WHX??

Welding on Horses?

WHX??

Or any machine for that matter. 

Changing tranny fluid on the 502 and of course the allen plug stripped out. Can easily weld a nut on but question is does a guy have to disconnect all electrical stuff on it to avoid letting the smoke out of regulators, magnetos and such? Disconnect battery? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I wouldn't even THINK about doing any welding on a tractor unless the ground cable was disconnected at minimum.  

Not likely to hurt anything but .... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@WHX?? Remember  to wear your bed pan hat when welding .

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

ri702bill
31 minutes ago, squonk said:

The answer is: How difficult is it to find and replace and at what cost the electrical items you're worried about. I've welded on several tractors and unhooked the battery. If the tractor is Tecky powered, take the engine out. :lol:

Once the Techy comes out, it MAY not go back!! If if goes back in, use wingnuts!!!!! :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

ri702bill
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Changing tranny fluid on the 502 and of course the allen plug stripped out. Can easily weld a nut on

Key word here is "easily". Not a fan of MIG welding upside down. MAYBE best to pull the Unidrive and rotate it up.- NO electrical issues either that way...

Welding the nut  - have done that before - the heat from welding helps to make removal easier.

Have you tried using a Torx bit?? The right size pounded in may do the trick. Done that too.

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto

Pull the negative cable & weld away. :thumbs2:

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

squonk
5 minutes ago, Achto said:

Pull the negative cable & weld away. :thumbs2:

And make sure your tongue is sticking out whilst welding. Get your head real close to the arc so you see good! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

oliver2-44

You've received enough helpful and sarcastic comments, so I'll just wish you good luck.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

wallfish

I typically remove the ground wire to the battery but have also done PLENTY of quick welding without doing so. Never hurt a thing so far. There's no sensitive space shuttle electronics on these old tractors to ruin.

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

WHX??

1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

Not a fan of MIG welding upside down. MAYBE best to pull the Unidrive and rotate it up.

Never done it  and i suck st welding  but ain't  afraid to try. After further review Bill it may come to that. Seals are leaking & almost bad bearings. Not gonna be this trip in the shop tho got other tractors to nurse.

1 hour ago, oliver2-44 said:

sarcastic comments, so I'll just wish you good luck.

Thanks Ollie... their way of saying they don't know the answer...B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

SylvanLakeWH
2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Thanks Ollie... their way of saying they don't know the answer...B)

Wait... Whats the question...? :confusion-confused:

• Haha 3

DCwom

Don't over look the location of the ground clamp of the welder, all of that juice flowing from the rod has to get back to the welder's ground clamp (assuming an electric arc weld). The path it takes through the tractor will dictate what may or may not smoke. Basically you want it as close as you can to the weld joint so there aren't any sneak paths where it could cause damage.

Edited by DCwom
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

tbear853

I just disconnect the battery ground and even if I must clean paint off, clamp as close as possible to where I'm welding, preferably to the part.  I have used vice grips to clamp to the part, then set my welding ground to the vice grips.  

First, I'd try to massage a larger allen wrench to fit tight to what's left, maybe just touch a spot of weld and use a socket on the allen end after cutting it off if lacking room to turn it 360 degrees.

Edited by tbear853
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

squonk
23 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Amen.  Autos and tractors alike.  I realize I could damage something.  I also ride a motorcycle and tear the tags off my mattresses.  :orcs-cheers:

Straw has tags? :confusion-confused:

• Haha 8

sjoemie himself

Just as what was mentioned above several times I would also just disconnect the battery (both terminals just to be sure) and weld away!

The modern Claas tractors I work on clearly state that one should disconnect the battery on the tractor before welding on the tractor AND/OR connected implement.

That being said, while our garden tractors are c no space shuttles by a long shot most modern tractors start to resemble them in terms of sensitive electronics. Hence the warning labels.

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Wait... Whats the question...? :confusion-confused:

Can you weld on a horse without damaging electrical.

Hey wait a minute didn't I lay a bead on a NOS A-60 Dan? 

How's that one running for ya Sylvia? :lol:

Well as Ritchie @19richie66 might say... put the welder down, put you hands in the air and slowly step away...:D

I used Bill's torx suggestion and hammered one in. Just as she was about to strip out it busted loose.

:bow-yellow: Bill. 

Plan B was T bear's allen wrench. Did I mention I suck at welding? :)

Broach the hubs, new hardware and call it a day for this girl for now. Gotta love it when seals leak and hubs slide right off. 

20231215_163524.jpg

20231215_075959.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 1

squonk

You also could have drilled the plug out and used an easy out. But I figured you had your heart set on breaking out Mr. Sparky! 

• Haha 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Wonder if he used  his tongue to test the quality of the gear oil?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

wallfish
23 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Gotta love it when seals leak and hubs slide right off. 

I've actually used gear oil as a "penetration oil" because of that. If you have the time, it works pretty good as the oil doesn't evaporate, stays in place and it creeps well. Not fast 

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
55 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Hey wait a minute didn't I lay a bead on a NOS A-60 Dan? 

How's that one running for ya Sylvia? :lol:

:scared-eek:

• Haha 3

c-series don

No shortage of sarcasm here today with this post! The guy asks a simple question and you guys go off with sarcasm! Personally I love it😂😂 Also not sure how @squonk knows that @Pullstart sleeps on straw, but whatever !…….

• Haha 8