Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Ifixoldjunk
On 9/2/2021 at 4:08 PM, squonk said:

Rehabbed 2 Delco gennys and tested them on the test stand. Need a new pulley. Think I got one stashed somewhere.

606341974_k181adone.jpg.7bee422a9477849a2aa0740280f07d8b.jpg

That's a pretty cool way to test those old starters. A cool show piece too.

Ifixoldjunk

FD186CF3-AF0D-4BF9-B37B-1F032B8A1F3F.jpeg.dadd7170d3b15bf7bb29ac4a58221f08.jpeg

B7EC63FB-B107-44B5-91B2-EF4E8D2DD7A5.jpeg.99fbb5d82aa3c6ad8cb546d6d04c0153.jpeg

I haven’t had too much time for my tractors lately, as I’m pretty much focusing all my time on my project YJ wrangler. I did however clean the underside of my 42 side discharge. I noticed my one spindle housing is a little chewed up looking, it only has 3 bolts holding it in. I’ll probably just run it until I need to put a new one in. (It’s the one farthest right)

I mostly use the deck as a back up so fixing it immediately isn’t a top priority.

I did however find a cool little NGK spark plug decal that I think looks right at home on the 310s fender.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WheelPuke

@lynnmor I was thinking it would be a good protectant. As for the underside I thought I might get it to season out in the sun with a coat of oil on it. That was my train of though there. Thanks for the correction. I get the two confused since I don’t use them a lot. 

A through bolt it will be. I wish I had thought of doing that in the first place instead of “trying to make it right”. Thanks @8ntruck

Edited by WheelPuke
  • Like 2

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

FD186CF3-AF0D-4BF9-B37B-1F032B8A1F3F.jpeg.dadd7170d3b15bf7bb29ac4a58221f08.jpeg

B7EC63FB-B107-44B5-91B2-EF4E8D2DD7A5.jpeg.99fbb5d82aa3c6ad8cb546d6d04c0153.jpeg

I noticed my one spindle housing is a little chewed up.

I have noticed on here that some members say that the acidic nature of grass eats away at the aluminum spindle housings...and some recommend painting the aluminum spindle housings to help protect and prevent this.

Have any of you guys on here painted them and have enough time on the painted housings to verify if it helps ?

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor
16 hours ago, WheelPuke said:

@lynnmor I was thinking it would be a good protectant. As for the underside I thought I might get it to season out in the sun with a coat of oil on it. That was my train of though there.

It is a good idea to use oil to prevent rust, just don't expect it to last more than a few minutes of mowing.  I clean my decks often and at the end of the season I give it a real good cleaning, followed by a coating of Fluid Film.  I use Fluid Film because it stiffens a bit and doesn't run, staining the floor.  Setting a deck out in the sun will do nothing. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Stormin
18 hours ago, WheelPuke said:

A through bolt it will be. 

May I suggest you use Loctite Nutlock on the bolt threads.

• Like 3

squonk

Finished rehabbing a shortie frame plow frame and got a little more done on the 8 Horsie. @rjg854 notice the governor parts! :banana-wrench:

IMG_20210909_125532076_HDR.jpg.a784d816968eaa5c9d79516c5fa3db73.jpg

IMG_20210909_153137445.jpg.2dd05ae329bfbf5c1d2f73f610ee313b.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977

Paint won't stay on the under side of a deck. It stays better on the spindle housings then the deck.  I have had a couple that the acid in the grass has eaten the fiange off

The ones I painted have done a lot better. With them being way over priced I think it is worth painting the spindles.  

• Like 1

WheelPuke
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

May I suggest you use Loctite Nutlock on the bolt threads.

I did use Loctite on the bolt threads. 

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Paint won't stay on the under side of a deck. It stays better on the spindle housings then the deck.  I have had a couple that the acid in the grass has eaten the fiange off

The ones I painted have done a lot better. With them being way over priced I think it is worth painting the spindles.  

Thanks @Lee1977...when I get my deck back from my buddy's weld shop I will start posting again on a thread I started here called " 48 inch SD deck restoration"

Edited by Horse Newbie

WheelPuke

I fixed my deck today where I broke it. Through bolts installed in the spindle finished cleaning it, fixed the bent left guide so that the height adjustment works completely. Gave the tractor paint some good loving, and cleaned up the plow. I’m the photo is the finished tractor and the deck after I finished repairing it hence the upside down position. 

571AE39B-7D68-4395-A4C4-7810C5B08147.jpeg

• Like 4

Oldskool

Picked up a '73 a couple days ago.  PO gave up on it.  It ended up having a stuck valve and a gummed up carb. Got it up and running today. Also managed to put all the removed sheet metal back on ( 1 running board and bracket, fenders, seat).  Still have to finish assembling the pto, a couple tubes in the front tires, neaten up the wiring a bit and patch the deck.

Screenshot_20210909-211557_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210909-211603_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210909-211612_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210909-211617_Video Player.jpg

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Picked up a '73 a couple days ago

Great worker for you there Mike. 

• Like 2

chip61
On 9/8/2021 at 6:07 PM, 8ntruck said:

Yup.  The project's that I remember most from my 40 year engineering career are the ones that had issues.  The projects that went like clockwork are not as vivid.  

You have projects that go like clockwork?? What's that like?? :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

8ntruck
2 hours ago, chip61 said:

You have projects that go like clockwork?? What's that like?? :rolleyes:

Yup.  I had two or three in my 40 years.  

