@bellevillerod

@LengerichKA88

@Mows4three

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

adsm08
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Over the past few weeks, I've been working on a 48" dozer blade that I recently purchased. It was pretty rough and rusty. I took it off it's long frame and swapped it for the dozer blade that is on my short frame Commando 8. I put the 42" dozer blade that was on that on the long frame and was able to sell it for a bit more than what I paid for it. That just about covered the cost of a new scraper bar. I wire brushed and ground it down to get the rust off it and filled all the pits. I'm happy enough with how it turned out. Now it has plenty of time to cure before I need it.20190526_161304.jpg.dea40294fa2f9de26bd1795005337b94.jpg

Hubba hubba

Edited by adsm08

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, McGrew said:

Project creep... Anyone familiar with that?   It is when a really simple job becomes a major project.

I've learned to accept over the last few years that most of my To Do list items go this way.

Used to bug me some.... But now I embrace it.

Between being very particular about the way I do things and also having a never-ending project list ... I often begin to do something only to discover or remember that I had 1 or 68 other things to do first.

It's all good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

McGrew

Eric,  Yes, i plan for project creep, as I know me pretty well.  I learned a long time ago that if you do the job right, you don’t have to do it over...  Unfortunately, that takes time...  Danny

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Goldann520

Plugged the rear tire that had a hole in it on the bomb. Put a used tire i had on the front. Drive belt junk, idler rough, tension sping weak, need replaced. Im seeing this as a '79? Spraying and working everything rusted. Same tranny filter as a 520?

20190522_160526.jpg

ericj
2 hours ago, Goldann520 said:

Plugged the rear tire that had a hole in it on the bomb. Put a used tire i had on the front. Drive belt junk, idler rough, tension sping weak, need replaced. Im seeing this as a '79? Spraying and working everything rusted. Same tranny filter as a 520?

20190522_160526.jpg

the 16 should be the hp the K for Kohler and the S for Sunstrand. I just reread your question yeas same filter for the hydro

eric j

WHX??
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:39 PM, McGrew said:

1) I am not a body man, and 2), do not want to be!

Nor am I! Man has got to know his limitations! :lol: Looks nice tho :handgestures-thumbupright:

Goldann520
12 hours ago, ericj said:

the 16 should be the hp the K for Kohler and the S for Sunstrand. I just reread your question yeas same filter for the hydro

eric j

'79 ? Tractor data doesnt have the year serial #s

ericj
42 minutes ago, Goldann520 said:

'79 ? Tractor data doesnt have the year serial #s

sorry I don't know the serial numbers either. If I remember correctly you are working on a C161, So 79 could be correct

eric j

ebinmaine

@gwest_ca

Might be able to help out with the serial number

Goldann520

Thanks @ebinmaine, i owe you a beer.  1st pick after 5 min with 320 grit and a countertop sample. 2nd a little over an hour with 320 and 400 grit

20190529_152633.jpg

20190529_161614.jpg

• Excellent 5

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Goldann520 said:

Thanks @ebinmaine, i owe you a beer.  1st pick after 5 min with 320 grit and a countertop sample. 2nd a little over an hour with 320 and 400 grit

20190529_152633.jpg

20190529_161614.jpg

Well done!! Looks fantastic at least on my tiny little smartphone picture...

:lol:

Goldann520

Alright this getting aggravating.  Reinstalled head. Same issue. Wont stay running under half throttle. As previously stated, when first got it running, dialed carb in and it ran great for an hour or so before this happened. I do have the old fuel pump on it, the new one i bought didnt pump,  i think i have to tweek the arm on it. It ran good, so not thinking i screwed up the valve adjustment. As soon as i come off the main jet with it it quits.guess ill go through the carb again, recheck the valves, and get the new fuel pump to work. Arggguh!!!! I have noticed the oil dipstick is worn and not tight, but again it idled fine initially 

Edited by Goldann520
  • Sad 1

chip61

That's so irritating. I've had some old carbs that I had to go through several times before they would work properly. That's going to be a great machine when you get finished with it.

McGrew
14 hours ago, WHX22 said:

Nor am I! Man has got to know his limitations! :lol: Looks nice tho :handgestures-thumbupright:

WHX22, Thanks!  I think it turned out pretty good.  A long way from show quality, but a darn site better than it was,  I had to keep reminding myself this tractor is a worker...  It sure is frustrating to be a poor bodyman with a touch of OCD...  Danny

Edited by McGrew
  • Like 4

Goldann520

Well, quelled my own aggravation today on the bomb. Pulled carb and went through the low side again. Also pulled main jet and cleaned out the tiny holes in it. Put back together and idles again. Figured a piece of crap got in there. Its a cocktail shaker at idle a little bit, but can tune on that. Gave me the courage to order the drive belt, ider and spring. While waiting for them will start scraping the rust off the sheaves. Like my seat? Its the "majic carpet" what i lay on on the ground. Excuse the jd muffler, its all i have right now.

20190530_162238.jpg

20190530_162253.jpg

Edited by Goldann520
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Goldann520 said:

Figured a piece of crap got in there

Glad to see you got it running again.

I can't tell from the picture... Have you changed the fuel lines?

Goldann520
19 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Glad to see you got it running again.

I can't tell from the picture... Have you changed the fuel lines?

Ya put on a used one i had. Should go new, i know

Goldann520

@ebinmaine gotta lean on you again. 2 things, 1 does that look like the original fill tube for the trans? Dipstick missing. Gotta find one. Others fit? 2, oil fill tube is super sloppy, (loose) any easy fixes? I tried one out of a 10hp block i have here and it was a little tighter but still loose. Not to mention dipstick way too long.

20190531_162141.jpg

20190531_162319.jpg