T-Mo

2016 Blunier Plow Day Oct. 28-29, Roanoke, Il

dtallon

Looking forward to seeing you and other folks there too.  3/4" of rain yesterday, but some sun and wind today and tomorrow will hopefully dry things out most of the way.  

A big trailer like that would be nice.  I can fit the 854 and C160 both on my little 5'x8' trailer, but I'm getting a 6'x12' from u-haul this year so I can bring a couple more horses out to play.  

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-goodpost::text-yeahthat:

l can't wait to check them out!  Planning to leave work early today to start loading up!  :woohoo: can't believe it is almost here.  They got .5" of rain there yesterday which isn't great but it is supposed to be windy today and clear through PD.  Conditions should be decent and the weather looks really mild for the time of year!  We are planning to go the JD pavilion on the way down in Moline and then the CAT museum in Peoria on Friday before night plowing...

PeacemakerJack

Well--we made it to Bluniers last night at about 4:45pm!  

image.jpeg

We immediately unloaded the tractors...

image.jpeg

and then got to work!

image.jpeg

Conditions weren't perfect (a little sticky from the .5" rain on Wednesday) but still really good.  The temps were perfect at about 60 degrees.  So we plowed for two hours, then stopped for an awesome chili dinner (thank you Blunier family) then we went back out for another hour or so!

image.jpeg

Caleb (my son) was the last guy in the field until I lured him off the seat with the temptation of food!

• Like 5

PeacemakerJack

Great day today plowing at Bluniers!  I really enjoyed getting to officially meet Dave and his lovely wife and family!  @dtallon had a sweet collection of horses but an even sweeter family! Glad to meet you sir!

image.jpeg

I believe all the horses pictured here are his except GhostRider...

he can chime in and correct me.  I met so many people today I'm trying to keep them all straight.  It was a great day turning soil!

more lengthly post to follow...

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 4

dtallon

It was great meeting you and thank you so much for getting that picture!  The day was such a blur with all the plowing I didn't think to get one of the whole family.  All those red horses are mine, well, except the B100 which is my my older son's.  My younger son was the plowing champ of the family with 6 passes.  I only got 3, but I think I set the record for the number of passes walked as I stayed along side them as they plowed.  I am glad they enjoyed it, and I think grandma and grandpa really enjoyed watching the boys drive the tractors.  It was a great day of tractor & family fun, but as usual, not enough time to talk to everybody as much as I would have liked.  A big thanks to the Blunier family for hosting the event.

Dave

Edited by dtallon
  • Like 3

T-Mo

More pictures please, and a video if anyone has one.

PeacemakerJack

Ironically, I didn't take a whole lot of pictures today but I did snap about 25 min of video. I'll try to get a couple of videos posted to my YouTube channel as soon as I get back home.  Then I can post links here.  My tech savvy is pretty basic to almost non existent and so I have a friend of mine who I'm going to ask to help me make a video which is more organized of the material I have.  Here are a couple of pics anyway...

image.jpeg

This is Dave Schwandt's 1200 Cub--he is from Iowa and travels to a lot of plow days and tractor shows throughout the year.

image.jpeg

Look closely in this pic and you'll see all the tractors on the horizon.  They look like worker ants...

image.jpeg

They Blunier Farm--this was at about 10:00am on Saturday.

image.jpeg

Another Pic of some of the Tallon family!image.jpeg

There were a variety of tractors plowing, although it was Cub and JD heavy.  One of the most intriguing tractors there was a late '60's Panzer!  I have a video of that I'll be posting soon!

• Like 4

stevasaurus

I really like the Panzers...I can see it in the above picture.  :)

• Like 1

T-Mo

T-Mo

This is a buddy of mine, Mike Gault from St. Peters, Mo.  He was at our plow day today in Treloar, Mo.

mike gault.jpeg

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

That's cool @T-Mo I hope you guys had a great day plowing there as well.  Here is, as promised, my first "teaser" video from Bluniers.  It as a variety of different tractors in it but no WH.  I have one epic WH video of @dtallon 's son that I'll share soon.  I tried to push the envelope with some different camera angles and shots. Please feel free to comment on my YouTube channel and please send links out through social media. These plow days are a blast and I'd like to see more folks get involved.  

