C-85 822 #1 Posted September 21 I was thinking I was wrapping up my 400 restoration project and then I decided to waste about a quart of 90w gear oil! I should have known that bad things were coming because its transmission was out of oil, so I put some in then saw leaks on its right side. I checked the cover bolts and the one on the bottom right rear was very loose. I tried tightening it and quickly realized I was stripped so I run tap through it and that didn’t grab hardly anything. Then I thought I would just tap it out to 3/8 (it was 5/16) and that didn’t really get started either. After a long process of getting the right hub off (I was surprised it finally came off w/o breaking it) I took its right side cover off and found a real mess, 3 of the bolt holes were broken off! So I’m trying to figure out how I can fix this or if any used ones exist. At first I thought I might run a threaded rod to its left side but it looks like any rods will interfere with some of the gears HELP! C-85 6 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
SylvanLakeWH 32,497 #2 Posted September 21 @stevasaurus 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
squonk 48,119 #3 Posted September 21 Put an add in classified. Maybe @Lane Ranger knows where a good case might be. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
oldlineman 1,809 #4 Posted September 21 Call Lincoln at A to Z and see what he might have. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Achto 32,685 #5 Posted September 21 Honestly, it looks like you need a new tranny case. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
c-series don 12,444 #6 Posted September 21 (edited) Honestly I think I have one! Is this it? Edited September 21 by c-series don 3 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 69,283 #7 Posted September 21 Any good machine shop should be able to mill slots where the threads need to be. New predrilled cast iron tabs could then be placed in the slots then bolted to the side panel while the tabs are welded into the slots in place of the missing material. It won't be cheap but would make for a great "How I SAVED IT" thread. 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
C-85 822 #8 Posted September 21 Thanks for the suggestions, this group is full of critical thinkers! C-Series Don, I would be very interested in that case you have! C-85 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
oliver2-44 11,749 #9 Posted September 22 10 hours ago, C-85 said: Thanks for the suggestions, this group is full of critical thinkers! C-Series Don, I would be very interested in that case you have! C-85 Forwarding to @c-series don Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
stevasaurus 23,856 #10 Posted September 22 Those tabs are real fragile, but they can be repaired. I found the right guy to weld a case I had at an old radiator shop...cost me $20. Here is a couple of pics. Personally, I would take Don up on his offer...but keep your casting. It is fixable. You do have to be very careful with welds so as not to interfere with any gears. Things are tight in there. 1 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
C-85 822 #11 Posted September 22 Hi Stevasaurus, I’m glad I’m not the only one that has run into this issue! Seems like a strange design with the treaded bolts sitting in the oil bath. I’m guessing they must have leaked a little or at least seeped some by the bolts? I am very interested in that case that Don has, I believe I sent a PM to him, but I’m not sure if it went through or not (I’ve never done that before), I haven’t heard back. There must be a torque spec for those side cover bolts, but I haven’t found it. If I’m lucky enough to get this fixed it will need some new seals and gaskets! C-85 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 69,283 #12 Posted September 22 1 hour ago, C-85 said: will need some new seals and gaskets! Lowell can fix you up. https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/shop-now/ 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
mrc 1,119 #13 Posted September 22 C85, perhaps pipe dope on the bolts would prevent oil from seeping past Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
wallfish 20,592 #14 Posted September 23 4 hours ago, C-85 said: Seems like a strange design with the treaded bolts sitting in the oil bath. The handles on the wrenches must've been shorter in 1958 to 1961. Someone went overboard and it was probably a gasket leak and they tried torquing it. I've had a bunch of them over the years and never had one of those bolts leak oil yet. In fact, I remove one of those bolts to drain the oil out ! 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
stevasaurus 23,856 #15 Posted September 23 On that case I pictured, I had to use fiber washers to stop the leaks...they worked. Look at the 1st picture, the mistake is the welds are not even with the sealing part of the case. The fiber washers did work though. The bar (metall) I used is 3/4" x 36" available from ACE Hardware. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
C-85 822 #16 Posted September 24 Thanks for the suggestions, this group is full of critical thinkers! C-Series Don has offered to help with his used case, so if that all works out we'll get this back together! If not I'll have to use some of these welding solutions. I was wondering about possible oil seepage from the cover bolts, so thanks for the suggestions for that. Our Honda Passport and Ridgeline have 'crush' washers on the engine oil drain plugs to make sure they don't leak and those plugs are also fine thread too! C-85 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
stevasaurus 23,856 #17 Posted September 28 Don't over think rebuilding this trans. Good clean surfaces and a good gasket are all you need. I've done quite a few of these 3 piece transmissions and never had a leak. As far as tourque specs for those bolts, I don't think there are any. What is important is to tighten them all the same...maybe 16 foot pounds is enough. If you can tell when enough is enough you will be fine. My Dad could not tell and he would tighten the heck out of the bolts he was (snuging) up. Stripping threads is too much tourque. This thinking will work on all Wheel Horses. I am amazed at how easily a Horse in the woods for 30 years will still unbolt. A 50 year old transmission will unbolt...except for some wheel hubs. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites