JPWH

Shop upgrades and re-organization

ri702bill

OK by local code to bury the cable without conduit??? Here, I had to bury the 110 volt underground wire to the pool pump 18" deep - in plastic conduit...

• Like 1

JPWH

The cable is in conduit at 24" deep.

The water line is in the same ditch about 12' deep.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, JPWH said:

left over from jobs

One of the things I miss since I retired,       My job leftover supply is almost used up.    :(

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

JPWH
8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

One of the things I miss since I retired,       My job leftover supply is almost used up.    :(

I have about a year and a half and my job leftover  resource

will dry up as well.

• Like 2

JPWH

I posted the shelves in another thread but thought I would add them here. The same neighbor that dug my ditch took the old shelves.

KIMG0738.JPG.53a40a3b43cf3717445dbc2f24de85cb.JPG

KIMG0750.JPG.54bc6f6a63777960d21f7d86e3c90cf7.JPG

I also moved.some tools from my workbench wall and moved them close to my work table.

KIMG0749.JPG.0df00e4eee5d1e926d85b760def7ec08.JPG

I removed all the pegboard from over the workbench and I am building a tool rack and shelves for that area.

KIMG0760.JPG.664fcb5fb8d0d3d435c94fcc91d0324b.JPG

Edited by JPWH
  • Like 8

953 nut
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Time to get another job Ed.             :ROTF:             I know the feeling, it about kills me when I need a short piece of anything that I could have pulled out of the metal dumpster at work.          :confusion-shrug:       Guess thats the price we pay for having retired.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell
14 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

it about kills me when I need a short piece of anything

It is painful Richard.  We do have a scrap yard close by that sells metal   (bar, angle, round,channel,pipe stock) by the pound.    

• Like 7

JPWH

I got the tool rack and shelf frames tacked together and temporarily installed to get some measurements to complete the frame for the tool holders then I will finish installing the insulation and plywood around the window before final install.

I will have my cordless tools, battery's, charger, and some misc.  hand tools (wrenches, crescent wrenches, screwdrivers, and a couple of hammers) hanging on this rack.

KIMG0768.JPG.e29b5394f18bd020df6c24b56a9c62ab.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

Jay, I just came across a tool organization system you may be interested in.

1809963519_Toolchurch.jpg.4bda85c82d3c7e9868b2241967067dc7.jpg

I know that this may seem sacrilegious but I plan to give that type of humor up for Lent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

953 nut

Second verse just for @Pullstart,         I once was lost but now am found, was hidden but now can be seen.

10mm.jpg.4bafeba97b8b5e8123bbb46fbfe22160.jpg

• Haha 7

Handy Don
On 2/10/2024 at 1:54 PM, Ed Kennell said:

Not gonna get huge sympathy from me on this with your access to some incredible auctions!

• Haha 4

JPWH

I got the rest of the frame tacked together and the charger, batteries, and a few tool holders mocked up.

KIMG0772.JPG.c75ccfd2fee662a87fc41c65ba93f5e0.JPG

KIMG0773.JPG.649c0b54e978c30a0d11d122750cda19.JPG

Then I started cutting and bending the adjustable tool holders.

KIMG0774.JPG.ba92baab5b7081b5685124ce03bca485.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

JCM

Very nice work Jay.  :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

JPWH

I got the shelf's and tool storage installed today. Now to build the tool holders.

KIMG0783.JPG.84af59b2df1b84e9b69e216b4153640d.JPG

Edited by JPWH
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Like your tall tool box with stuff piled on the lid Jay. I had a Snap On dealer once who tried to sell me a tool box combo so high that I being 6'1", couldn't see into the top. He told me he would throw in a stool for free. I said no way I'm buying a tool box that I will be climbing up and off a stool 50 times a day! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

JPWH
11 minutes ago, squonk said:

Like your tall tool box with stuff piled on the lid Jay. I had a Snap On dealer once who tried to sell me a tool box combo so high that I being 6'1", couldn't see into the top. He told me he would throw in a stool for free. I said no way I'm buying a tool box that I will be climbing up and off a stool 50 times a day! :rolleyes:

I usually just keep a notepad on top but I had to use the top to keep stuff out of my way. I have to have a stool to see in the top so I don't keep much in there. I have to open the lid every so often to remind myself what is up there.

• Haha 2

peter lena

@ri702bill  when you run a plastic water pipe for an electrical protector , use a SHOP VAC and  1/8"  NYLON TWYNE ,  instantly  gives you a pull point , and  smooth pulling  that  cable , been there done that pete

• Like 1

JPWH

I'm making some progress. Slow baby steps but moving forward. I have moved all the stuff from the back room shelves to the new shelves. @squonk Mike the tool box lid is clear. I added another 4 drawer cabinet and it now holds my note pad.

KIMG0790.JPG.660344b3673a1074cd578be2a533ad63.JPG

I have been looking for a large machinist box for a while but not wanting to spend big money. Found this on a Saturday sitting in front of a thrift store that I pass every day on my way home from work. It was very dirty and some drawers were bent on the fronts but still a good deal for 150.00. even has a key for the lock and some tools as well.

It's too heavy for me to lift by myself so I removed the drawers and fixed the bent ones as I removed them. So while it is apart this far I took everything off I could so I can prep and paint it later.

KIMG0777.JPG.f5800e2d3a244303320e39bc77b771fb.JPG

KIMG0789.JPG.658f0ba5b24e3f13c42fd215e6e90cf5.JPG

KIMG0788.JPG.cbcbf2a9f8560dbd3136a60357743c4a.JPG

• Excellent 5

Handy Don
1 hour ago, JPWH said:

Found this on a Saturday sitting in front of a thrift store that I pass every day on my way home from work

Great spotting. It pays to pay attention to what’s going on around you, for sure. You got a good deal. I’ve been keeping an eye out for another box but haven’t seen a deal yet.

• Like 1

JPWH
Posted (edited)

I’ve been keeping an eye out for another box but haven’t seen a deal yet

• I'm always looking for metal cabinets or drawers. I have 2 more wooden cabinets I want to replace with metal ones. 
  •  
  • Quot
Edited by JPWH
  • Like 1

JPWH

I have been moving more stuff to containers for storage on the new shelves. I am one container short to have them full. I also got the adjustable battery drill holders built and installed. The drills set far enough from the wall so bits do not have to be removed.

KIMG0794.JPG.5f8cb7f7579b48d89e1a895ddc4fcaf4.JPG

KIMG0793.JPG.69d8162456255dc616382d75eda7b533.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4