@Rp.wh plowed with us one time and was hooked.  He bought a GT that he can now, blow, or plow with!  The big gentleman in the Blue shirt on the CC 73 (in the end of the above video) attended this event years ago just to "check it out".  He was given seat time by another "plow dog" and decided this was for him.  The next year he fully restored that cub while adding AG's and lift system and now is out there plowing!  

Plowing isnt for everyone but it sure is fun to those who enjoy it.  My cousin Russell is the first one in the video on the CC 100.  My cousin Mike's son Connor is on the orange Case.  I can't help but smile everytime that I see that old guy and his panzer plowing!!! Towards the end is a husband and wife Team on a pair of JD's (a 330 and a 140!) I can't wait to tell you about the Screwy Louie tractor and meeting the owner!  He is a great guy with a rich WH history!  My first childhood tractor was the 875 Iron horse as many of you know, his was an 876! Small world!

• Like 2

T-Mo

@PeacemakerJack Mike said he remembers you and Ghost Rider.  Rick Bischoff and his dad where there also, plus they were at Treloar.  Rick was on a JD 400 and his dad was on a red CC 782D.  Rick tries to make the plowing rounds when he can.  I remember in October 2012 he was at a plow day event every weekend that month.  From Alabama to Wisconsin, to Treloar, to one in Ohio, I think.  Mike told me that Rick sold his home made 2 bottom plow at Bluniers.

PeacemakerJack

Guys, here is my favorite video that I took this weekend.  It is a super cool tractor and plow rig for sure but what I like even better is that mom and dad Tallon are walking the field with their oldest (I believe--help Dave) son as he turns earth.  He is doing a very good job.  Please forgive the shakiness as I was driving toward him, stopping, changing directions, following him, changing gears, and then passing him.  I'm just trying to create more cool camera angles for this.  Moderators--if there is a better high traffic area on RS to place this please add it there.  I think the subject matter is noteworthy...

• Like 4

Rp.wh

I have enjoyed all of your picture! Was very neat to see. :handgestures-thumbupright: yes your French silk pie did make me jealous! Thanks for taking all of us along for the ride also nice video the ride behind and up was neat. Jim and I are more then likely to come next year make that field alittle more red, also Jim bought 2 plows this weekend which you'll see on the plow day from his place, can wait until next year will be a awesome time!:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
6 minutes ago, Rp.wh said:

Jim and I are more then likely to come next year make that field alittle more red, also Jim bought 2 plows this weekend which you'll see on the plow day from his place, can wait until next year will be a awesome time!:greetings-clappingyellow:

:text-yeahthat:. That will be awesome Ryan, and if we can get Steve there...

• Like 1

Rp.wh
Just now, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-yeahthat:. That will be awesome Ryan, and if we can get Steve there...

That would be awesome! 

• Like 1

Shynon

I am gonna try to make it to this one next year, bring  The Machine

IMG_6032.JPG

• Like 6

PeacemakerJack
4 hours ago, Shynon said:

I am gonna try to make it to this one next year, bring  The Machine

The unfortunate thing @Shynon is that Bluniers PD is every other year.  They have that field on a crop rotation (corn, soybeans, corn, soybeans, etc).  When it is beans, they host a plow day, when it is corn, they don't.  The next plow day at Bluniers won't be until 2018.  However, my uncle Roger is planning to host a plow day at his farm near Omro, WI next fall.  We hosted a small plow day in 2015 but we are planning to have a bigger one next provided the "plow dogs" come in...

image.jpeg

This was our group in 2015. It appears that you are only about 4.5 hours away from us.  We'd love to have you bring "the Machine" over. That thing looks sweet!  

• Like 2

Shynon
2 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

We'd love to have you bring "the Machine" over. That thing looks sweet!  

Keep me posted

• Like 1

dtallon

I finally got a chance to check out our pics from Saturday.  

