VinsRJ

Wheel Horse 857 Project

wallfish

I think you'll really like that 857. A much nicer ride than the old RJs and suburbans have. They're small but powerful and steer real nice and sharp. Not to mention they still have that old school look to them.

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:handgestures-thumbsup: Looks, and sounds like a fun project Vin...will tune in.   :popcorn:

• Like 1

T-Mo

I always loved your videos.  And these two are up to par.  Fantastic.  Keep 'em coming.

857 horse

I am excited Vin.............i wanna keep in the loop..................good luck.....good taste,,,Good Job !!!!!!

My Boys 3 0f 5 003.JPG

• Like 4

RedHorse54

You're going to put a set of HL-5s on it?

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Vinny nice job on the finds. I think you will be very happy with the 857 the one I hade was  a great worker.  Hope fully you can find a mag for the b -60.Nice little engine. There is one in Vt. To far for me I think it is Brandon VT.

• Like 2

Ken B

Very cool Vin. I had a few similar tractors a few yrs. ago that I was going to do a lot of custom things to. However, I was never able to get motivated on it. Now, (thanks to you) I'm also looking for another one. Here is the one I had, the only thing I did was pop some tires and rims on it to see how I liked the look. I'm not responsible for the headlights. I regret letting it go, it ran and shifted like new! I always liked the short stocky look of these tractors.... Then there was the 657 I had with the 6hp Kohler... I hauled firewood with it one winter, I left it outside under a cover and no matter how cold it was it would fire right up with just one pull.

DSCN2445_zps2d69beea.jpg

IMG_1453_zpsfb032354.jpg

• Like 5

VinsRJ
On 11/6/2016 at 9:00 PM, T-Mo said:

I always loved your videos.  And these two are up to par.  Fantastic.  Keep 'em coming.

Thank you!

15 hours ago, Ken B said:

Very cool Vin. I had a few similar tractors a few yrs. ago that I was going to do a lot of custom things to. However, I was never able to get motivated on it. Now, (thanks to you) I'm also looking for another one. Here is the one I had, the only thing I did was pop some tires and rims on it to see how I liked the look. I'm not responsible for the headlights. I regret letting it go, it ran and shifted like new! I always liked the short stocky look of these tractors.... Then there was the 657 I had with the 6hp Kohler... I hauled firewood with it one winter, I left it outside under a cover and no matter how cold it was it would fire right up with just one pull.

DSCN2445_zps2d69beea.jpg

IMG_1453_zpsfb032354.jpg

Ken, I never thought I would really have an interest in one of these tractors but this one has sparked a new flame for a project.

My daughter came up with the project/code name: The Little Mule

Let's build away, LOL!

On 11/6/2016 at 9:33 PM, RedHorse54 said:

You're going to put a set of HL-5s on it?

Not thinking HL-5s only due to cost, I pulled out an old vintage set of chrome bug eye fog lights which I'm thinking of mounting kind of like the 60 Suburban.... I don't know? But nothing drilled into the hood, that's for sure.

Edited by VinsRJ

Terry M

I've watched your videos on you tube before and have to say,..... very well done and always a pleasure to watch!:)

• Like 1

VinsRJ

Thank you to all for their nice comments!

Well I learned tonight that there is no easy way to shoe horn in the M10 into this tractor. I'll be honest (not a lot of experience with big block Kohlers) I didn't expect the Magnum 10 to be as physically large as it is... its way to big for the 857. I am not willing to do major surgery in order to get it there... like notch the frame or cut the hood up. So, the original K181 will be the power plant with a full custom exhaust and a GT14 intake/filter on it.

More to come!

Shynon

I think you could use a K241 from a 1045,1055 or 1075. Actually you could use put a k341 under the hood if you use a narrow base engine block with a flat bottom cast iron oil pan, as used on the 1045,55 and 75 Wheel Horse models. Will need to plug the oil drain hole in the bottom and drill and tap one of the bosses on the appropriate end of the pan. 

s-l1600.jpg

VinsRJ
20 hours ago, Shynon said:

I think you could use a K241 from a 1045,1055 or 1075. Actually you could use put a k341 under the hood if you use a narrow base engine block with a flat bottom cast iron oil pan, as used on the 1045,55 and 75 Wheel Horse models. Will need to plug the oil drain hole in the bottom and drill and tap one of the bosses on the appropriate end of the pan. 

s-l1600.jpg

Now that is a plan, I need to find one of those oil pans...

