psalms83:18

my 400 suburban rebuild

o yeah waaayyy off order of things to be looking at ...i was looking at decals and came up with some discrepancies

notice pics...hopefully they load after I type this..

another member here has some pics of his "400" though it was labeled 1961?? Wouldn't it be a 401 then? And his decals on his tractor looked old and maybe original but they looked more like the 551 series decals that... pimp my ride.com...pimp my tractor(haha not so funny)...ummm what was that site where he's sellin wheelhorse decals.......................brain fart...i was just there... Anyway you can see the pics. What's the right decals for my 400.. And when I looked at the serial tag on this members pics mine doesn't have that style decal,, mine I actually haven't found yet...

wp_ss_20160614_0002.png

wp_ss_20160614_0005.png

wp_ss_20160614_0004.png

wp_ss_20160614_0001.png

redoyourhorse.com!!! That was it

• Like 1

AMC RULES

My 400...  :handgestures-thumbsup:

for comparison. 

'61 401

• Like 1

wallfish
7 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

for comparison.

Did you mean 401? That hood is a 1961-401/551

• Like 1

RedRanger
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

Did you mean 401? That hood is a 1961-401/551

I agree.

Looks like a 1961 401 with 1960 foot rests to me.

Also has the 61 hood decal.

Edited by RedRanger

AMC RULES

Oops!  Typo, or wrong pict...

one of the two.   :dunno:

Try again...400 here. 

IMG_4797.JPGIMG_4800.JPG

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

for comparison. 

'61 401

see your 400 stickers are different than what redoyourhorse.com sais is for the 400?

which is right

wp_ss_20160614_0002.png

Racinbob

Check the last post. Craig grabbed the wrong picture. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

Typo, or wrong pict...

one of the too. 

Try again...

IMG_4797.JPGIMG_4800.JPG

Craig??

I'm confused cause this one doesn't have any decals

Racinbob

AMC Rules. The decals are just missing. Notice the throttle and choke controls. The 60's have levers, the 61's have push/pull controls. The foot rests are different too. The 60's are bent diamond plate as shown. The 61's are cast. The 61 in post #80 has 60 footrests. That's something that is easily swapped out so it's not a good indicator of the year. Here's my 60 400 with some minor changes.

Suburban 030816 10.JPG

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

wallfish

Redoyourhorse.com has the correct decals listed for the 1960 400/550 suburban tractor

• Like 1

WHX??

This is whats on my 400 guys ..& I can guarantee they are original

@AMC RULES dig the shower head on yer 401... I'll take a dozen!:lol:

20150705_164337.jpg

BTW this is a very early production '60 but I would be willing to bet that on any particular day they slapped on whatever the assembly line guy had in his hand at the moment.

You gonna have your 400 at the show @Racinbob

• Like 4

ok now that we got that straightened out wheres the serial number for the 400?? If that sticker obviously isn't on the hood anymore and nothing on the frame like the 550

Racinbob

It will be on the plate between the throttle and choke levers. There's a good chance it's gone. :)

• Like 1

wallfish

right between the controls on the hood to cover the hole. Original is a metal plate etched but you can cut a piece of sheet metal and use the decal

Edited by wallfish

if I was going to try to rebuild my rotted hood??

does anybody in Massachusetts or NH have a suburban hood.??

I need dimensions but I'm a better visual hands on kinda person...and I'm only rebuilding the bottom front that ataches to the steering and frame area so I would think any suburban hood would work

Racinbob

No Jim, I'm not bringing it. We're heading to Indiana after the show and I don't want to haul my trailer. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wallfish said:

right between the controls on the hood to cover the hole. Original is a metal plate etched but you can cut a piece of sheet metal and use the decal

funny I see the big hole in the hood....

also...i don't have any spots for the controls??

wp_ss_20160615_0001.png

wp_ss_20160615_0002.png

4 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

No Jim, I'm not bringing it. We're heading to Indiana after the show and I don't want to haul my trailer. :)

wrong thread bob? Hehe

wallfish

I have one you can use for a pattern..

If you want to PM me your phone #, I can look around at the big show next week for one, IM a pic and what they are asking for it to you, if you want it, I'll bring it back with me.

look at the above pics, controls mount in the rectangle hole and the plate covers the center

• Like 1

Racinbob

Here's what they look like. I had to make new levers and used a decal from Terry along with handles from Glen. Where mine says 'Suburban 400' is where the serial number should be. I talked to Terry and asked him to do this because my number was long gone.

Controls Complete.JPG

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

look at the above pics, controls mount in the rectangle hole and the plate covers the center

good eye

and thanks for the offer to do the foot work for me...though my wife does all the behind the scenes credit card and bank statements it would not be easy for me to sneak enough $$ for a hood and shipping... I need my stealthy hidden cash flow for the things I cant manufacture like stickers and bearings... She saw my liquor store purchase cause I wanted to try making scorpion bowls...:deadhorse: ....LOL that's what I got....

Racinbob

Unfortunately your serial number is long gone too.

3 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Here's what they look like. I had to make new levers and used a decal from Terry along with handles from Glen. Where mine says 'Suburban 400' is where the serial number should be. I talked to Terry and asked him to do this because my number was long gone.

Controls Complete.JPG

I want me likey I would sneak some $$ for that

Edited by psalms83:18

Racinbob

I was lucky. I had the piece that goes under the hood, the top plate and one lever. The plate was badly pitted so I flipped it over and, after prepping, used the decal. I made new levers from stock I got at Lowes using the one original as a pattern. As stevasaurus would say.....boom-sha-ka-la-ka...............Did I say that right Steve? :D

• Like 2

?? Can anybody else explain this one??

no bolts on any pics in the manual...and those bolts in my previous pics show they are rubbing on the side plate. AND when I took them off realized they don't actually hold anything??

wp_ss_20160617_0001.png

wp_ss_20160617_0002.png

WP_20160606_16_10_47_Pro.jpg

the gear toothed part is welded to the caseing/housing of the spider gears. U can see it in that last pics the weld on the right side...

Racinbob

Take a look at this thread. Post #6 shows the differential differences. :)

I think I see what you're talking about. Get everything apart so you know exactly what you'll need to do to.