RJC1965

Are inner tubes necessary

RJC1965

I am in need of replacing my front and rear tires on my 520h with a Kwik-Way loader. Many on here have suggested the Vredstein V-61. When reading the information on these they seem to suggest you need to install with inner tubes. Is it necessary to put tubes in these or are you ok going tubeless.  Thanks 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Can you link that info here?

Why not use tubes?

I now install tubes in every tire I swap, new or used. 

It makes setting the bead a non issue and fluid filling easier to accomplish.  

I don't see a negative to using tubes... BUT.... we don't have sharp thorns or things to cut tires other than occasional rocks.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

RJC1965
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Can you link that info here?

Why not use tubes?

It makes setting the bead a non issue and fluid filling easier to accomplish.  

I don't see a negative to using tubes... BUT.... we don't have sharp thorns or things to cut tires other than occasional rocks.  

• Like 1

RJC1965

I have a screen shot it recommends putting them in. I guess I will I tend to struggle putting them on. Maybe I will have these mounted professionally. I will likely fill them good point taken on tubes for filling. 

IMG_0698.png

• Like 2

ebinmaine
50 minutes ago, RJC1965 said:

it recommends putting them in.

To my mind a "recommendation" is something one should do, but may do without.  

They used the word "required". 

That's a non negotiable term.  

I'd absolutely agree with getting the tires and tubes professionally mounted. 

Preferably by the same place that would fluid fill them.  

That way you KNOW the tubes are the proper ones for their machines.  

• Like 6

AHS

@ebinmaine i have AG’s filled with citrus, non tubed….i wish they were tubed!!!

• Like 3

Tonytoro416

Do you then fill the tubes with fluid?   I don’t have tubes in any of my loaded tires.   I use Rimguard beet juice product which weighs at least a few pounds more per gallon than washer fluid etc.  

• Like 3

pfrederi

If you have Black locust or other thorny plants it is easier to plug a tubeless tire than to demount and patch/replace a tube...

• Like 3

Pullstart

I mounted some ribbed tires for my loader project WITHOUT tubes and still fluid filled them.  Why?  For experimental purposes.  Normally I load the tubes with fluid using some sort of pump or air over fluid.  

• Like 2

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, Tonytoro416 said:

Do you then fill the tubes with fluid?   I don’t have tubes in any of my loaded tires.   I use Rimguard beet juice product which weighs at least a few pounds more per gallon than washer fluid etc.  

On 10/28/2023 at 8:49 AM, ebinmaine said:

IT MAKES SETTING THE BEAD A NON ISSUE and fluid filling easier to accomplish

@Tonytoro416  I used tubes for the above reason and also because a tubed type it's easier FOR ME to fill with more fluid.

Install the tire.

Inflate to set the bead. 

Deflate the tube as much as possible preferably using a vacuum system.

When you fluid fill the tire, the tube will be able to hold more fluid with the machinery that we use here.

17 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

If you have Black locust or other thorny plants it is easier to plug a tubeless tire than to demount and patch/replace a tube...

Definitely a thing that needs to be accounted for. 

• Like 1

Streetrodchev

I have two sets of the V61 tires in service, I mounted them without tubes several years ago. 
I now have tubes in two of the tires, intermittent leaks at the bead, I’m not sure if it was from dirt getting in there (from moldboard plowing), but it was the right side tire on each tractor that got a tube. 

• Like 3

WHX??

If I am not mistaken all V-61s require tubes. My tire guy said tires with small ribs on the bead area require tubes.

Usually tires are marked tubeless if you can run them without tubes.

Great fronts for a loader BTW.

18.50 x 8s

20211010_094624.jpg

• Like 2

953 nut

One thing you should consider is that the tire manufacturer wants to have a happy customer.  They know what works well with their tire and what won't. If you buy tubes be sure to avoid the cheap no-name brands because lots of people have been reporting new inner tubes coming apart at the seams when first inflated.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

reporting new inner tubes coming apart at the seams when first inflated.

Agreed. 

We had one that was installed for a few months or a year and slowly losing air most of that time. Turns out the rubber circle that holds the valve stem in place was delaminated.  

• Like 1

C-85

The tubes I've recently been buying are usually made by Firestone (at least that's what's on the tube), and they're made in Vietnam.  I haven't had any problems yet with these.

