Tractorhead
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I believe that to be the case. Yes.

Seems to be a 406 Agri type or a 404 they both look similar

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Tractorhead said:

Seems to be a 406 Agri type or a 404 they both look similar

Can't say as I'm familiar with the different models on those. One thing that stuck right out to me like a sore thumb on this particular one is the over large size of the tires. It's a little difficult to grasp in these pictures. They must have been 35, 40 in tall.

• Like 2

Tractorhead
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Can't say as I'm familiar with the different models on those. One thing that stuck right out to me like a sore thumb on this particular one is the over large size of the tires. It's a little difficult to grasp in these pictures. They must have been 35, 40 in tall.

That‘s typically for the „Agri types“ they can also be used for harder Agriculture Work.

They added increased Portal Axles to increase the clearance more as a normal Unimog.

The selectable Diff locks on front rear and between the axles give them the ability to crawl near each terrain.

This are absolute Beasts while Working and be used also here for difficult and extreme Snow removal jobs in the Mountains

where normal snow plow trucks have no chance to do their Job because of their agility.

When all other wheeled Trucks stops, a Unimog can do it. ❤️

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

squonk
28 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I believe that to be the case. Yes.

Better yet with a snowblower! 

• Like 2

Pullstart

I may soon be the next keeper of this ‘64 GMC 7000.  It’s got a 6-71 Detroit Diesel and a 5 speed + hi-low (not twin stick though).  I have a buddy who purchased a farm and this is taking up space.  He’s got a couple 2-3 jobs that need doing and he said if I help him out on a few things I can have it.  @Achto @WHX?? not a terrible deal, huh?  @ebinmaine I might need some big rig shifting lessons, this has a throw of the shifter about as long as my wingspan!

As much as I love the sound of the Screamin’ Jimmys, I’m considering pulling the bus drivetrain for a bit more modern system.  Who knows.

74693C93-9226-4400-90F7-C4E4AA11CBCD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

Double stacked that will haul 15-20 :wh:‘s…

Correct color too!!!

:eusa-clap:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

As much as I love the sound of the Screamin’ Jimmys, I’m considering pulling the bus drivetrain for a bit more modern system

You drive that Ole BEAST a bit ....and you'll leave it right alone.  

Nothing compares to rakin' through gears in an old skool rig. 

Modern stuff is certainly easier to move.... But got no style.  

Shifting by double clutch or no clutch on a non synchronized transmission is a good skill to have. 

You'd pick it up pretty quick.  

Awesome truck!!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, SylvanLakeWH said:

Double stacked that will haul 15O-20O :wh:‘s…

:eusa-clap:

I fixed ya numbuhs for ya. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

WHX??

Might be able to haul just a little corn in that for feeding deer. :lol:

20150827_184933.jpg

• Haha 5

Pullstart
32 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

and you'll leave it right alone.

You might could be correct.  Funny, the 6-71 has as much torque as the modern Cummins… just half the horsepower!

• Like 4

PeacemakerJack

looks like a fun truck Kevin! The big question regarding the future of the current drivetrain is, “what would you use it to do?” If you plan to use it regularly on major highways, the modern drivetrain would probably be the way to go. However, if the current drivetrain is in decent to good shape and you are going to use it in a more “local” context, I’d say leave it as the General created it. Eric’s first post in this thread a couple of years ago, set the tone for the big rigs and I love post #46 with the multiple YouTube Screamin’ Jimmy’s—classic!  I can’t wait to see what you decide…:confusion-waiting:

• Like 4

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Pullstart said:

You might could be correct.  Funny, the 6-71 has as much torque as the modern Cummins… just half the horsepower!

Fella I used to work for said they're 2 kinds of diesels. 

One you drive like you own it. 

The other you drive like you stole it. 

A lot of the older 2 stroke diesel engines are the latter. 

Idle to redline, shift. Repeat. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Sad 1

WHX??

Big ? is why was it parked? Rig like that around here here a guy might be able to haul a little corn for a grower for some fall cash. 

IF it doesn't  need a ton of work and cost yer first born to license & insure it for the road. 

• Like 2

Pullstart
22 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Big ? is why was it parked? Rig like that around here here a guy might be able to haul a little corn for a grower for some fall cash. 

IF it doesn't  need a ton of work and cost yer first born to license & insure it for the road. 

He doesn’t harvest the crops suitable for using this truck.  Nobody on the farm knows vintage mechanics, or new mechanics for that matter.  They have newer, smaller equipment that does a fine job :handgestures-thumbupright:  I thought about employing it too.  I’ll talk to our farmer and see what kind of interest there would be for another truck come harvest time.

• Like 5

WHX??

Yah you would have to go knocking on grower's doors and asking. They run into a bind with a break down and have to move grain you would be their ace.  Would help $$ if you could license it as a farm truck. You got some tillable acres now maybe you can sneak under farm laws? 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

It’s got a 6-71 Detroit Diesel and a 5 speed + hi-low (not twin stick though)

A truck for a little sweat sounds like a great deal to me.:thumbs2:

There are usually 2 ways to shift with a split rear end.

1st with the rear split in low, stay in 1st and shift the rear to high, drop the rear to low as you go into 2nd, bring the rear back into high, etc.

Or run through the gears in low, shift the rear end to high & start over.

Once you get used to driving with out using the clutch to shift you may just find your self driving every standard transmission that way. At least that is the way I now drive them.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Achto
3 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Would help $$ if you could license it as a farm truck.

Not sure about Michigan licensing laws. In Wisconsin a truck of that size can be registered quarterly. Some farmers choose this option so that they don't pay registration while the truck is sitting during the off season. 

• Like 6

WHX??
2 minutes ago, Achto said:

1st with the rear split in low, stay in 1st and shift the rear to high, drop the rear to low as you go into 2nd, bring the rear back into high, etc.

That's the way I used to do it on the farm. Late model rigs tho.  All depended abit if one was loaded or empty. 

• Like 1

WHX??
1 minute ago, Achto said:

this option so that they don't pay registration while the truck is sitting during the off season. 

Yah poor tax free farmers getting paid not to plant ..... :lol:

• Haha 2

WHX??

Fits right here with vintage fer sure! :handgestures-thumbupright: @Shynon @prondzy

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

prondzy
2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Fits right here with vintage fer sure! :handgestures-thumbupright: @Shynon @prondzy

That thing was awesome,  really rolling coals there!

• Like 5