Sparky

My winter tractor

D_Mac

I use a 875. Fire & Ice. Love the automatics for plowing. Pardon my dog Jeffrey. He gets excited when a tractor comes out.

20230225_125446.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

I implemented that front wheel chain improvement too this year.  I think I got the idea from @ebinmaine.  I am curious to see how it works

I'm fairly sure I got that notion from either @pfrederi or @953 nut  

It does work but of course weight is key.  

• Like 1

WHX??

Actually @Streetrodchev on further review the 318 and that mid mount is quite the tractor. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

wallfish
On 12/15/2023 at 6:34 PM, EB-80/8inPA said:

I am curious to see how it works.

Makes a huge difference. Those chains don't appear tight enough though but could be the pic. Best to see some tire bulge on each side of the chain on wide tires.

If they do come off remove a link or 2 to get them on tighter on a deflated tire then air them up. You'd be surprised how easy they come off when you only think they're tight. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Streetrodchev
17 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Actually @Streetrodchev on further review the 318 and that mid mount is quite the tractor. :handgestures-thumbupright:

That combo works well for me. 
I have the skid shoes on the blower set for gravel/ grass, then when I’m on pavement, the belly blade catches the rest. Belly blade is also hydraulic angle. 

There is about 450 lbs in the rear wheels and with diff lock, I don’t need chains. 
Front wheel weights assist with extra steering traction. 

Edited by Streetrodchev
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

EB-80/8inPA
11 hours ago, wallfish said:

You'd be surprised how easy they come off when you only think they're tight. 

Hopefully easier than how they broke.  What a job that was with those links bending like they did.  Needed some persuasion on the anvil, they did.  Maybe I need a better brand of chain break, IDK.

They’re presently on the outboard side of the tire and have a pretty firm interlocked grip on the tread.  I’m assuming (hoping) that the outside radius chains will get pushed on the most in a turn and onto the tire.  I’ll find out if this theory works if we get any snow.  Thanks for the feedback.

wallfish
1 hour ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Hopefully easier than how they broke.  What a job that was with those links bending like they did.  Needed some persuasion on the anvil, they did.  Maybe I need a better brand of chain break, IDK.

They’re presently on the outboard side of the tire and have a pretty firm interlocked grip on the tread.  I’m assuming (hoping) that the outside radius chains will get pushed on the most in a turn and onto the tire.  I’ll find out if this theory works if we get any snow.  Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, they seem to always come off on the inside of the tire which makes them easy to find because they're looped on the axle. The first couple of years doing it I had to learn and keep removing links. Finally got to the point where I was prying them onto a flat tire to get tight enough. One section of my driveway is a long curve so it's about 40 ft of the same direction plus multiple passes which is where they mostly came off. Maybe they don't need to be quite as tight without that situation.

Not sure how or why they bent but I've never used a chain breaker, just grid off the pin heads and tap them out.

• Like 1

D_Mac

My snow removal equipment. Snow shovel not shown in photo. 

20231216_122757.jpg

• Haha 1

Wayne0
On 12/15/2023 at 9:19 PM, WHX?? said:

You guys got no stones... got a problem with round hoods do ya? Now Sparkeye you know I respect your tastes in horses but a fine roundy for moving stuff. 

Try it Mikey you'll like it...:lol:

20221215_134911.jpg

Looks like the old "Bug Eye" Sprite!!

• Haha 2