Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

OldWorkHorse
18 minutes ago, pullstart said:

We did that same idea with “Steve” the C-81!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Worked out pretty well, kinda what I'm going to go for I got atv tires going on the front of my project so got to get them mounted for a space reference. Small part of me believes I'll have ordered all this to put a stack on it haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jeff-C175
22 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Wonder how much more 'solid' it's going to be, probably like a hard tail Harley!

I drove around a bit this morning with the new solid mounts installed.  I have to say that I noticed NO difference in the amount of vibration.  Felt the exact same to me.

Motor doesn't rock when PTO is engaged and belt stays aligned now.

I like them... plus, they add a little 'bling' nice shiny munimula parts.

I thought I would mention this...  I thought it might be a good idea to raise the engine up one thick washer distance so I selected four washers and tried to install them between the mount and the bar.    Couldn't get the bolts started.  I could get the two fronts or the two rears but not all four.  Wellll... after futzing with it for about an hour wondering why, it seems I forgot about geometry.  Since the mounts are on an angle, adding height changes the geometry.  Of COURSE the bolts won't line up!  Duuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :roll::hide:

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
9 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

after futzing with it for about an hour wondering why, it seems I forgot about geometry

Sounds like something I would do...lol

• Like 5

sparkie333
20 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Time for some ratcheting wrenches?

I got set of these there is still many places they wont help. Good luck.

• Like 1

sparkie333
18 hours ago, KrazeyOlDave said:

Send it to me, I’ll weld it up and send it back to ya. 👍

Man I like that floor. Dang--just--Dang.

sparkie333
4 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

geometry.

I didn't even know he was still around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

sparkie333
On 1/9/2021 at 11:53 AM, KrazeyOlDave said:

Bought some stuff for my tractors,

Can see the guy with the $ --Just saying.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, sparkie333 said:

I got set of these there is still many places they wont help. Good luck.

Check out the ones I actually bought. Rare to find a place they don't work. Of course then I get out a little C4.....

• Like 1

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, Greentored said:

HUGE milestone

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here Scott but it looks like you're going to need a bigger garage / barn / workshop to put all of HER tractors in....

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Jhook

For anyone local to eastern ma/rhode island a nice 2000 315-8 just popped up on my facebook feed for a steal at 300 bucks. Looks a bit rough but all there. If anyone is interested i can point you in the direction of the ad, if its still there this weekend i may buy it myself 👍

• Like 1

Lee1977
18 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

New wheels / axle / hitch for the SL & WHN RR Caboose... The previous solid casters were starting to go...

7224192C-0A78-4D50-9260-CCEA11E13273.jpeg

Got it riding smooth and looking good!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
14 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I have to say that I noticed NO difference in the amount of vibration.  Felt the exact same to me.

Motor doesn't rock when PTO is engaged and belt stays aligned now.

The infamous Wheel Horse anti-vibration rocker plate engine mount.    One of the few design mistakes Wheel Horse made,   It did nothing but add cost to new tractors and cost to remove it from old tractors.     Oh, it may have shortened the life of the drive belts due to the constant  flexing and twisting  from the moving engine.    The good news was, it only took WH a couple years to use up the rubber mounts and go back to solid mounting.

• Like 7

Jeff-C175
15 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

shortened the life of the drive belts

I believe that it did.  I've replaced mine maybe 3-4 times in the 25 or so years I've owned the machine.  Which doesn't seem like a lot really, but one side of the belt was consistently worn which indicates mis-alignment.

What I noted before I put the side cover back on, watching the belt, the top of the belt still flops around an awful lot.  I wonder if the tension spring is 'soft'?  I notice that with a little downward pressure on the engagement handle it smooths out a LOT.  But then, the extra pressure could shorten the life of the idler pulley I guess.

• Like 1

cleat

My Ford LGT165 had mounts like that too.

I think that it was around the same time frame early 80's I think.

It also had the closed in and sound insulated side panels and hood.

Didn't really make much difference, my 520's are about the same level of sound.

