DaleLicht

C-165 Clutch Pedal takeoff and braking too suddenly

DaleLicht

Hi everyone,

I have a 1984 C-165 with an 8 speed manual transmission and last year the drive belt started slipping and making noise when the clutch pedal was engaged (pushed down), so I figured that it was time to change the drive belt as it was very old. After changing the drive belt and also the brake band (there was no brake linings left on the old one) I now find that the when you engage the clutch the tractor brakes hard to a sudden stop, and at no time does the tractor disengage the transmission with out braking. I also am still experiencing some belt chatter when the clutch is engaged. Is this an adjustment that needs to be done or something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you :confusion-scratchheadblue:    

daveoman1966

Did you install an OEM belt, or a cheaper after=market to save a few bux? 

953 nut

:WRS: Your manual has a procedure that you must follow to the letter for brake adjustment. Basically you will jack up one rear wheel, back off on the linkage to the brake band, set the parking brake and begin tightening the brake band slowly while turning the elevated wheel until it will not turn by hand. Tighten the locking nut on the brake band, let it down and give it a try.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2

DaleLicht

Daveoman: I wasn't shopping for a price break and bought the belt online referencing the original part #. I actually bought two belts because the first belt looks like it is covered in a cloth like material and I wasn't sure about that and bought another. The one i installed looks like a normal belt without the cloth covering. The belt I replaed did not look like it was covered in cloth.

954 nut: I have followed the proper Brake Band adjustment procedure when I installed the brake band but I will recheck it.

Thank you Gentlemen!

gwest_ca

Belt should have a fabric cover. When the belt is slack it still rests in the pulley groove and the raw rubber won't allow it to slip.

Garry

• Like 1

DaleLicht

Thanks Garry, I didn't kow that but it makes sense. I will change the belt and see what happens...after I cut the grass. :text-thankyouyellow:

DaleLicht

There are 2 wire belt guides at the Drive Pulley behind the PTO Take Off that can be adjusted. Are these guides supposed to be touching the belt or just off the surface of it? I

can not find any reference in my service manual to indicate how to adjust them. Right now I have them adjusted to just barely touch the belt when it is engaged.Is there any other adjustments on the belt guides, that are important?  :text-imnewhere:

Thank you and Happy Mothers Day!

gwest_ca

They should just clear the belt when it is tight.

Garry

wallfish

If those guides are adjusted too close, they will not allow the belt enough room to disengage the pulley.

Adjust them to about 1/8 - 1/4 inch off the engaged belt. May take some trial and error with a new belt to get the correct position.

The belt must disengage from the engine drive pulley and stop turning it when you push the pedal so the gears don't grind while shifting.

Make sure the pulley is clean and rust free too.

Technically the tractor is supposed to brake when you disengage the clutch. You can loosen the nut for the brake band to delay this a little. The more you loosen it, the more the pedal has to travel to engage it. Sounds like it's adjusted a bit too tight. Again, use trial and error method until it's adjusted to a comfortable spot.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

Technically the tractor is supposed to brake when you disengage the clutch. You can loosen the nut for the brake band to delay this a little. The more you loosen it, the more the pedal has to travel to engage it. Sounds like it's adjusted a bit too tight. Again, use trial and error method until it's adjusted to a comfortable spot.

The C-165 has separate brake and clutch pedals, only my 854 has the two tied into one... Is there something I am missing there?

You can however feel a braking action from the clutch but its because of the tab over the clutch idler pulley. When you push the clutch in the tab pinches the belt a bit. This is done to push the belt forward and clear of the engine pulley, but when tight the belt is still solidly engaged on the transmission pulley so when you pinch the belt it acts as sort of a belt brake for the transmission. 

If you take the belt cover off and look at your guides you should see this. You may need to adjust the tab over the clutch pulley to prevent the instant brake you feel. 

Its been a long weekend so I am hoping this all makes sense! 

DaleLicht

Brandon,

Yes, you are correct about the clutch and brake pedal setup. I am going to change to a cloth drive belt this weekend and it should take care of the problems I am experiencing. I dont think I will need to adjust the pulley tab as the cloth drive belt will not grab the tab as agressively. I will update my status after the belt change. Thanks for the Info.