VinsRJ
21 hours ago, Shynon said:

s-l1600.jpg

Now that is a plan, I need to find one of those oil pans...

Well after a little moc-up it does look like I will be able to get the clearance I need to not cut the frame or hood. It does look as if I will need to modify the M10 blower cover a touch and relocate the battery to under the frame but that is nothing big in my mind... I believe it will still have the 857 look with the big block motor.

• Like 2

wallfish

Hey Vin,

How about something like this? Got this engine quite a while ago and never used it (yet). The S/G may allow you to keep the battery in the same spot, curved top so it may fit under the hood and still has that old school look.

Trade?

10.jpg

10 a.jpg

Edited by wallfish

Shynon
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 7:21 PM, VinsRJ said:

As many of you know I am basically an RJ guy and do not really deviate from original, yes I like to build clones but the clones are as they would have come off the factory line. The last couple RJ projects have pushed me into building something else. As I really do not have a worker tractor in the family I thought it was time to build one. So I turned to my brother and as usual he found the perfect "must have tractor"... what did he find? A 1967 857. At first glance it was a pretty solid tractor with minimal rust, ran strong with no smoke and most of the original parts were intact. Even with that it did have one major issue... third gear was gone... I mean a real grind fest! With that it started the wheel rolling in my head. I had a lead on a "free" B-60 with an 8-Speed but a tired motor, a perfect swap in my mind... and that's exactly the direction I'm going, blending the best attributes of the 857 with the B-60... I want it to still look like a 857 at first glance but as you look closer you start to see things like the 8-Speed, wider front rims and the seat spring system.

There is even the thought process of adding a set of vintage lights and upping the HP to a Kohler Magnum 10...

As usual the entire build will be up step by step on my YouTube channel so please take a look and comment... suggestions are always welcome...

vlcsnap-2016-11-06-20h00m32s109.png

Not sure if you are planning on using the starter on the Magnum or if you are going to use a starter/generator. If you want the real look, the 241 will need a smaller bearing plate and shroud, different starter generator mounting brackets. Then the battery would fit just like a 1045. The motor @wallfish has may work if it has the smaller bearing plate and shroud. Otherwise as you have stated the battery would need to be moved. 

IMG_5712.JPG

VinsRJ
21 hours ago, wallfish said:

Hey Vin,

How about something like this? Got this engine quite a while ago and never used it (yet). The S/G may allow you to keep the battery in the same spot, curved top so it may fit under the hood and still has that old school look.

Trade?

10.jpg

10 a.jpg

Thank you for the offer John! But I do like how the Magnum has the larger blower cover and fly wheel... I'm going to keep working on the Magnum for a little while to see how it will physically work out. I have a little more fitment I want to look at.

VinsRJ

Spent the day fiddling around on the 875, got everything to be basically settled in. Its a tight fit. I did pick up one of those 1045 style oil pans mentioned above but it will not work on the Magnum 10, may be just this particular M10 but it will not work. I'll have a YouTube vid coming out on Thanksgiving to explain...

So to make it work I'm going to bring the original Magnum 10 oil pan to my buddy's machine shop and throw it on the Bridgeport, I'll mill the top of the oil pan down, that will shorten the over all height of the motor and then it will slide in with the hood to close without issue.

In the pic it fits but the spark plug is not in the head, its that close to fitting, LOL!

20161119_195020.jpg

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Have you tried finding a shorter plug to help make it fit Vin.  :dunno:

Shynon
10 hours ago, VinsRJ said:

I'll mill the top of the oil pan down, that will shorten the over all height of the motor and then it will slide in with the hood to close without issue.

sounds like you have a wide base block if the oil pan will not fit. Sounds like you have a plan, make sure you shorten the dipper on the connecting rod. Interested to see the shorter oil pan.

VinsRJ
12 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Have you tried finding a shorter plug to help make it fit Vin.  :dunno:

Whats up Craig, the plug wasn't the issue... wish it was... :(

2 hours ago, Shynon said:

sounds like you have a wide base block if the oil pan will not fit. Sounds like you have a plan, make sure you shorten the dipper on the connecting rod. Interested to see the shorter oil pan.

The M10 came off of a 310-8 and I believe you are on point with the wide base.

Edited by VinsRJ

Ken B

That would explain why I have seen these style tractors cruisin the Big Show with hood scoops on them...:scratchead:

VinsRJ
15 hours ago, Ken B said:

That would explain why I have seen these style tractors cruisin the Big Show with hood scoops on them...:scratchead:

That may be the case Ken, but not an option for me... :angry-nono: