Keaton

duals help

Keaton

i want to put duals on my wheel horse 701 so i can get a plow and pull it, i am not shure what do , i found a kit for $130 it has a big ring and come long bolts. bit could i make something, i think i can get a second set of tires, but what do i do to tie the togher? any ideas will help, thanks 

JoeM

I had an issue trying to use the ring type where the tire were to close together. I figure on your 701 those would work fine. 

I like the style shown myself. 

image.png.667734baef8e5016e73ba43b6bc52d70.png

image.png.75c1fac2f674453f69ce4370c855df3e.png

• Like 3

ri702bill

A note of caution - you probably still have the 3-of-5 cast iron rear hubs. They are rather delicate and with the added side load may fail. You may wish to consider upgrading to the 854 or 855 style full circle 5 bolt hubs. And be sure to add a second lock screw at 90 degrees to the original if it has only one....

• Like 2

Keaton
9 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

A note of caution - you probably still have the 3-of-5 cast iron rear hubs. They are rather delicate and with the added side load may fail. You may wish to consider upgrading to the 854 or 855 style full circle 5 bolt hubs. And be sure to add a second lock screw at 90 degrees to the original if it has only one....

so you are saying i should get 5 bolt hubs instead of the 3 it has? i can look for some, i looked for some i did not find sets just single ones, do you think it would break with duals? i dont want to hurt it but i dont have much to spend to get them, so i will have to think about it

Edited by Keaton

Achto
1 hour ago, Keaton said:

i want to put duals on my wheel horse 701 so i can get a plow and pull it

If you are talking about getting a moldboard plow, then you can run duals on the left hand side of the tractor but not on the right hand side. The right hand tires need to run in the furrow and a dual wheel would not allow for this.

Example:

1789058149_jdtrac.jpg.0d9757358855ef162896eed5d6753ba1.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Achto

Jim pulling an 8" plow with my 701. Could have use a little extra weight in the rear (wheel weights or fluid in the tires) and some weight up front to keep it on the ground. Other than that it did real well with the 6 x 12 ag's on the rear.

IMG_20201023_145711340.jpg.491b71fc3133e6c4a24dab22609f96db.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill

@Keaton - I have broken two of the original 702 hubs (same as yours) while snowplowing. No duals, but added weight & chains to give solid traction were enough to ruin them. Changed to 854 hubs - no issues......

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Here's how i did it... tractor is now at@Pullstart Stables... 12" pvc

image.jpeg.294c5240f2cb78015adf1581c2ebe83d.jpegimage.jpeg.8e81f09dfbbc15d4abac5030ae6f3bd3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Sparky

I also used the PVC ring method. 
 Trimmed the rings down to keep the tires real close, and shot em with some red paint. 

IMG_8860.jpeg

IMG_8864.jpeg

IMG_8866.jpeg

IMG_8872.jpeg

IMG_8879.jpeg

IMG_8881.jpeg

IMG_8888.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6

Keaton

wound a pice of a 5 gallon bucket work i just thought of that cause i can not find pvc that big

Keaton

@Sparky what is that tractor, it has a round fender tool box and the rest looks like a round hood, that looks really neat with that stac

Pullstart

There is no need for duals to plow with.

But I love duals regardless.

I have more of the 12” PVC and have shipped a piece of it in the past.  @ebinmaine and @OldWorkHorse (?) got enough to make a set each.

This video here though kind of explains how a skinny tire adds traction, where a wide tire adds flotation.  Skinny (single) tires will likely give you more bang for your buck than duals.  Add weight and more weight and even fluid fill your tires and you’ll be surprised what you can accomplish!

• Like 3

Keaton

i plan to add 4 25lb plates to the back i am going to build a weight rack that goes in the slot hitch that can hold a chainsaw on top also incasw i wanted my 701 around the property and trim some branches

• Like 1

ri702bill
46 minutes ago, Keaton said:

wound a pice of a 5 gallon bucket work i just thought of that cause i can not find pvc that big

Too thin a cross section - would probably squish out like a rubber band!

WHX??
Posted (edited)

Agree with the others on not needing duals for plowing. Best save your attention in geting the tractor and plow setup in top notch shape. 

If I was to be serious about plowing with a roundy I would go with five bolt hubs and loaded 23-10.50 Tru Powers. 

A front tombstone weight & Firestone 23s  I had Pullstart's pockets. Now that would be boss!!! 

We throw roundys in a furrow but just for fun and to perhaps. work a fresh motor. 

Tom @Shynon set this mule up with landside duals and really not needed but he could and it does look cool. 

Most often with the angle the tractor sets in the furrow outside tire prolly doesn't do much. Especially on hard dirt. 

20191006_132334.jpg.40ce8aacb3a565ef98c05913d0657b13.jpg

That pic Dan musta been before you restoed it. I recollect right it did ok with no mods. We have very forgiving soil here tho @Keaton

Soil types you plan to plow is a key to setting your rig up proper. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

Keaton

@WHX?? where could or would i find a toumbstome weight it would be cool to have one

Pullstart
20 minutes ago, Keaton said:

@WHX?? where could or would i find a toumbstome weight it would be cool to have one

Good luck… they are like hen’s teeth!  

• Like 1

c-series don

If you do end up putting duals on I would recommend running the outside tires with slightly less pressure than the inside. This will reduce added stress on the hubs and axles. 

• Like 1

kpinnc
16 hours ago, Keaton said:

any ideas will help, thanks 

I have a set of the square ones like the diagram shows, but they were made wider as to work with 8.5 inch standard wheels. They could be shortened to work with 6 inch very easily. PM me if interested. 

Otherwise I'll stick them in the classifieds. 

WHX??
10 hours ago, Keaton said:

They do pop up now and then and most often would have to travel but get some really deep pockets.