BOB ELLISON

701 or 702

BOB ELLISON

I have a opportunity to but a basket case that I don't know what it is. 

All my research tells me it's a 701 or 702. It has all the parts but no id tags.

Common with older horse's. But I did get some pictures. I believe he said it was a 7hp kohler and 3 speed trans. He's not sure if the seat is correct but it has little half finders. I need to know if it's worth it to me has plow,deck is rough. 

My concern is he also has a 1054 with a great looking deck that is also a basket case that I'm buying tomorrow and it has a 12hp kohler and a hydrolic pump . I know its not the 10 hp. I don't mind the 12hp it has the starter/generator so It will look ok. Just not stock for 1054. I hope someone can identify it through the pictures.

20170124_180525.jpg

20170124_180509.jpg

20170124_180417.jpg

20170124_181133.jpg

20170124_181145.jpg

• Like 1

kthack657

not a 701 although it looks to have a 701 gas can.  The 701 has a solid grill with no slats, like the nut roasters, other indicators would be the 701 has a double belt guard and a double pully on the starter generator and engine.  The Seatpan is also square, and could be red or white, the one in the picture is from an early 60's tractor.  Good luck with whatever it is :) but looks like a mutt

Edited by kthack657
  • Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor
2 minutes ago, kthack657 said:

not a 701, the 701 has a solid grill with no slats, like the nut roasters, other indicators would be the 701 has a double belt guard and a double pully on the starter generator and engine.  The Seatpan is also square, and could be red or white, the one in the picture is from an earlier tractor.  Good luck with whatever it is :)

Just a possibility here, but the hood could've been changed over at some point to the newer style. I have a 701 I'm putting back together that has the later style hood on it. But I agree the seat is from an earlier tractor

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
50 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I have a opportunity to but a basket case that I don't know what it is. 

All my research tells me it's a 701 or 702. It has all the parts but no id tags.

Common with older horse's. But I did get some pictures. I believe he said it was a 7hp kohler and 3 speed trans. He's not sure if the seat is correct but it has little half finders. I need to know if it's worth it to me has plow,deck is rough. 

My concern is he also has a 1054 with a great looking deck that is also a basket case that I'm buying tomorrow and it has a 12hp kohler and a hydrolic pump . I know its not the 10 hp. I don't mind the 12hp it has the starter/generator so It will look ok. Just not stock for 1054. I hope someone can identify it through the pictures.

20170124_180525.jpg

20170124_180509.jpg

20170124_180417.jpg

20170124_181133.jpg

20170124_181145.jpg

looking where lift handle goes and the tank its a 753 or something else more pics would be easier to id

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

This is what I got from a post here from

@953 nut he has a post about the changes throughout the year's of wheel horse's. 

All models remained the same from 1961 to 1962 with all having the front mounted engine. The models were called the 502, 552, and the 702 the hood was a major appearance change. In 1961 they had an aluminum gas tank and a unique hood shape with a slotted grill

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
1 minute ago, BOB ELLISON said:

This is what I got from a post here from

@953 nut he has a post about the changes throughout the year's of wheel horse's. 

All models remained the same from 1961 to 1962 with all having the front mounted engine. The models were called the 502, 552, and the 702 the hood was a major appearance change. In 1961 they had an aluminum gas tank and a unique hood shape with a slotted grill

well looking at the lift handle area in 63 they started bolting in. and that gas tank is a 2 peice tank which came out in late 62 early 63. need more pics to be able to id. front axle changed in 63. so did frame in front

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
Just now, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

well looking at the lift handle area in 63 they started bolting in. and that gas tank is a 2 peice tank which came out in late 62 early 63. need more pics to be able to id. front axle changed in 63. so did frame in front

Sorry craftsmanmowerfreak but that's all I could get . He had all the parts under a bench in his basement. 

1 minute ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Sorry craftsmanmowerfreak but that's all I could get . He had all the parts under a bench in his basement. 

Actually it is a 1 piece tank the red was not cleaned off before he painted the primer on it

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
3 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

ok but if he dont want much for it go get it. i am loving my 701. and we got a 753 i am working on here and there too

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

He wants $200.00 for it with plow and deck and all the parts are there for the tractor. But he's not sure if engine runs but he said it turns over. That's the scary part.

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
13 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

He wants $200.00 for it with plow and deck and all the parts are there for the tractor. But he's not sure if engine runs but he said it turns over. That's the scary part.

200 is fair price. heck the hoods alone can go up to 100 bucks so do the plows and decks 100 each depending condition. check engine for compression if it has compression it will run. if the crank free spins with no resistance then its blown up. still  good buy either way

• Like 4

Chris G

I see the front axle in the second pic. That appears to be a 702 axle. The tanks on my 702's are like the photos below. The face plate that holds amp gauge, choke cable and throttle cable is a separate piece that screws on. And the hood tower appears to be a 63 to me. The hood definitely looks like a 702. Also if that's the gas tank sticking up in front of the hood on the first picture with the divets in it. I would say that would probably be a two piece like a 63 tanks. But hope this helps and I would say 200 is definitely worth the parts. So I'd go for it even if it's a mix and match. Extra parts on hand is always good for a horse trade or future projects!!!

