SylvanLakeWH

C105 with K241AS 10 hp - intermittent ignition failure

SylvanLakeWH

New to WH world and this forum. Got a 1980-83? C105 with K241AS 10 hp with intermittent ignition failure. Sometimes the key simply won't get anything. No click or burp. This happens with no consistency. Hot, cold, warm... Usually, I jiggle key or wires and it's enough to get it going but I am concerned it will just get worse.  

Thoughts or or suggestions welcome!!!

sylvanlkwh

oldredrider

Sounds like you found the problem. The connector at the ignition switch needs to be cleaned as do the prongs on the switch. Shiny clean. A dab of dialectic grease applied after cleaning will help keep moisture out and the oxidation/rust from moving in.

SylvanLakeWH

Thanks much for the quick reply! Will give that a try!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• 953 nut
      By 953 nut
      I have a few basic electrical system diagrams that are helpful in understanding how the wiring system works. They are not specific to any particular tractor and do not include safety switches. All use the 5 post ignition switches 103-991 for Magneto and 103-990 for Battery Ignition. I failed to include fuses in the Starter Generator drawing, this is an over-site and I would encourage fuses be used as shown in the other two drawings. 
      Hope this is helpful.
      Magneto Ignition system with electric start and solenoid.

Battery powered ignition system with points, condenser, solenoid and electric start.

Battery powered ignition with solenoid, points, condenser, Starter Generator and a mechanical voltage regulator.

We have uncovered a shortcoming in the factory  wiring diagrams for S/G battery ignition systems with a four terminal voltage regulator. The wire from the regulator "Gen" terminal to the S/G  "A" terminal was omitted. This drawing should clear that up.

• Doodad
      By Doodad
      Well, I guess I've gone too far this time. I've got what I believe to be a 1974 Wheel Horse C-120 (12 HP Kohler serial7326629) that has performed nicely so far but looked a bit dirty so I had the great idea of cleanin' her up a little. Washed the tractor but the engine was dirty and I thought it would be nice to clean that up too so I sprayed some orange citrus cleaner on it and hosed it off and boy it cleaned right up and looks great...the only problem is, now it won't start...just grinds when I key the switch. I'm getting ready to take the hood off and check for spark but I'm suspicioning it's probably sucked water into the carb when I tried to pull it into the shop after washing. Anyway, that's my starting point but, before I go to far, I wanted to see what the Wizards of Wrenches have to say about what's wrong. I did get it to backfire and consider that an improvement but, no-starty, me no smarty. From the Doodad
    • PWL216
      By PWL216
      I have for sale a 1984 C-105 with deck and Snowblower. I got this as part of a package. There’s no battery and I haven’t tried to start it. I’m selling it as a project. The deck has one spindle out, but with it, as prior owner claims bearing was replaced. The snowblower has the flag and looks to be in very good condition. All but 1 tire holds air. The mower is complete. Includes mule drive. The extra hood (c-175) you see in the picture can go with the tractor for an additional $50. Thx for looking.

• Gingerbread
      By Gingerbread
      I’m new to this and not sure if I’m doing this right, But I have a 211-4 with a Briggs 11hp and the thing was sold in my town years ago when it was new. it was my grandfathers till now so it’s a nice piece of history. and it has some electrical problems I can’t figure out, It blows the 15Amp fuse as soon as you turn the key, it all started after the I had to replace the the ignition switch. And now it just blows the fuse. I messed with it when it happened but I have been away in the service for about two years, but now I’m on leave and want to fix my pride and joy but don’t know if my wires are all in the right spot. And my brother actually hooked the battery up backwards by accident for a few seconds while I was away so don’t know if that did anything. So any helpful suggestions or pictures for an example to look at. Thanks
    • illinibrew
      By illinibrew
      I have been into garden tractors for a few years.  Wanted to learn about small engines and buying an old sear suburban was cheaper than the class at the local community college.  Just got a 1980 C85 (with a johnny bucket on it).