peter lena

Burnham mercury switch failure

peter lena

was having erratic  furnace , quick cycling , start / stop , burner is relatively new ,  5 years , traced it back to internal mercury , glass shell tracking, not an absolute stop /  start , bulb was horizontal , and had a very slight side to side rocking  action , causing problem . replaced it with a new digital switch , that was it !  amazing that this was the original thermostat switch installed in the house over 50 YEARS AGO !  furnace is very happy now , I  am too , Pete

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

JCM

Was that an old T 87 T STAT  Pete ?

peter lena

@JCM   don't know that  ,but he took it mentioned that they were not safe to handle , made by HONEYWELL . also said that now , thats a regular replacement on any newer burner replacement , similar problem to mine , he said they are outlawed today ,

dangerous  possible collective related issues .  

• Like 1

JCM

The T 87 was the old round thermostat made by Honeywell with mercury switch. They lasted for many years used on hot air furnaces and hydronic systems. He is correct and they are no longer in use.

• Thanks 1

rmaynard

My father was in the heating business. When he would replace an old mercury thermostat, he would throw them in the trash. That was the 50's and 60's. I'd pull the mercury tubes out and put them in an old coffee can. I left home in 1968. When dad died in 2004, we cleaned out his garage/shop and I found my coffee can. I still have a good collection of old mercury tubes.

• Like 1

c-series don

@JCM Do you mean like this one? Set on 65, but it’s 72 because of my wood stove! 

IMG_0172.jpeg

• Haha 1

JCM

I  have 5 zones here at home that have Honeywell T stats with a Burnham cast iron boiler with cast iron baseboard heat. I still prefer the mercury ones. The new ones that replaced those are a bit of a PITA.  Tough to beat old school stuff. Love the patina on that old Stat  @c-series don .  :thumbs:

c-series don

@JCM Ha! I have three of those hooked to a Burnham and baseboard also!! Since my kids grew up and moved out, the second floor is basically shut down to 50 degrees. My wife and I live on the first floor and I can heat that with the wood stove. I try my best not to burn oil, but I still need hot water! My daughter said I should replace the thermostat with an electronic one, I said NOPE this thing needs nothing, is not broken and I’m not changing it! 

Edited by c-series don
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Blasterdad

Had a good friend call me at 10:00 at night panicking, her 70 something year old Dad was home alone during the cold spell we had a couple of weeks ago.

He had called her & said the furnace wasn't working & the thermostat was blinking "Low Battery" & he didn't know how to change it.

30 minutes later I changed the battery & had the heat back on, I told him if it was me I'd get rid of it for a simple one.

He said he told his daughter on the phone he was going to smash it with a hammer & twist the wires together knowing she would flip out & call me. :ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

lynnmor

You guys would love my new Honeywell T6 Pro thermostat, it has a list of settings as long as your arm.

Scroll thru the list