C-85

• Like 3

RJC1965
9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

One thing you should consider is that the tire manufacturer wants to have a happy customer.  They know what works well with their tire and what won't. If you buy tubes be sure to avoid the cheap no-name brands because lots of people have been reporting new inner tubes coming apart at the seams when first inflated.

What is a good brand of tubes to buy I would rather pay more and not have future headaches. Thanks 

RJC1965
10 hours ago, WHX?? said:

If I am not mistaken all V-61s require tubes. My tire guy said tires with small ribs on the bead area require tubes.

Usually tires are marked tubeless if you can run them without tubes.

Great fronts for a loader BTW.

18.50 x 8s

20211010_094624.jpg

I am going to put tubes in and the 18.5 X 8. What size and brand on the rear. How are they in snow. Did you see any advantage to adding the front hubs I saw some on here do that and yours are still the hub type. My 520H is a 1996 so should have the 1 inch spindles. Thanks 

953 nut
5 minutes ago, RJC1965 said:

What is a good brand of tubes to buy I would rather pay more and not have future headaches. Thanks 

Like @C-85, Firestone has worked well for him. I have bought a couple at the local Good Year store that were very nice. I would not want to buy from an online outlet because if the tube fails you will have to have a replacement shipped to you and that puts you out of operation.

RJC1965

Thanks for all the information I am going to tube the fronts which will likely be the V-61. Still not sure for the rear tires what I will get.I was considering doing the trailer hub style fronts with studs just not sure for the money. I hear the V-61 are tough to mount would most suggest going to a tire shop and what shops mount the small tractor type tires. On my other 520H I mounted the Kenda Terra Trac I have a harbor freight tire changer but you can use it on the fronts and those were tough. Thanks 

RJC1965
24 minutes ago, RJC1965 said:

I am going to put tubes in and the 18.5 X 8. What size and brand on the rear. How are they in snow. Did you see any advantage to adding the front hubs I saw some on here do that and yours are still the hub type. My 520H is a 1996 so should have the 1 inch spindles. Thanks 

Are those tires the 18-8.5 X 8 I was looking at the Greater Cleveland Tire they said to use a 8X7 rim are those the same size you have and are yours on the stock rims. Thanks 

WHX??
1 hour ago, RJC1965 said:

I am going to put tubes in and the 18.5 X 8. What size and brand on the rear. How are they in snow.

Rears are just Carlisle True Powers in 10.5-12. Loaded and weighted to beat the band. Inside Cub weights and outside whatever I had laying around. I lose traction alot with a heavy load but always on a uphill climb but I live on a sand hill. 

Got chinamen looking up at up at me the ruts she'll dig. 

Fronts are on stock rims & since they already tapered Timkens I see no reason to go to trailer hubs. 

Edit...

To answer the snow? She doesn't see much snow action so really can't answer that. Couple of times I did have it out in snow very respectfully but it was just mostly pushing banks back with tires on clean asphalt. 

Edited by WHX??
Add

WHX??
1 hour ago, RJC1965 said:

have a harbor freight tire changer but you can use it on the fronts and those were tough. Thanks 

HF mini changer works for me on all tires up to 6 ply. Struggle yes but works. Spoons are a great help. No problems on 4 ply or less. Only 6-12s but still. 

20200228_092442.jpg

20200228_092548.jpg

20200228_093246.jpg

V-61s are not hard to mount at all with this tool. I don't take them to a tire shop as it takes days and they bend me over. Best advice is get thet tire in the sun or warm and use lube.

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

Wild Bill 633

Wheel Weights.jpg

Edited by Wild Bill 633
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 6

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, RJC1965 said:

How are they in snow

10 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Edit...

To answer the snow? She doesn't see much snow action so really can't answer that. Couple of times I did have it out in snow very respectfully but it was just mostly pushing banks back with tires on clean asphalt. 

@RJC1965 Do you have an asphalt driveway?

If no asphalt, metal chains  ⛓️ ⛓️ ⛓️ .

If you do have a tarred area, get rubber chains.  

• Like 1

RJC1965
11 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@RJC1965 Do you have an asphalt driveway?

If no asphalt, metal chains  ⛓️ ⛓️ ⛓️ .

If you do have a tarred area, get rubber chains.  

I have a concrete pad and majority is gravel. I have some V-Bar chains I could run those no need to go on the concrete part .

• Like 2