Goldann520

96 hood decal mystery

Goldann520

No its factory silver and I went with the origial stripe kit for it and glad I did. Also factory column shift with 60/40 bench seat. Super rare!

Newbie, the red one that your talking about is in front of my seat in the middle of the seat pan. Dont know where the gold one goes, dont see it anywhere. Thanks 

Horse Newbie

Goldann520,

How long have you had your 520 h ?

Goldann520

A week exactly. Whenever I get involved in something I like to do research and be educated. This forum has taught me a ton!

• Like 3

Horse Newbie

Are you planning on restoring your 520h ?

Goldann520

Yes because like I said previously, it's a 400 series john deere and a rough one is $1000. I can get this one back decent for less than than that. Maybe with a tiller I  found. 20 horse onan nice.

Horse Newbie

Is it running? The 520h' s have carb problems. Well really I guess I should say the Onan 20 hp. You should check out Mustie1 or 01 on YouTube and search his videos on the Wheel Horse 520h. He done a series of vids where he restored one.

Goldann520

Guy I got it off of took it in trade and had Sat 4 years. Sprayed starting fluid in it to run and moved it forward and backwards while nails on a chalkboard would be better for me. C ant stand that ****, burns too hot! Anyway got home cleaned the mold off it ( after photos) found fuel pump doesn't work. Pto clutch was bolted to drive sheave?????? Was told throws deck belt, was on snowblower sheeve  ( really?) Anyway im no virgin to this stuff but I'd like to have the power to go around  and revoke lawn and garden licenses,  you know what I  mean.

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

Yeah, I got a 94, Leaf vacuuming trailer set-up, and a 36 inch tiller last year. Started and ran, carb was searching( pretty common I hear for the Onan 20hp). I can work on stuff,but I ain't a mechanic. I'll try to post pics. She ain't pretty but I figure no use shining her up till I can take care of some mechanical issues.

1105161209.jpg

• Like 1

Goldann520

Hey newbie, your starting out a lot nicer than I! I am a mechanic so got you there, but look at my tractor and yours, big difference! I'll get her there, though, guaranteed, this ain't my first rodeo!

Horse Newbie

This is all I've been able to do so far...cleaning and researching...

1111161159.jpg

1106161518.jpg

• Like 3

Goldann520

I like! Digging in like a pro! Just remember something makes something else work. It's not rocket science. Just common sense. I'm self taught from 17 building Chevy c/10 trucks  (69-72) this stuff child's play 

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Have no doubt I can put it back together... Just carbs and valves and such don't know much about. Most people on here are from up north. You're the first one I've found that lives closer than 100 or so miles . I

was hoping I could become friends with someone and do some horse trading or bartering. The last thing I wanted to do was carry it to a shop.

Goldann520

Where you at? I'm in Charlotte.  Screw the north. 30 years up there on the New York /Canada border. Had a gutfull of that! Milking cows, oh hell no!

• Haha 1

Goldann520

No offence to you NORTHERN boys, my calling was in a warmer climate. 40 below no bueno! 

Horse Newbie

Ain't got no problem with people from up north. I'm in Monroe...about 25 miles east of Charlotte.

Goldann520

Me neither, I just hate the cold. Anyway, I'm not far away at all! Late tonight but get back to me and maybe we can work something out. We're only half hour away. I'm here, ain't going anywhere. 

Remember peoples, I'm a Yankee myself

Vinylguy
8 hours ago, Goldann520 said:

No its factory silver and I went with the origial stripe kit for it and glad I did. Also factory column shift with 60/40 bench seat. Super rare!

Newbie, the red one that your talking about is in front of my seat in the middle of the seat pan. Dont know where the gold one goes, dont see it anywhere. Thanks 

The Gold one is just an extra. I thought they were suppose to be gold like the hood decals back when I first replicated the Anniversary graphics.

• Like 3

Goldann520

Thank you, vinylguy

• Like 1

rmaynard

The hood stand is definitely Anniversary Series. I'm thinking that the hood/fender pan may have been replaced for some reason. Does the ID sticker match up?

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

@ACman, @elcamino/wheelhorse, Ok here's a few pics of some of my past rides, the '69 C10 350 with car 4 spd, a '66 Impala 400 SBC with 4 spd, my very first vehicle '76 LUV with factory California stepside edition, and my first S10 '82 long bed with 90s paint, and my first brand vehicle '95 S10 along with the 'BU and the LUV after I stuffed a 305 SBC in it, (relatives and ex for models lol) Jeff.

IMAG3867.jpg

IMAG3869.jpg

IMAG3868.jpg

IMAG3870~2.jpg

IMAG3871.jpg

IMAG3872.jpg

IMAG3873.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Goldann520

Yes rmaynard, earlier in the thread I explained model#73502 serial# 6901460 on the pan and I'm sure it's original. This thing kinda got a life of its own.

TDF5G

Welcome to the forum.   You should be able find out anything you need to know about :wh: right here!  Great group of people IMO.

I'm not expert on the Anniversary models. My Dad has a 1996 314-8 he purchased new and it has gold lettering on the hood decals, gold emblem on front of hood and wheel covers, but I don't recall about the fender pan.  Does your fender pan have red or gold lettering?  I can't tell in your photo.

You've got a great looking project there, have fun with it!  It'll last a lifetime if kept well maintained!

I knew your Monte Carlo was a '72 by the color.  I remember that color when it came out back then.  I really like it, always have.  I don't recall the name of it?

Goldann520

Thanks tdf5g, seat pan has red lettering also with model and serial#s checking out to 96 on decal that I'm sure is original. As for the color, it is Mohave gold.

• Like 1

ACman

There’s something about :rs:that just draws in good people with common interests :) and yes we do get sidetracked easily by other cool stuff. Besides the green tractors (my grandpa and dad owned a Chalmers dealership) I grew up on a dairy farm in the mitten state. I’m with you with the cold weather. Southbound soon I hope as it really affects my body (I was paralyzed 7yrs ago) . My 520 sat outside for years too. Here’s a before and after. After working on your WH you’ll wonder what the heck JD engineers were thinking . It just seems :wh:WH made things simpler in design. 

E4FB4329-4DF5-4C0C-838E-B63A187A2248.jpeg.f5f1ba8aa30c4cfcf234ea677adb0672.jpegFDB1CED3-CCC8-4484-9988-2603950347F6.jpeg.10290a16888f58bcd855d9ee41e5ca0d.jpeg

@Vinylguy made me a set of costume graphics. Mines a 95 so I wanted to pay homage to the 1965 Wheel-a-Mattics as Wheel Horse was the first to build a hydro tractor in 1965 .

1F00EEC1-1469-4D87-9270-ECF86CCB5A00.jpeg.6753596f7d94328af9e962233c34a86e.jpeg

Edited by ACman
  • Like 3

Goldann520

Your right, tractors in similar condition in the beginning. Your seat is better though. This wheel horse is definitely simpler than the greens by far.get underneath one of those and it's like a nuclear engineer figured out how to stuff all that under there. But the one thing I will say is there is no comparison in frame strength.  You can hang whatever you want off the front and go. Snowblower, blade, etc on a green. Just sayin