HorseHead1089

Bucket Loaders vs. smaller tractors...Help on ideas, and a direction to go

HorseHead1089

OK......I'm aware of the few front end loader threads recently and through searches here and through Google i just thought id make a place here for my own hopeful plethora of info. Well through my friends father i will be acquiring a 603 or 633 some such series round hood for Free.99!! Anyways my parents LOVE to mulch the flower beds and i happen to hate it unless i can play with my tractors. I guess you can see where this is going. I have searched far and wide on hydraulics vs electric actuators, and have noticed for such porpoises of moving mulch, and maintenance each seem to be good candidates. as far as a front end loader i have found a REAR end loader. Now will this benefit over a FEL by reasoning of less wear of front components since its a smaller tractor, and i thinks from the way it looks could be smaller/easier to move off and on. As far as getting it into the trailer, i could see the FEL prevailing in this category. ow would a rear end loader be able to ascend to a height? it doesn't look good from these pictures but there are ramps i could just back it up onto the trailer. and dont worry about it tipping as we have a silverado or '48 Farmall Super A to keep it held down. I have these pictures to get the conversation started. (yes I know ones a Sears and ones a Cubby) post-13504-0-86621800-1422558565_thumb.p post-13504-0-36973100-1422558637_thumb.j post-13504-0-25677400-1422558654_thumb.p

bmsgaffer

It will be really hard finding stuff for this already made, it will have to be a mostly custom fab job...

And looking at it, the FEL is definitely more versatile, but I don't know if its worth the complexity because the limiting factor will still be the tractor (round hoods dont weigh very much and parts are harder to find, making them not good loader candidates).

I do really like the rear loader for something like moving mulch around... You wont have much "dig in" to get mulch from a pile (but you wouldn't have that with the FEL on a round hood either).

Personally, I would get a nice dump trailer and fork it into the trailer and then dump it in the beds. Other than the "dig in" to the pile, that's all that the loaders are good for in planted beds anyway.

Having said that, I think a REL would be pretty cool to see if you are the fabricator type. :handgestures-thumbupright:

HorseHead1089

It will be really hard finding stuff for this already made, it will have to be a mostly custom fab job...

And looking at it, the FEL is definitely more versatile, but I don't know if its worth the complexity because the limiting factor will still be the tractor (round hoods dont weigh very much and parts are harder to find, making them not good loader candidates).

I do really like the rear loader for something like moving mulch around... You wont have much "dig in" to get mulch from a pile (but you wouldn't have that with the FEL on a round hood either).

Personally, I would get a nice dump trailer and fork it into the trailer and then dump it in the beds. Other than the "dig in" to the pile, that's all that the loaders are good for in planted beds anyway.

Having said that, I think a REL would be pretty cool to see if you are the fabricator type. :handgestures-thumbupright:

well... if it had some weight, and just for fun, i am very interested i fabricating it, as i'm aware i cant buy a danco or kwick-way without a big check, but if it had a ridged raise and lowing i believe it could get into the bottom of the pile to scoop it up. id just want something to make it my own.

HorseHead1089

also i think i could make it i could maybe make it so i could put a scraper blade on for winter on the existing bucket lift

HorseHead1089

A few more of this Sears just for a look... post-13504-0-69137000-1422568854_thumb.j post-13504-0-99344600-1422568916_thumb.j post-13504-0-57633400-1422568927_thumb.j 

HorseHead1089

OK where could i mount the top of the actuator where it connects to the tractor this picture is fairly similar to the tractor i will be getting. i doubt i could put box steel between the seat spring as the bolts in the top of the transmission i think would snap....or some sort of plate running parallel to the back face of of the transmission connected by the horizontal pin for the hitch? or maybe even something running under neath the tractor or in between the wheel and seat spring?  Anyways i hope a few more people could chime in although i imagine im the only one to do this sort of work. Could this be a first for the wheel horse community?

post-13504-0-44513500-1422834397.jpg

post-13504-0-82221400-1422834474_thumb.j

Edited by HorseHead1089

HorseHead1089

Amidst my dream I have dreamt of how it will be done!!! I shall have sketches later but for now it is a suprise.......

HorseHead1089

UPDATE... I have some sketches done up. just a basic mock up of what i could easily build. would this be to much stress on the case? the Wheel horse transmissions seem pretty beefy. would i need to swap to an 8 speed rear end with larger axles? like before primarily for mulch and dirt. it seems it would be better to conect through the hole for the hitch and have the pressure applied to a spread area on the case. i hope i can get some input soon.

post-13504-0-42597800-1422890314_thumb.j

post-13504-0-09590100-1422890329_thumb.j

decksetter

Just my opinion, but if it were me I wouldn't try to put a rear loader on a tractor that small.

The rear axle becomes your hinge point, basically if you have more weight behind the rear axle than in front of it you'll flip it backwards. All the weight you'll be adding will be behind that point, and if you try to put any weight on it at all your steering is going to get really light.

The benefit to a front loader (other than versatility and ease of use) is most of your added weight (other than the load in your bucket) is behind the front wheels. So basically in building the loader you've already added some counterweight to the tractor. Also the driver sitting on the seat is counterweight.

That's not to say don't build a rear loader. It could be a cool project and conversion piece. I just don't think you're going to be able to pick much up with it on such a light tractor with so little counterweight in front.

zanepetty

You could build a bracket for the front and hang some suit case weights on it.

maxed500

Build it. i think that would be strong enough of a framework.  I use a similar idea with an adjustable hitch for my 1050# stock puller with 1" axles.  definitely weight the front end down for control and safety, and i would add fluid to the rear tires, or those 25 pound weight lifting plates you can get from walmart so you'll have traction to push the scoop into the pile and get a decent bucket full of mulch/dirt.  the electric lift will be a simple, no mess no maintenance and strong enough for that size tractor. Any ideas on what weight rating of the electric lift you have your eye on using. 

HorseHead1089

Well I sadly won't be fabricating the rear end loader...instead the guy I'm getting the tractor. from will also be selling one of the few front end loaders that were designed for it. (I had no idea he had this) anyways I will be starting a tractor refresh thread as well with the loader in it to within the next few weeks I hope you all check it out in the restoration section later

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

Well I sadly won't be fabricating the rear end loader...instead the guy I'm getting the tractor. from will also be selling one of the few front end loaders that were designed for it. (I had no idea he had this) anyways I will be starting a tractor refresh thread as well with the loader in it to within the next few weeks I hope you all check it out in the restoration section later

Please post photos of this the moment you get it!

HorseHead1089

Unfortunately I have found out its not an exact match for the wheel horse but was actually designed for a cub cadet, but could be modified for the wheel horse. Looks like I may have to try to get both tractors