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
47 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

The infamous Wheel Horse anti-vibration rocker plate engine mount.    One of the few design mistakes Wheel Horse made,   It did nothing but add cost to new tractors and cost to remove it from old tractors.     Oh, it may have shortened the life of the drive belts due to the constant  flexing and twisting  from the moving engine.    The good news was, it only took WH a couple years to use up the rubber mounts and go back to solid mounting.

Cub and Ford did it too with the same results. I'm sure others as well.

Lots of discussion through the years on the cub side of things. Fords and WH look about he same, Cubs were different but still used rubber mounts. 

Randy

• Like 1

KrazeyOlDave

Now I can light a smoke without the wind fighting me 😂

E2CC2DF2-88F6-42F4-B762-D3F059877361.jpeg

• Like 7

Flat Thunder Channel

Yesterday I repaired the bad wire connector at the regulator on my 520.  Tried out my new ratcheting crimp connector tool.  I got it for Christmas and this was my first attempt at using it.  So far I'm impressed!  One step closer to being back together!

The bandaids are required from my attempt to help the wife in the kitchen. I unboxed her new knife set and attempted to remove my fingers in the process ..... All the more reason I should stay out of the kitchen!

Thank you for the gift of you are reading this post.  It was a very nice gesture, but not required.  Your smiling face and companionship was all I really needed this year.  

IMG_20210111_121909_935.jpg

IMG_20210111_121909_936.jpg

IMG_20210111_120731_916.jpg

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

BeninCT

Heated my transaxle with electric heater for 2 hours then drained the old oil by jacking up the front and sucking the oil out of the dipstickl and fill hole with my oil vac thing.  Then went for a ride with the idea that I would listen to see if the whining noise I had been hearing was any better but phone rang and I then went for a ride with my hearing protection on and forgot to listen to the whine... it was a delightful ride tho... 

Also, @Flat Thunder Channel, thems some hard earned workin hands.  It’s pretty funny that you cut yourself opening a box in the kitchen lol (making light of it because you did). 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Flat Thunder Channel said:

The bandaids

Your triage and first aid skills appear to be a lot like mine! :ychain:

• Like 2

Lee1977
8 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I believe that it did.  I've replaced mine maybe 3-4 times in the 25 or so years I've owned the machine.  Which doesn't seem like a lot really, but one side of the belt was consistently worn which indicates mis-alignment.

What I noted before I put the side cover back on, watching the belt, the top of the belt still flops around an awful lot.  I wonder if the tension spring is 'soft'?  I notice that with a little downward pressure on the engagement handle it smooths out a LOT.  But then, the extra pressure could shorten the life of the idler pulley I guess.

I have only replaced the drive belt on my C-120 .once in 44 years.  I was replace the deck belts some time in the early 90's and decided to replace the drive belt to. I have change the deck belts at least four times. 

• Like 2

Flat Thunder Channel
11 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Your triage and first aid skills appear to be a lot like mine! :ychain:

If I was in the garage it would have been a rag/paper towel with electrical tape.  Those are some sharp knifes!  Since I was inside my first go to was new skin (basically glue with antiseptic), but it wouldn't adhere so hot.  The wheelhorse project must march on...... Time to bandaid up haha 😂

• Haha 1

Jeff-C175
8 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

once in 44 years

Says a lot for the quality of belts being sold these days!  The first belt I changed was the original and was probably 25 years old and began to crack, the next 2 or 3 only lasted about ohhhh, maybe 5 years each.  

Jeff-C175
3 minutes ago, Flat Thunder Channel said:

rag/paper towel with electrical tape

Oh yeah... right out of my playbook!  

I'm a big fan of Super Glue for emergency skin repairs.  Push the flaps of skin together and wrap tightly with a couple layers of paper towel.  Apply glue, sprinkle on some baking soda to set the glue, tear away excess paper towel.  Perform at your own risk!  Above all, thouroghly clean the wound first!  Betadine is good stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2