MAWHguy2019

Simple Engine Oil

MAWHguy2019

Hi everyone, let me preface this by saying that I am not looking to open a heated debate or scientific dissertation on this topic.

I like to keep things simple. I have two lawn mowers (2022 Briggs and 2023 Honda), two tractors (Engines: 1988 Briggs and 1989 Kohler) and two snowblowers (2022 Ariens). I am looking to get recommendations for one oil for summer (tractors and mowers) and one for winter (tractors and snow blowers). Common brand, one I can buy in 5q containers and go to the local store and pickup. Simple.

Suggestions? Frankly, there are just too many options these days and I am lost.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

This is what i've used for years, year round, in my 10 hp Kohler.

image.jpeg.c2b231620ae6361e63a04854773c6408.jpeg

:popcorn:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 3

sjoemie himself

:text-yeahthat: 

I work at Claas (tractor) dealership but we service all brands of tractors, wheel loaders and harvest equipment. Every engine on all of those machines gets the same 10W40 oil. No problem whatsoever. Just maybe don't mix synthetic oil with mineral oil.

To quote the great Taryl Fixes All "It's Not The Space Shuttle, It's A Lawn Mower" :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

MAWHguy2019

Sylvan, do you know what the temp range is for the Shell Rotella? I thought SAE 30 was only good to 32 F.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I have run straight 30 weight in every piece of yard equipment since I was 12 years old ( pushed mowers to buy my first car.) I am now 75 yrs. old. 

• Like 3

953 nut

Rather than obtaining opinions from various people I would suggest you consult the Owner Manuals for their recommendations.

Real men do read owner manuals;      as a last resort!      :ychain:.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/category/13-kohler/

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q=briggs&type=downloads_file&nodes=15&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH
38 minutes ago, MAWHguy2019 said:

Sylvan, do you know what the temp range is for the Shell Rotella? I thought SAE 30 was only good to 32 F.

Nope.

Garage kept and I warm them up.

Never an issue.

But I am sure it's a problem to some folks and that's ok. These are not fighter jets and it's worked really well for many years based on input from folks on this site and elsewhere who are way smarter than me. 

But for the record, it appears Kohler concurs with your 32 degree range. As @953 nut comments above, here's what Kohler owners manual says:  

IMG_2598.png

• Like 2

J854D

I agree with @953 nut. It might not be as simple as one oil for summer and one oil for winter for all your different engines. It would be best to see what the manufacturer suggests for each engine and go from there. Especially since you have several 2020 era engines that could be equipped with overhead cams and valves and have tighter engine tolerances. They each could require specific oils to keep them properly lubricated. -JD-

Edited by J854D
  • Like 3

JoeM

I went to full synthetic diesel oil a few years back. I like the full syn in air cooled engine because of the better heat transfer. Also, it has high zinc content for anti wear. And I also have a lot of machines and wanted to keep it simple on the oil side, Winter or Summer 

image.png.e58c22c4ffd40b5d294e8a7ca53319cc.png

• Like 4

ri702bill
12 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

This is what i've used for years, year round, in my 10 hp Kohler.

image.jpeg.c2b231620ae6361e63a04854773c6408.jpeg

:popcorn:

I also use the Rotella T1 30 weight for the summer months then use the T4 10W30 for the winter months. Makes starting easier when the temp outside is around zero....

A good excuse to change the oil twice a year...

Bill

• Like 2

peter lena

@MAWHguy2019 regular ROTELLA  user , 30 wt. like a 5/30 over winter , notice the faster , conversion to warm up with it , have also been adding , RISLONE   zinc, to my oils now for years , the operational running ease ,and engine cleaning has been very evident . regularly do all my servicing , and have no issues with it , also have zero engine smoke , regularly experiment with areas , to make a gain / change . went over to Lucas climbing gear oil , in my 3 horses , zero noise , easy shifting . do a regular operational check over after every usage . also add  STABIL fuel additive to all my gas , clean fuel filters , carb bowls , clean / clear . like you , want to keep it simple , find a consistent running / usage , set up and maintain it  ,do it every time , I  am on the tractors , pete

squonk
18 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I have run straight 30 weight in every piece of yard equipment since I was 12 years old ( pushed mowers to buy my first car.) I am now 75 yrs. old. 

I think it's about time you changed the oil in your push mower! :teasing-poke:

• Haha 4

squonk

Newer engines have lots of plastic parts. Use what they recommend

• Like 3

MAWHguy2019

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'll keep you posted on what I choose.

kpinnc
On 10/20/2023 at 7:02 PM, MAWHguy2019 said:

It's also available in multi-weight. The main takeaway is the zinc additives in diesel oil that are not in regular automotive oil. 

hotajax
On 10/21/2023 at 4:38 AM, JoeM said:

I went to full synthetic diesel oil a few years back. I like the full syn in air cooled engine because of the better heat transfer. Also, it has high zinc content for anti wear. And I also have a lot of machines and wanted to keep it simple on the oil side, Winter or Summer 

image.png.e58c22c4ffd40b5d294e8a7ca53319cc.png

A definite year-round oil. Another plus is really fast crank when you start it up on a chilly day.

Edited by hotajax
  • Like 2

Wild Bill 633

@peter lena mentioned he uses Shell Rotella SAE30 along with a zinc additive. My understanding is diesel oils have higher zinc levels than gasoline oils. If this is true, is the addition of zinc necessary? 

peter lena

@Wild Bill 633 ,  testy area , been listening to , you can't do that , for years , my fist experiment with this , was a typical , neglected / abused / low black oil engine . often run in a used engine on a separate gallon of heavily treated gas ,drop carb bowl , hand suck over carb . use 2 ounces of zinc for  each QT of oil  , directions . engine heat , makes this work / clean . these engines are anything but, anew type / design , basic stuff , personally have found smoother / easier running / zero smoke . regularly check my lubricants / fuel , etc. for any changes , thats the verification of change / improvement . do a lot of experimenting , in all areas , to make things better .  terrifying to many , its worked for years for me , retired , millwright , Pete   

MAWHguy2019

I went with the Shell Rotella, one for winter, the other for summer (summah, here in New England). I'll keep you posted.