bizzo15

PTO clutch temperature

bizzo15

Hey guys, so the other day I got one of those infrared "contactless" thermometer the other day as an amazon deal of the day.  Tonight I mowed my lawn and when I pulled the tractor back in the garage I decided to shoot the thermometer at various parts of the tractor and I noticed the PTO clutch seemed to be much hotter than normal.  It read as high as 190F, that seems a little hot to me.  Is it normal for them to get this hot or am I looking at a failure of the clutch? 

• Like 1

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:           190F isn't real hot. The crank shaft dissipates some of the engine heat and the magnetic coil is drawing about ten amps witch is 120 watts of power, about the same as a large light bulb. There is no cooling fan or other heat removal mechanism around the clutch so I guess after mowing the yard that would not be excessive.  

• Like 1

clip

My clutch sits right below the exhaust on the 16hp Briggs, most of the PTO linkage gets very hot from that too. 190F isn't too bad, you should be able to notice that burning brake/clutch smell when it starts slipping.

Pollack Pete

If it ain't broke,don't fix it.I learned a long time ago to stop looking for problems.......the problems will find YOU soon enough. Mow your lawn.Put your Horse in the garage.Open a cold beer.Enjoy.

• Like 2

TDF5G
On 5/11/2016 at 6:56 PM, bizzo15 said:

I got one of those infrared "contactless" thermometer the other day as an amazon deal of the day

I got one on sale from Harbor Freight a couple of years ago and it is fun to play with. :rolleyes:

bizzo15
On 5/13/2016 at 6:43 AM, Pollack Pete said:

If it ain't broke,don't fix it.I learned a long time ago to stop looking for problems.......the problems will find YOU soon enough. Mow your lawn.Put your Horse in the garage.Open a cold beer.Enjoy.

Hahaha there's a lot of truth in that and I do enjoy cold beer, I'd rather take care of a problem though before it becomes catastrophic.  The consesus here is that temperature is nothing to worry about, so I won't.  By the way, I see your from Stillwater, what a beautiful area, I love riding snowmobiles in that area during the winter months.

20 hours ago, TDF5G said:

I got one on sale from Harbor Freight a couple of years ago and it is fun to play with. :rolleyes:

Yes it sure is, it's amazing the uses you can find for it.

• Like 1