Rustyred

Help - C-161 and C-105 parts match? or get a C-81?

Rustyred

Hey guys. I'm looking at buying a  c-161 (pictured below) and am of course just learning about Wheel Horses. I have another guy selling the pictured C-105 (I think that's what it is) and he would let it go for $100It runs but leaks oil from a seal in the tranny.

My question is - Do these two machines share same parts? Are they of the same era? If the motor in the C-161 doesn't work would the motor from the C-105 work in it?

Your help would be much appreciated and depended on!

Additionally, the other option is the C-81. Would you settle rather for that.? 

C-105 $100

C-161 $250 (not running right now)

C-81 with plow, wheel weights and chains $500 (not running right now)

I'm hitting the road today! My son's birthday present wheel horse is due in 2 days.!

Thanks!

Wheel Horse tractor - Google Chrome_2016-09-10_08-28-27.jpg

C-181.jpg

c81.jpg

Racinbob

Parts interchangeability over the years is incredible on Wheel Horses. Other than the obvious the tractors are basically the same. I would beware of the C-105. It's had a motor swap to an older one, But for the money it's not a bad deal. With the extras the C-81 is pretty tempting and might be the best for what you're doing. The C-161 Twin is the first black hood and is looking pretty darn solid. :)

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Save the Black Hoods! :twocents-02cents:

:ph34r:

• Like 3

953 nut

C-81 gets my vote, but for $ 500 it should run and drive. The C-105 scares me, too many bootleg repairs done! 

• Like 1

rmaynard

Assuming that the transmission oil leak is just a seal, that's no problem. Seals are cheap and easy to replace. Axle seals are easy once you get the hubs off, but a long leaking axle seal usually helps with hub removal.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• TractorEd
      By TractorEd
      I’ve decided to start this thread to keep this info together.  It’s about this C-161 I have.

It showed up at my house one day around mid-2021 as a “parts” tractor.

I had no idea this was going to be left at my door, abandoned, tired, unwanted.  I can’t remember a lot of what I was being told about it as I was staring at it wondering why I was chosen, apparently, as the one who was to strip it of it’s organs and transplant them into some other “being”.

By the time those who brought it left, even though I never said it until just now, I knew I was going to attempt to resuscitate her.

No longer an “it” she was certainly worthy of a shot at another life.  16 HP Kohler, Sunstrand Hydro and hydraulic lift!  I had already fallen in love with the C-100 I grew up with that I later inherited, but this girl had something extra, something different about her that I thought was …
      appealing.

Parts tractor?  Not if I can $@%# help it!

She was glistening.  Maybe it had something to do with the rain that day on the ride over.  But she IS glistening!
    • giddyap
      By giddyap
      I hope to make "It's my thing" my archival record. My first, It's my thing, "I do what I wanna do" is about my wheel standing Wheel Horse, this is about my C-81. Stock machines are just NOT my thing, I have to modify them to my pleasing, to be the apple of my eye, eye candy, or beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In other words, please take no offense in what I choose to do to my property. When I submit more "It's my thing" you know what to expect. 
      First photo is when it came home in stock condition. 2nd photo I removed the wrap around gas tank and added the underseat box and flip seat pan. 3rd photo atv 25x10-12 tires and raised seat pan. 4th is working mode. 5th added a 3/8 thick rubber scrapper between blade and cutting edge. Photos 6&7 light bar and back rest, a rear hanger to carry 60 pounds and the front of the hood is chopped 2 inches for a much improved profile. Somewhere between photos I sold the complete engine, PTO and wiring, removed PTO lever and dropped in a Predator 

• Redneckdavis
      By Redneckdavis
      This is going to be a slow project probably but I figured I'd start a build thread. I bought a pulling horse and it came with this c-81 for extra parts. Also a kid's puller for my little girl. 
           Homely looking thing missing front tires, and engine. Steering was rusted seized along with pedals and linkages. Extra hood(I don't know what it fits) and back fenders came from the grass next to where it had began to rot into guys yard. Who knows what else its missing but rear end oil is clean and it rolls.
         This is the wife's tractor. She originally wanted any tractor I could modify and turn into a mini Ford 8N. She has since fell in love with the horse and wants it built as is. 

• D_Mac
      By D_Mac
      Well fellas since I had to sell off my Wheel Horses I felt like I didnt belong anymore. The Lambert and the Speedanza are cool but THIS IS a Wheel Horse Fourm. Well guess what....... Im back in ! Picked this up a little while ago. Saw it on CL and jumped right on it. Not a model I know anything about but it does say Wheel Horse on the side of it ! I am so excited to have it and the best part is that it runs and drives!!! It does need some work... I think the hydro is leaking as a saw a puddle of oil on top of the deck. Checked the dip stick and was hardly any in there. When you raise the deck it seems to come up higher on one side then the other. Seat is horrible, someone glued vinyl on it. Front head light lens busted, rear one is busted and no lights work. came with wheel weights for the rear but nothing else. Still trying to figure it out. I just got it home and off the truck. As usual any info I would love to hear about it. I dont know the year, I believe thats a 16 hp Kohler, not sure but it runs really good. Not a fan of driving it by a stick, seems like something you have to get used to then maybe like. Right now it just seems funny but I only did a little lap in my yard. I think I got a smoking good deal on it that makes me even happier. 

• JT122004
      By JT122004
      I was given this snowblower as a wedding gift for my 1980 C-105, a buddy of mine bought it used from someone who said they used it on a 312-8. I heard the attach-o-matic was from about 1973-2007. When I tried putting it on, it seemed to long. I could not lift it up. Does it look to long to anyone like something was added? Or maybe it is operator error and I am doing something wrong. If it's for another Wheel Horse please let me know. I have no markings for a model number or serial number anywhere. If you can see these pictures let me know your great wisdom, I am new to the Wheel Horse family.