First I'll return the favor and post one of Josh and Ghostrider since he got some good ones of us.  We need to get him a better hat :D

plowday16_01.jpg

Our first pass of the day was with the C-160.  Even with my younger son's 45ish pounds in the seat it pulled the 10" well.  He let me have a turn on the way back, although he didn't last long sitting on my lap.  After getting a taste of driving by himself, riding with me kind of lost it's appeal.  

plowday16_02.jpg

plowday16_03.jpg

Things went pretty smoothly most of the day, but did get stuck in a traffic jam when a tractor ahead of us ran out of gas.  It was OK because it gave us time to check out the white Case and the Panzer.  The Cases, this white one and an orange one just like it, seemed be some of the best plowing tractors there.  They just hooked up and plowed and didn't seem to struggle for traction when alot of the rest of us did.  I thought the Panzer was the most unique tractor there.  

plowday16_05.jpg

My favorite pass of the day was with my younger son on the B-100, and older son pulling Grandma and Grandpa on the hayrack so they could watch up-close.  A proud moment having both boys doing a good job driving tractors on either side of me.  

plowday16_04.jpg

The most nerve-wracking pass of the day... The parade lap.  You can see Josh on the side taking video of what wasn't one of our finer moments of the day. It was some of the toughest ground we plowed.  At first the tractor hooked up and my son gave it too much speed before I bumped up the throttle and he killed it.  Then we couldn't get enough traction with just him in the seat so I had to ride with him.  

plowday16_06.jpg

Even though our 10" plow came with the B100 when we got it, we just ran an 8" plow with it on Saturday.  While it's furrows weren't as impressive as the 10" plows, it's much easier to use if you just want to have some fun.  

plowday16_07.jpg

I didn't get any pictures, but I did make a round with the 854 after the parade lap.  You get some funny looks on a little tractor like that among all the bigger plow tractors, but for the most part it kept up just fine in 2nd gear with the 8" plow.  I did have to be careful which tractor I followed because some of the furrows were too deep for it.  

Like I said before, it was a great day for tractors, family and friends.  Already looking forward to 2018!

Edited by dtallon
  • Like 6

PeacemakerJack

Those two Case tractors belong to my Cousin Mike and his son Connor. The white one is the tractor that Case never actually produced.  They produced full size AG tractors in that paint scheme but never the GT's.  When Mike was restoring it, I suggested that he paint it in that fashion.  He decided to try it and has created one of the most recognizable Case GT's in the country. It has been the Tractor Forum "tractor of the month", it has won multiple stock class GT pulls, it has had a feature article on it in the LAGT mag, and is a plowing machine as Dave stated.  The attention to detail is awesome.  Anyway, we call it the White Knight in a play on the  Black knight case demonstrators of the late '60's and early 70's. Connors orange tractor is pretty much stock except the tires at this time although modifications are in its future.  

I wanted to catch up with you while you were plowing with the 854 to video but I was on the opposite side of the field yakking with someone and didn't make it over in time.  Maybe next time around we can make a video of it right in front of a JD 455 with a Cat O 12".  :auto-layrubber:. It was great to see the "young-ins" out there plowing. I'd guess that there was no less than 10 of them plowing this year at Bluniers.  They are the  future of this hobby. Sometimes it can be frustrating teaching them what to do when it seems like they aren't getting it, but it is worth it!  

• Like 1

Jim Demery
On 10/15/2016 at 6:18 AM, PeacemakerJack said:

Bluniers is only two weeks away from today!  I'm hoping that they will get some drier weather down that way and that we are fortunate enough to score a 60 degree sunny day for it.  However, if it is raining and overcast, I'm still planning on going to meet new friends and hang out with old ones!  Are any of you guys planning to attend?  I'd certainly like to meet you if you are.  For me, that is one of the really fun parts of these PD's, meeting the forum members face to face. If you've never plowed before, I'd be happy to talk you through the process and help you test and tune your rig.  If you've done lots of plowing before, we can simply meet and discuss our setups.  Just let me know who you are and what tractor/s you'll have (makes it easier to find one another!). I hope a bunch of you come out to it.  It's my sincere desire to see more :wh: guys at these PD's.  I have seen what a great job these red machines can do turning soil but many of the "other brand" guys aren't convinced! Bring them out--let's show 'em!

20170729_130035.jpg

20170729_130021.jpg

• Like 1