What was it like?  Surprise.  Disbelief.  Kept wondering when the other shoe was going to drop.

• Haha 4

Tuneup

Today is the third day I can actually function, though feel only 90% conscious. The back lawn is at max COVID length so I hit the shed and moved the newer machines out, pumped the tires on the old 77 RD and out she came. She's a tooth loosener as the former PO bolted the seat directly to the pan but she sure can make short work of that grass. Too wet to continue so she can sit and be admired until later. The 48" SD can finally get the assembly its been wanting for the last month.

-772.jpg.8b9eee7e5c0d86543b191a1985091ae0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

@WheelPuke another detail , cut off shift boot with a razor blade , reinstall the  new one , using dielectric grease on the shift rod , makes it slide on very easy . pete

• Like 1

peter lena

@lynnmor   reading your reply on the few minutes of oil life under a mower deck , what are you using ? doing a 2 step oil spray with a thorough sun drying  using lubriplate  open gear and chain spray , will oil stain the deck black with lubrication , looks like  this  when done , no rot no build up , just a simple touch up , keeps them looking solid . while you are there you can also upgrade your  spindle lube , lucas xtra heavy duty chassis  polyurea grease , no winning  bearings and no failures , doing this for years now , just my own experience , pete 

lynnmor
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

@lynnmor   reading your reply on the few minutes of oil life under a mower deck , what are you using ?

I have been mowing several acres for many years using three sizes of Wheel Horse decks, several push mowers and a zero turn.  I've tried used motor oil, special deck coatings, undercoatings, paint and Fluid Film.  I clean most of the buildup immediately after every mowing, and clean it thoroughly and spray Fluid Film after several mowings.  I am convinced that there is no kind of product that will survive the environment under a deck for very long.  Anyone that can come up with a product that will survive and protect the steel in this environment can be a wealthy person.

• Like 3

peter lena

@lynnmor , interesting , I don't  cut fields but regularly do my lawn areas and related trimming , never had any of the coating  come off . once its sun hot , its on there , glad that you get right after it after mowing , most people would just let it go , pete 

kpinnc

Regular paint won't stick for long, but anything under there between bare metal and wet sloppy grass is a good thing. 

I've used rust inhibitive primer with decent results, but had to redo it a couple times a year. I've also used POR-15 with good results. It's hard as glass when it cures, and it lasts all season long. You have to brush it on, and I put it on spindles and everything. Haven't tried the lubriplate yet, but likely will give it a try next year.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1

Lee1977

I have used my 48" deck for 44 years was the only deck I had for 42 years mowing around two plus acres. For twelve of those years I did mine and my dads at the farm both were three and a half acres.

Doesn't matter how much you do to the deck if its used like mine the life of a Wheel Horse deck is around 40 years. I still use my 48" deck, the deck shell is paper thin in spots and the deck lift and attachment hard wear

I worn sound like a trashing machine and it's not the bearings making the noise. The only area that is close to level is my drive way and I goes into the basement and it's not paved.

The best you can do to the aluminum spindle housings is prime and and paint it helps a lot. Oil coating the under side of deck is as good as any thing else because nothing is going to stay on long. If store out side with 

grass on top and under a deck is not going to last long. I try to blow my tractor and deck off before it's put back inside. I didn't get that done yesterday, wil get it done today.

I lucked up on a good 48" deck a friend of mine was given a 312-8 with a good solid deck. He didn't need it as he has a Bobcat zero turn. 

I found a formular for rust treatment on the internet. that said it would protect rusty metal out in the weather for three years.

4 oz. P B Blaster    When I was look for itI could only find it in a gallons or spray cans, have seen it in quarts a Walmarts since. The gallon came with a 16 oz.hand pump spray can.

12 oz. Transmission Fluid    Any  brand. It has as much rust preventives as anything.

1/2 oz. Dawn Ultra 

I tried it on a Ford blade that has been out side for the last 20 years. Turned that old rusty surface to a smooth dark brown by just spraying it on.

The same with the rusted handle bars and engine covers on the Eddleman mower I did have to sand on the briggs covers and tank as they were in bad shape.

The handle bars I just s[rayed  and a few weeks later I washed down with gas and painted. Time will tell if it stays on. I also spray down my five ft. Bush Hog

Here is the blade I treated six months ago.

.SAM-1375.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 3

Oldskool
49 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

The best you can do to the aluminum spindle housings is prime and and paint it helps a lot. Oil coating the under side of deck is as good as any thing else because nothing is going to stay on long. If store out side with 

grass on top and under a deck is not going to last long. I try to blow my tractor and deck off before it's put back inside. 

I found a formular for rust treatment on the internet. that said it would protect rusty metal out in the weather for three years.

4 oz. P B Blaster    When I was look for itI could only find it in a gallons or spray cans, have seen it in quarts a Walmarts since. The gallon came with a 16 oz.hand pump spray can.

12 oz. Transmission Fluid    Any  brand. It has as much rust preventives as anything.

1/2 oz. Dawn Ultra 

I tried it on a Ford blade that has been out side for the last 20 years. Turned that old rusty surface to a smooth dark brown by just spraying it on.

I'm a firm believer in keeping the deck clean and spraying the underside with PB blaster or WD-40. I've used old engine oil with a bit or gas mixed in and painted on with a cheap paint brush. Over time paint peels off. Undercoating or bed liner cracks and holds moisture. The next thing you know it rusts up thru the top.

• Like 1