IMG_20160712_095223073.jpg

IMG_20160715_110041634.jpg

Edited by Chris G
  • Like 3

Elkskin's mower junkyard
5 minutes ago, Chris G said:

I see the front axle in the second pic. That appears to be a 702 axle. The tanks on my 702's are like the photos below. The face plate that holds amp gauge, choke cable and throttle cable is a separate piece that screws on. And the hood tower appears to be a 63 to me. The hood definitely looks like a 702. Also if that's the gas tank sticking up in front of the hood on the first picture with the divets in it. I would say that would probably be a two piece like a 63 tanks. But hope this helps and I would say 200 is definitely worth the parts. So I'd go for it even if it's a mix and match. Extra parts on hand is always good for a horse trade or future projects!!!

IMG_20160712_095223073.jpg

IMG_20160715_110041634.jpg

hoods are same for 62 and 63. in 64 they were longer for the 854

• Like 2

Aldon
1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

the parts alone are worth exponentially more than asking price abeit pabkage deal.

I see meny of these questions whch should be non-questions. 

200dollars. Anything beyond a few parts is gravy or icing o the cake. Either buy it or let the forum know where to do so.

• Like 3

BOB ELLISON

What about the seat? I don't think it is for this year. I only inquired because I'm buying the 1054 and it in peaces also. Guys I'm 68 years young and my C160  was a lot of work. A work of love but work non  the less.

Here is a pic of the basket case 1054

00I0I_foOvE6tQAF5_1200x900.jpg

• Like 3

Elkskin's mower junkyard
Just now, BOB ELLISON said:

What about the seat? I don't think it is for this year. I only inquired because I'm buying the 1054 and it in peaces also. Guys I'm 68 years young and my C160  was a lot of work. A work of love but work non  the less.

Here is a pic of the basket case 1054

00I0I_foOvE6tQAF5_1200x900.jpg

yes they are alot of work. but take it slow. heck i am 26 years old. alot of people look at me and call me lazy. but they do not know the medical issues i have. heck it took me 3 days to do wiring on one tractor because of my back but i got it done. i do little here little there because if i push myself to hard my back hurts alot shoots pain down one leg and i fall down and risk injury. we got ummm 20 machines in yard only one of them had a full repaint done to it. and it starts everytime i need it. soon more machines will be done. but it takes time i was just lucky that machine i did was in real nice shape didnt need much work at all body wise.

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
15 minutes ago, Aldon said:

the parts alone are worth exponentially more than asking price abeit pabkage deal.

I see meny of these questions whch should be non-questions. 

200dollars. Anything beyond a few parts is gravy or icing o the cake. Either buy it or let the forum know where to do so.

Aldon 

I was thinking more on the year then the money. And yes I would post it if I didn't get it. This 702 ? Was never Advertised he mentioned he had another tractor in his basement and if I wanted it he would give me a package deal. I'll probably go and get it also. I'm a sucker

for wheel horse's.

• Like 4

953 nut
7 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I'm a sucker

for wheel horse's

You are probably the only person on the site that can say that!     :ychain:

7 hours ago, Aldon said:

buy it

We are all so eager to spend your money, but if you did't want to you probably wouldn't have posted it.

:text-coolphotos:    The 1054 isn't a basket case, they just did some of the disassembly work for you. Looks like the fenders are straight and solid and having a 12 horse isn't a big deal;  I like it.

• Like 3

BOB ELLISON

Well guys @craftsmanmowerfreak , @kthack657and @Chris G here is some more pictures that I took today. Sorry some are a little blurred. Looking at the engine i don't know what hp it is. 3 lug  hubs . Need help .

20170125_173910.jpg

20170125_173529.jpg

20170125_173456.jpg

20170125_173842.jpg

20170125_173836.jpg

20170125_173800.jpg

Elkskin's mower junkyard

in 64 they had 5 lug hubs. unless someone put them on dads 754 lol. but looking at it may very well be a 753 need front axle shot to be sure

engine tells me its a 62 and after setup. is it a k161 or k181. should be a k161 

clueless

701, 702, 753. it doesn't matter, parts are worth more than that. What matters is it does not deserve the fate that has been bestowed upon it, go get it!!

Chris, saving one horse at a time.

Chris G

Well the rearend is correct to a 702 by the looks and as long as the Kohler is a k161. I would say that was probably 702 as well. Either way well worth saving and worth the asking price. But looks to be mainly 702 parts with a couple 63 parts in there. 

Chris G

Here's a pic from manual for 633,653 and 753. I'm pretty sure hood tower and fuel tank is from a 63. And here's a pic of the bottom of a two piece tank.

753iplframe.jpg

2012-05-09_19-03-31_376.jpg

BOB ELLISON

Well guys @craftsmanmowerfreak , @kthack657and @Chris G I want to thank  you all for the fine work on this almost project,

After further review I decided not to purchase the 702 ? -   753 ? because it has no tires only the rims. but I did get the 1054

and almost all the parts, that's going to be my next post.

( BUT IF ANYONE WANTS THIS FOR PARTS I WILL HELP WHOEVER AND CONTACT HIM )

HE LIVES IN  ZIP CODE 48117  PM ME FOR INFO.

to  buy for the $200.00 .

it comes with

2 front rims

4 rear rims

deck very ruff

plow is ruff

hood

frame

tank

tower

seat

front axle

engine

3 speed transmission

it is suppose to be complete minus the tires.

kthack657

congrats on the 1054, we have one of those, and they are not that fun to work on due to having a "unibody" it seems that you have to remove the transmission to do any work, but if it is in good condition they are fun :)