Sign in to follow this  
clemedc

Identify my horse

clemedc

Hell everyone

1: I was hoping someone could identify this lil guy here? I am thinking its a 1961 but I dunno what model.

2: what is the engine that is on it and what should it have and what else would be a good choice?

3: The tranny doesnt go into 1st and rev so will my lawn ranger tranny work and will it be correct? The Lawn Ranger Tractor has a Model number which is L-156 ? "there is a pic of the suburban tranny and of the lawn ranger tranny". Could the gears be exchanged between the trannys to fix the Suburban?

Suburban pics, what model???

http://i254.photobuc...clemedc/012.jpg

http://i254.photobuc...clemedc/015.jpg

http://i254.photobuc...clemedc/018.jpg

engine pic

http://i254.photobuc...clemedc/028.jpg

Trannys two pics from Suburban the other 2 from the Lawn Ranger

http://i254.photobuc...clemedc/024.jpg

http://i254.photobuc...clemedc/022.jpg

http://i254.photobuc...clemedc/034.jpg

http://i254.photobuc...clemedc/032.jpg

Jake Kuhn

:WRS: That is a 1961 551. Looks to be in great shape. Sorry I don't know about the trans but someone here will know. Jake

jbumgarner

I would think if you were to tear down the suburban tranny to swap gears, you would be better off to leave the lawn ranger tranny in one piece and buy the parts to repair the suburban tranny. Just my thoughts, but otherwise good luck and I'm glad to see another one being saved.

clemedc

Thanks Jake and Jeff

I still wonder if the Lawn Ranger Tranny will work on the Suburban? Because it could be used until I have the funds for rebuilding the Suburban Tranny.

What would be the correct engine?

What would be a good replacement engine? Possibly some Kohler?

Should it have a starter?

It appears to have had a battery but the key seems simply off or on.

Jake Kuhn

If you want the correct engine,it is a 5.5 hp tecumseh lauson engine with electric start. Most people are not a fan of the tecumsehs and put the kohler k91's in them but the tecumsehs can be good engines if you get them figured out. It all depends on how original or useful you want it to be. ~Jake

octfst

the tranny should fit but the shifter on the ranger should be bent and the 551 straight

clemedc

Thanks octfst

Can you or anyone else tell me if I can change the shifter, and how do you change it?

Also Im not as concerned with total originality but more with resurrecting the old Horse. I can always do a correct restore down the road if I wish.

octfst

Thanks octfst

Can you or anyone else tell me if I can change the shifter, and how do you change it?

Also Im not as concerned with total originality but more with resurrecting the old Horse. I can always do a correct restore down the road if I wish.

Im not sure whats it would take to change the shifter. but if you would probably better off to repair your old trans.

clemedc

Well I live in west of Indianapolis about 45 miles, Maybe someone could tell me if there is anybody close who rebuilds these trans???

ANYONE??? :eusa-think:

Clem

Foozerush

Hiya Clemedc, I'm up here in Fort Wayne. Looking at your engine pic and I am sure that engine is off a snowblower, per the duel shafts on rear of engine, the second shaft is gear reduction for slower speed for the drive of a blower. Find a electric start Kohler to drop in that. I've never had to split a tranny ( knock on wood ), but depending on your mechanical ability they really really are not hard to work on, I've followed a lot of threads of RS members who step by step fix them and a few have pics and vids on how to. Sounds like something up with the shifter inside not moving the assembly I doubt the gears are bad, maybe a shift fork problem. Hope someone chimes in who can direct you to help with someone who rebuilds them. Good Luck.... Fooze

stevasaurus

I just saw this thread. Your 551 has a #5007 trans and your ranger has a #5053 trans if they are original. They are basically the same trans...ie...the gears inside are the same. To change the shifter, loosen the lock nut and turn out the dog point set screw. The shifter should lift right out...both work the same. To replace, put the shifter ball back in the socket...tighten the set screw until snug and then loosen a 1/4 turn...tighten the lock nut. There is a hole in the socket ball that accepts the set screw. While you have the shifter out, try using a large screwdriver to try to shift the 1st and rev fork...that would be the fork that you see in the hole where the shifter goes that is farthest away from the axle I can tear it down for you and rebuild it if you want...you are about 3 hours from me.

PM me if you want to talk about how we can do this. :) I can tell you this...it is worth fixing, or at least taking a good look at it...they do not make these anymore..

clemedc

Thanks Foozerush and pm sent Stevasaurus

Does anyone know what models of electric start Kohler`s would fit under the back of the hood there not much more than 12 inches of clearance.

clemedc

Stevasaurus

A little knowledge goes along way. I took the shifter out and used a screwdriver and I couldnt get it to budge so then I took a 3/8 extension about 8 or 10 inches long and it fit into the shifter forks. I then took an 8oz ball peen hammer and lightly tapped the extension while turning the input shaft and VIOLA it popped in gear. I then moved it back and forth several times,

Something I failed to mention is the transmission was completely full of a watery oil/ solvent smelling substance when I got it, I immediately drained all the mess out.

After I got the tranny going into 1st and rev I poured in a quart of motor oil (its all I have) and rolled the tranny around to give everything a good coat and then worked it thru all the gears and spun the input shaft, it had a slight snag or two in 1st and rev but smoothed out really nice. Im guessing its worth draining and refilling with the proper gear oil and see if it holds up.

The drain plug is stuck solid in the case so Ill get someone with a torch to heat the plug and get it out.

Thanks Steve

stevasaurus

Sounds good Clem. The transmission should have 1 1/2 qts of 90 wt oil in it when you are done. You may want to run kerosene or diesel fuel in it to clean it out a little more. I would run it like that for only about 15 minutes and drain...repeat the process until clean...usually once or twice, then put in the 90wt and ride her around in all gears for a while. Maybe change the oil again next spring or later depending upon usage. :) Also, get a new boot to put over the shifter from Toro if yours has any cracks in it...that is how water gets in. They are not expensive. I am glad it worked for you.